It May Be Out of Style, but ...

Jules

SF VIP
All these home reno shows are changing some things that I think are practical.

When our house was being built, one that I insisted on was a mirrored cabinet about the sink in the ensuite. I hide all my everyday products behind those.

Another thing I like is upper cabinets in the kitchen. So many of the renovated houses have open shelves. Again, I like to hide things.

We had our 14 year old home kitchen cupboards updated about 12 months ago which included wall cupboards we couldn’t afford when the home was built ,I’m sure the builder adds their bit to the price of any extras you want when building as well as in this case the kitchen installers.
I don’t like the modern glass doors wall cupboards in kitchens or shelves .....I live in the driest state in Australia in a cereal/ sheep farming area and get lots of dust in summer I’d be forever dusting having shelves.
( We don’t live on a farm ) only a small modern house type block of land

We had our 14 year old home kitchen cupboards updated about 12 months ago which included wall cupboards we couldn’t afford when the home was built ,I’m sure the builder adds their bit to the price of any extras you want when building as well as in this case the kitchen installers.
I don’t like the modern glass doors wall cupboards in kitchens or shelves .....I live in the driest state in Australia in a cereal/ sheep farming area and get lots of dust in summer I’d be forever dusting having shelves.
( We don’t live on a farm ) only a small modern house type block of land

I basically live in a city on a desert, so there's a lot of sand blowing around here, too, and it creeps in no matter how hard you try to keep in out. It gets everywhere. I don't want to be having to wash grit out of every dish I own every time I want to use it, so I'm a big fan of doors on cabinets, too.

I basically live in a city on a desert, so there's a lot of sand blowing around here, too, and it creeps in no matter how hard you try to keep in out. It gets everywhere. I don't want to be having to wash grit out of every dish I own every time I want to use it, so I'm a big fan of doors on cabinets, too.
It’s nice here at the moment @Butterfly cause everything is nice and green lots of barely and wheat crops 2 Min walk from me ( we are just getting into spring here ) but in summer / harvest time that’s a different story.
EF46227E-C533-4D4C-8184-24687339DE4B.jpeg

We had our kitchen completely remodeled a couple of years ago. Took it down to the studs, new floors, cabinets, the works. White cabinets and open shelves are all the rage, but I told my contractor that I wanted wood grain instead. He asked why. I told him that I'm not that ambitious. White cabinets show every fingerprint, splash, bit of dust, etc.

I wipe down all of my cabinet doors a couple times a year, and at times in-between when I notice a splash mark, but I refuse to be a slave to them. White cabinets and open shelves screamed, "You'll be cleaning me on a regular basis!" Not interested.

While on the topic of trends, what's with the lack of paint color diversity these days? Interiors and exteriors - talk about 50 shades of grey. Seems every house in my neighborhood goes to grey when being repainted. Wonder if in ten years grey will be a tell-tale sign of when they chose their colors - like glass block in the 80s or avocado appliances in the 60s.

We had our kitchen completely remodeled a couple of years ago. Took it down to the studs, new floors, cabinets, the works. White cabinets and open shelves are all the rage, but I told my contractor that I wanted wood grain instead. He asked why. I told him that I'm not that ambitious. White cabinets show every fingerprint, splash, bit of dust, etc.

I wipe down all of my cabinet doors a couple times a year, and at times in-between when I notice a splash mark, but I refuse to be a slave to them. White cabinets and open shelves screamed, "You'll be cleaning me on a regular basis!" Not interested.

While on the topic of trends, what's with the lack of paint color diversity these days? Interiors and exteriors - talk about 50 shades of grey. Seems every house in my neighborhood goes to grey when being repainted. Wonder if in ten years grey will be a tell-tale sign of when they chose their colors - like glass block in the 80s or avocado appliances in the 60s.
You know, they say you can predict the state of the future by the interior decorator's color trends. I often thought of this with the grey rage - look where we are this year, lets face it grey is for prisons and Navy boats. Now the new "neutral" is gringe...lol.

https://www.bhg.com/decorating/color/paint/2020-paint-color-forecast/

When our house was being built, one that I insisted on was a mirrored cabinet about the sink in the ensuite. I hide all my everyday products behind those.

Another thing I like is upper cabinets in the kitchen. So many of the renovated houses have open shelves. Again, I like to hide things.
Yes it does look neater with closed cabinets.

No open shelves for me either, especially the kitchen, but also when it comes to rooms such as libraries. I much prefer a glassed-in design when it comes to built-in bookcases than simple open shelving.

Here is a great example.

Casa Loma history (Toronto's castle on the hill) – Bright Lights of America

Once they can figure out something to use as the "new neutral" besides the great old standby beige, all this grey fad will become like the hula hoop - "overnight instant dated". Hey, lets face it...that means more money for the paint companies and Home Depot! Grey will be oh so passe!

My parents built their forever home in the 90s and had a local woodworker custom build oak cabinets. Mom incorporated glass doors on some of the upper cabinets, a baking center with doors that extend from counter to the top of the cabinets and one small section of open shelving for knickknacks and photos. I still love them even though they're not in style these days. The wood grain is beautiful, the craftsmanship perfect, and it's obvious they were designed for the room. My more fashion forward sister told mom recently that she should chalk paint them. :oops: She got a quick, sharpish "No."

All I can think of when I see all the open shelves on the home shows is dusting which I hate to do.

Last edited:
Speaking of open shelves.....no thanks. But, I do love a white kitchen. Used to have one. I put little white knobs on all the cabinets, so my fingerprints wouldnt get all over them.

Agree about the overload of grey, my new neighbor that moved in across the street...that I see everytime I look out my kitchen window, just painted their house grey!! I'm like 'I dont f'n believe it' With white trim, of course.

When will this craze be over??????

I remember looking over our family den, and living room area, after a sandstorm came across the valley in Phoenix years ago. The sand definitely made it's way into everything on the side from which the wind blew it through. There was no keeping it out.

White for a kitchen is classic. It will be back in no time. I love my white kitchen with stainless steel appliances and fresh green plants on the windowsill. I had a big box light removed from the ceiling and replaced with recessed lights.

I'm in agreement with everyone about open shelving. I like protected dishes and glasses.

White for a kitchen is classic. It will be back in no time. I love my white kitchen with stainless steel appliances and fresh green plants on the windowsill. I had a big box light removed from the ceiling and replaced with recessed lights.

I'm in agreement with everyone about open shelving. I like protected dishes and glasses.
White kitchens will undoubtedly remain fashionable for a very long time.

There's a big difference in style depending on where you live. At the beach, everything is white, light gray and turquoise. On a whim, I was just looking for a house to buy in Boulder Colorado (since my daughter wants to move back there and there's not much inventory at the beach right now during hurricane season...go figure o_O ).

Staging in CO was all about extreme minimalism with modern accents in black, earthtones, and a touch of red (generalization of course).
Clutter seems to be out of style darn it. Well, I've just finished decluttering attics, garage, house....letting go has been a toughie but I had help from my Denver daughter. She's been an angel💛. My NC Beach daughter is staying here. My CA daughter will have to live without me :giggle: as will my Seattle son. Seattle riots and CA fires in the news...need I say more.

Last edited:
In style or not, white, off-white, and cream coloured kitchens will always be and always have been my first choice when it comes to kitchens, and I just love glass fronted cupboards and cabinetry.

So traditional and timeless, so grand and elegant.

20 Ways to Create a French Country Kitchen | Country kitchen designs,  Country style kitchen, French country dining room

Leo Design ~ Chicago | Kitchen remodel, New kitchen cabinets, Home kitchens

Blog - Homework Remodels | Shabby chic dining room, Chic dining room,  Shabby chic dining

Dream Kitchen Must-Haves | Home, House, New homes

Friday Favorites - The Timeless Beauty and Practicality of White Kitchens

How to Make Your Kitchen Beautiful with Glass Cabinet Doors — Heather  Hungeling Design

kitchen hardware for a classic white kitchen | Laurel Bern Interiors

Image result for kitchen cabinets glass doors | Glass fronted kitchen  cabinets, Glass kitchen cabinet doors, Glass kitchen cabinets

Back