Joni Mitchell innovates and evolves

"Another old video clip from 1985 , Joni performing on Wogan on the Beeb.
This is from her album ' Dog Eat Dog ' on the record she duets with Michael McDonald , live she's singing with British songwriter/ session singer Michael J.Mullins who used to be with the group Modern Romance. Think he does a pretty good job".

Joni Mitchell - Good Friends ( live )

155cad6ead2a531a7c9a8cc2b4672b80.jpg

Joni Mitchell as a teenager

113.jpg

"Try to learn any of the hundreds of Joni Mitchell’s songs and you’ll find something that’s a bit peculiar: all of her songs use several different and strange open tunings,[SUP]*[/SUP] that give her guitar an ethereal and full sound. Open tunings are very popular in folk and blues. But Joni had another big reason to use them: when she was just 9 years old Joni contracted Polio, which seriously affected her left hand. Playing with opening tunings made it easier for her to learn to play the guitar. According to Joni, her limitation then became 'a tool to break free of standard approaches to harmony and structure' in her songwriting – and a breath of fresh air for music lovers, even today. "

Five Guitarists who Overcame Physical Disabilities

[SUP]*[/SUP]Open tuning means you tune the strings of a guitar differently, usually so that strumming the strings, when not fretted (open), produce a chord.

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Blue
Joni Mitchell
Blue
Songs are like tattoos
You know I've been to sea before
Crown and anchor me
Or let me sail away
Hey Blue
And there is a song for you
Ink on a pin
Underneath the skin
An empty space to fill in
Well there're so many sinking
Now you've got to keep thinking
You can make it thru these waves
Acid, booze, and ass
Needles, guns, and grass
Lots of laughs
Lots of laughs
Everybody's saying that hell's the hippest way to go well
I don't think so, but I'm
Gonna take a look around it though Blue
I love you

Blue
Here is a shell for you
Inside you'll hear a sigh
A foggy lullaby
There is your song from me

Joni Mitchell welcomes Jian Ghomeshi into her California home for a rare and revealing interview. (2013)

Last edited:
Joni Mitchell welcomes Jian Ghomeshi into her California home for a rare and revealing interview. (2013)
I've seen this excellent interview. The one thing that surprised me, is that she's a chain-smoker. Obviously it didn't affect her voice.

Back