Jesse Ferguson, Scotland the Brave

Meanderer

Supreme Member
"Scotland the Brave," melody traditional, lyrics by Cliff Hanley, performed by Jesse Ferguson, the Bard of Cornwall. This song is considered the unofficial Scottish national anthem.

That song was fairly popular on the radio when I was a kid! Different words, different name. I had forgotten about it. Good song.

My Bonnie Lassie - The Ames Brothers
"Charted at #11 Pop in Billboard in November, 1955."

Last edited:
I don't have to listen to any of those Videos , but thanks for posting them. I am a born and Raised Scottish lassie, and I was weaned on those songs..and then fed them almost every day of my life including having to sing them in the school choir.. so, enough for me..lol

I don't have to listen to any of those Videos , but thanks for posting them. I am a born and Raised Scottish lassie, and I was weaned on those songs..and then fed them almost every day of my life including having to sing them in the school choir.. so, enough for me..lol
I wish our national anthem were as pretty, and as much fun to sing. You can't even march to it.:rolleyes: That song has now become my earworm song for two days. :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Last edited:
Hoot Mon!
CN6SGfKUAAAB43W.jpg

This Is Your Fight Song!

"Traditional Scottish ballad, "I Once Loved a Lass" (Roud # 154), performed by Canadian musician Jesse Ferguson. I learned this one from the Corries, though I got the chords and lyrics from the Clancy Brothers Songbook. I guess I'm a sucker for sad ballads . . ."

I Once Loved a Lass Jesse Ferguson

Ok. So I have to ask as I'll again be in Scotland in a few months. Do Scots really like bagpipes, or are they just 'tolerated'. It so happens I like listening to pipers, but DW can't tolerate them. I even have CD's of traditional Scot songs done by the pipes.

The Sun Set on My Love (original)

"One of Jesse Ferguson's earliest original songs, "The Sun Set on My Love." It's a simple song in the folk music style, and the full studio version is available on Jesse's latest CD".

The Recruiting Sergeant

Bob Hallett's Canadian version of the traditional Scottish ballad "Twa Recruiting Sergeants." Hallett's version adapts the Scottish song to record the tragic loss of many young Newfoundlanders in WWI. Here's a link that discusses this regional variant: http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/...

Two recruiting sergeants came to the CLB,
For the sons of the merchants to join the Blue Puttees;
So all hands enlisted, five hundred young men,
Enlist, you Newfoundlanders, and come follow me.

They crossed the broad Atlantic in the brave Florizel,
On the sands of Suvla, they entered into hell;
And on those bloody beaches, the first of them fell,

And it's over the mountains and over the sea,
Come, brave Newfoundlanders, and join The Blue Puttees;
You'll fight the Hun in Flanders, and at Gallipoli,

The call came from London for the last July drive,
"To the trenches with the Regiment, prepare yourselves to die."
The roll call next morning, just a handful survived,

And it's over the mountains and over the sea,

The store men on Water Street still cry for the day,
When the pride of their city went marching away;
A thousand men slaughtered to hear the King say,

So it's over the mountains and over the sea,

So it's over the mountains and over the sea,

"Traditional Scottish song, "MacPherson's Lament" (aka "MacPherson's Rant"), performed by Jesse Ferguson on mandolin. The melody of this song is reputedly by James MacPherson, the words by Robbie Burns".

Traditional sea shanty, "All for Me Grog," performed by Canadian folk musician Jesse Ferguson on guitar. "Grog" is a drink made with rum (or sometimes just rum).

All for Me Grog

Back