Joined the YMCA Today.

We go to the Wellness Center, which is like a regular fitness center or YMCA with the pool, hot tub, and exercise equipment. Since our Medicare Advantage plan includes Silver Sneakers, it does not cost anything for membership at the Wellness Center. We sometimes go every day, but more often around 4 times a week.
My husband lifts weights, and does strength training exercises, and I swim and do water fitness exercises. I always feel so good afterwards, and it helps a lot for keeping the arthritis and such under control.
I think that even if we can’t do what we used to be able to do anymore, we should always do as much as we safely can do, and swimming is something that is easy enough for me to do still.

I'm glad you found somewhere that works for you. I just joined the Y in my little town. I know what you mean about the kids. There are a LOT of them here too. Because I am still working, I get a corporate discount and a senior discount both. My membership is about $21.00 a month. I paid for the year. We will see how it works out.

They have a lot of senior activities at the Y here. Even if you are not a member, they have days for seniors to get together for cards, games, etc. One of my neighbors goes for the yoga classes in the mornings, that's for me! Also swimming when it isn't overrun.

My insurance has a "Silver Sneakers" program at the Y. It's free to us over 65. I use to use all of it but now that my right leg is giving me major fits I can't do it anymore.

Just have your Dr. fill out the form you need this so you don't have to pay their ridiculous prices.

For some reason, the YMCA here is not part of Silver Sneakers, although there are several of the fitness clubs that are part of SS. The Wellness Center is the only one with a swimming pool at its facilities, and since it is part of Huntsville Hospital system, we really do not have kids at the facilities, almost everyone is either a senior, or works at the hospital .
It takes my husband an hour to go through his workout, so that is how long I swim, which is usually somewhere around a half-mile, give or take.
We both really enjoy going to the fitness center, and are really glad that it is available for us. I definitely recommend swimming and water exercises for anyone who enjoys swimming, and has a facility with a pool close by.

One of the things that I like best (besides being able to go to the fitness center and swim and sit in the hot tub), is that my Silver Sneakers is through Humana, and they give me a $10 amazon gift card each month, just for tracking my SS visits and my walking steps. It is like a little extra bonus for trying to stay healthy !

Our YMCA is super expensive so I joined Planet Fitness. They have lots of strength training equipment and the gym is so empty I can work out wherever I want. Just a thought.

Back