Just A Thought About Our Yesterday and Tomorrow

I'm happy to live now. It was difficult enough being female in the second half of the 20th century, wouldn't want to give it a go a hundred years earlier.

No contest - I'll take modern conveniences like indoor plumbing, central heating and air conditioning, fully stocked grocery stores and instant communication.

@hollydolly seems to have found the best of both worlds. Rural living that's not far from a town and a major city.

I'm happy to live now. It was difficult enough being female in the second half of the 20th century, wouldn't want to give it a go a hundred years earlier.

No contest - I'll take modern conveniences like indoor plumbing, central heating and air conditioning, fully stocked grocery stores and instant communication.

@hollydolly seems to have found the best of both worlds. Rural living that's not far from a town and a major city.
absolutely, and genuinely because this whole country is smaller than the state of Oregon, even living in the deep countryside, ( and I'm not deep inside, ).. is still within a decent travelling distance to amenities because we don't have the luxury of huge open spaces between towns and cities..or countryside..as does the USA..

Our biggest problem for those who live outside of cities and large towns like me is the distance to the nearest hospital.. our hospitals are much fewer now than they once were, and so you often get as in my case..One hospital a good distance from here for example.. who serves the needs of a couple of million people in dozens of surrounding towns and villages... hence the very long waiting lists...

Our biggest problem for those who live outside of cities and large towns like me is the distance to the nearest hospital.. our hospitals are much fewer now than they once were, and so you often get as in my case..One hospital a good distance from here for example.. who serves the needs of a couple of million people in dozens of surrounding towns and villages... hence the very long waiting lists...
Wow! There are at least 12 hospitals within 15 miles of me, some quite large. Over 2500 beds, all told, serving about two million people. Plus many more hospitals in adjacent areas. My closest hospital is 3 miles away.

Seems no place is perfect.

Wow! There are at least 12 hospitals within 15 miles of me, some quite large. Over 2500 beds, all told, serving about two million people. Plus many more hospitals in adjacent areas. My closest hospital is 3 miles away.

Seems no place is perfect.
our medical may be free at source but we pay a high price for it in long waiting lists not only for hopsital procedures but also for Doctor appointments

When we first moved here it was in part because Son and his family lived in Mesa, AZ ---which gets too hot for me. DIL's family is mostly in Denver. My village about halfway between, a day's drive--so if they moved back i'd still be just a day long drive from them. When i told my son Owen about the place, he said "That could be very good for Liam to have a grandma with a house in the country. They visit once year, save for 2020. Grandson will be 13 in December. He always loves visiting. Owen wants me to have 'projects' for Liam next time--get him off the devices (yes he hit that age phone goes on first thing--but to his credit a lot of his use is looking up history and science stuff that interest him). He's on the Autism spectrum. He seems to like the more natural sounds here, they aren't as jarring as city sounds. (Have to agree with him, part of reason for the choice.)

The banner on my page is sunrise shot i took. The views, especially to the east and NE are what hooked me.

low clouds.jpgRainbow2.jpgmtns to NE from hill.jpg

Last edited:
I can typically get a doctor's appointment within two days, often the same day if I'm willing to see a doctor other than my primary provider.
was the same here up until C-19 hit, now it's normal to wait 4 weeks for an appointment with a doctor (GP) unless it's an emergency that needs seen to the same day.. and even then they'll often opt just phone to check that it really does need to be seen that day... ad if they think it can wait they'll make us wait or be sent to the ER.. where the wait there can be anything up to 8 or 9 hours to be seen

I'd love to find a senior apartment with a great view and located in a city next to a park system that had beautiful maintained trails and some sort of flower area. That would be my ideal.
When I was younger I lived in an extremely convenient city high rise where I could just take the elevator down and be in an underground shopping area that had dentist, hair dresser, grocery store, restaurants, boutiques, etc, as well as underground access to the metro train that I could take to college campus or to downtown activities (zoo, horse shows, museums, etc). The apartment had a great view (at that time, tho another high rise was being built next to our building). But there were no stars or great outdoors.
And I lived in the country in Colorado, and there was great outdoors, deer, elk, bear, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. The predators sometimes ruined the feeling of safety outdoors tho.
Now I live in rural Nebraska in an area where there is plenty of great outdoors and no predator activity that endangers humans, but I really miss the convenience and sophistication of a big city. Omaha is too small and the standards in Nebraska are icky low, things just aren't run well or done right.

was the same here up until C-19 hit, now it's normal to wait 4 weeks for an appointment with a doctor (GP) unless it's an emergency that needs seen to the same day.. and even then they'll often opt just phone to check that it really does need to be seen that day... ad if they think it can wait they'll make us wait or be sent to the ER.. where the wait there can be anything up to 8 or 9 hours to be seen
Do your doctors' offices, clinics or hospitals offer urgent care centers? It's the step between a doctor visit and the ER. Usually a low copay, similar to a doctor visit, but you get seen fairly quickly - usually within an hour or two.

Covid has thrown a big monkey wrench into the healthcare works here, as well.

Yes we have walk-in clinics... technically they're not walk in you still need to have an appointment but if it's something that needs seeing to , say after doctors office hours or at weekends, we call the walk-in clinic on 111 , they will asses on the phone if the Doc can help , and a doc will call back, and assess the situation and make an appointment usually within an hour or 2 but unless it's something which can be treated with OTC meds.. will almost always refer us to the ER... with the long waits especially at weekends when there's hardly any consultants working, and lots of drunks and druggies taking up the ER doctor times.....

Back