Jazz Anyone?

My taste in Jazz runs the Gambit of 40's big band to 70's/80's Fusion and beyond.

Jazz musicians play for each other; playing off each other's talent and feelings.
They let us into their world.

Not much fame or money in what they produce.

It is my go-to-music when I need to just 'feel'.

( Hang around for the Bass solo, it's worth the wait... )

My taste in Jazz runs the Gambit of 40's big band to 70's/80's Fusion and beyond.

Jazz musicians play for each other; playing off each other's talent and feelings.
They let us into their world.

Not much fame or money in what they produce.

It is my go-to-music when I need to just 'feel'.

( Hang around for the Bass solo, it's worth the wait... )

Love Jean Luc Ponty. I know met a few musicians who played with him.

I met Narada MIchael Walden. Maybe the single most positive human being, I ever met.

while taking my 4 year old granddaughter to breakfast one day
we sat with her and her parents and the topic of Music came up in between bites of pancake she looked up and said ... " I like smooth Jazz "

At 4yr old we are pretty sure she had no idea what she was saying ...
she was very angry that we all, including waiter laughed ...........................so now daughter will play some for her and she says she likes it ... not sure if she does or is just making a point.

Back in 1968, my older brother was in college in Hawaii, and I was in high school.
He took a job as a late-night disc jockey to help pay his way, at a small radio station.
The owner decided to change formats from Jazz/Classical to a more profitable Rock Station.
He brought home boxes of albums they were going to get rid of.
He told me if there was anything I liked to take it.
I was into the New stuff, Hendrix, Cream, Doors, etc. and these were Jazz and such, so
I figured where wasn't anything I would like.

I grabbed a stack and took them to my room to play them on my phonograph and lo and behold,
an album hit a cord with me that has lasted to this day.
It started my journey in Jazz and I come back to it often.
When they speak of 'Classics' in Jazz, this comes to mind.

Just a taste from the album Getz/Giberto 1964

Back in 1968, my older brother was in college in Hawaii, and I was in high school.
He took a job as a late-night disc jockey to help pay his way, at a small radio station.
The owner decided to change formats from Jazz/Classical to a more profitable Rock Station.
He brought home boxes of albums they were going to get rid of.
He told me if there was anything I liked to take it.
I was into the New stuff, Hendrix, Cream, Doors, etc. and these were Jazz and such, so
I figured where wasn't anything I would like.

I grabbed a stack and took them to my room to play them on my phonograph and lo and behold,
an album hit a cord with me that has lasted to this day.
It started my journey in Jazz and I come back to it often.
When they speak of 'Classics' in Jazz, this comes to mind.

Just a taste from the album Getz/Giberto 1964

both amazing artists.

Stan Kenton was my all time favorite jazz orchestra. Saw him in person when I was about 21. I stood in front of the band and let the sound of all those brass instruments surround me. I'll never forget it. He had gray hair then.

Last edited:
Back in the 80s I was in Georgetown and we were looking for a small quiet bar. The first place we stopped had a $20 cover charge, a lot for back then.

I asked why and they told us Dizzy Gillespie would be playing, and they had just opened so we could have our choice of tables.

Never spent a better $20, a seat right next to the stage, no more than 10 to 15 ft from where Dizzy was playing! He was getting older and not at his peak, but that didn't matter to us, he was great. A really nice memory.

Got to see Sweet Emma the Bell Gal at Preservation Hall, in the 70s. More than once, more great memories. She isn't playing the piano a lot in this video, a shame even after her stroke she played great one handed.

Back