Just contacted several charities to remove me from mailing lists

Marie5656

I have been getting a bit fed up with a couple organizations sending almost monthly newsletters/requests for donations. I have not donated in years..and feel it is a waste of their money to keep sending me these mailings when all I do is throw them in the trash. I am not against donating...just the constant mailings when I am not sending the money
Hope it helps

When a relative died a few years ago, the family requested donations to an order of nuns who operate the assisted care facility where my sister-in-law and brother-in-law live.

Boy, once you send a check to those old Holy Gals, they never let up. They have God on their side and they're not shy about letting you know, either.

All kidding aside, I'll send them a check as usual. I'm scared not to!

Last edited:
The original owner of motel my daughter works at has been dead 2 yrs and several charities are still sending monthly requests despite the family informing them repeatedly. Since current owners (family of the couple that built the place live an hour a way we pick up the mail at PO Box. The St. Jude one has this saying on front of envelope about 'Cancer doesn't wait..'. Since the original owner, whom i knew, died of cancer i find that one particularly annoying.

But you know it's not just charities: AARP wastes tons of paper each year soliciting membership. (I have even tried sending as much as i can back to them in their postage paid envelope with note to please cease and detest several times in one year to no avail). And if i had a dollar for every 'last catalogue from us' i get from various companies i could probably afford an item from one of them.

Too bad there isn’t a yearly report that lists all the charities that solicit too often. Or a place online.

When I make a charity to a new organization, I warn them that they’ll never, ever get another cent from me if they solicit directly. I’m true to my word. So far, it seems to have worked lately.

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of donating to Feeding America, thinking I was doing something good because so many had lost jobs or hours due to the pandemic. Next thing I know, every time I turned around there were mailings not only from them, but other feed the hungry charities. I called each of them and asked them to remove me from their lists. I also threw in that I tend to not donate to charities that send me solicitations. Same story, "it will take up to 3 months for the removal to take affect". Eventually I did stop receiving those mailings.
I did the same thing with Medicare mailings.

I donate to animal charity but not the big ones. I've donated to 2 places I follow online on YouTube. I get no spam mail from them. Not even e mail. I also have donated to a big bird rescue in Northern California and have supported the Big Bear bald eagle cam with merchandise purchase. I get no spam from them either.

Really have to be selective if one can donate. I've written about the crap my stepfather had got and I wrote, called and mailed almost 300 organizations. Some of these freaks sending 2 solicitations a week. I don't know if he's donating again. I don't trust him.

I get emails and regular mail from places I've donated to almost every day and now that the Holidays are here, it's even worse. I don't mind helping when I can but I have to take care of myself first. Wonder if I could send out letters so people would donate to my "cause".....haha.

I get a phone call every day from places in AZ (because I still have my number from AZ even though I live in PA), where we use to live.

I generally ignore and block those calls if they don't already go to spam, but today, I answered because I was curious who it was and what they wanted. It was a call to support the police department. He gave his spiel and when he got done, I asked him where he was calling from (I didn't recognize the area code). There was total silence and I asked him again where he was calling from. He just said, never mind...and hung up. I looked up the area code and it was Tucson, which was a long way from where we lived in northern AZ. I blocked that number. We'll see if someone else calls from there again.

I used to donate to my local humane society and some animal rescues. A few months ago, I had about $200 worth of top quality dog food I wanted to donate. I contacted three places and asked them to pick it up, but they refused. They said I had to drop it off. Well, apparently they don’t need my money, either! Really teed me off.
When our dog died I had to deliver all of the doggie items we donated.

It was a call to support the police department. He gave his spiel and when he got done, I asked him where he was calling from (I didn't recognize the area code). There was total silence and I asked him again where he was calling from. He just said, never mind...and hung up. I looked up the area code and it was Tucson, which was a long way from where we lived in northern AZ. I blocked that number. We'll see if someone else calls from there again.
That sounds really sketchy. I've got that police department on also. Twice. I answer "hello" and this idiot says back "hello" I'm like "yeah you called me." This happened twice. You would think once you just hang up they remove your number and never if it's robo calling, it's unlikely they get your number again. Not adding up. Sounds like crooks.

When an uncle passed, I thought donating to a charity that was named in his obit was a better idea than buying transient cut flowers. After than for about 6 months, I kept getting snail mail requests for more donations. I guess they gave up after that.
What my stepfather was doing was mostly small, 10 dollar donations. I read this is the worst thing you can do. They know they have a donator but not a big one. So to make more money, they sell, sell, sell the name. And the donations piled. Once there were 72 solicitations for 2 days in the box.

Just put Not here...return to sender on the mailing and pop it back in the box

My donations are always anonymous
Gary, I did that with a bunch of my stepfather's and the post office got me on it because it's all second class crap. The ones that had their own postage prepaid envelopes got those back with a stop request. Some I even put stamps on because there was no other way to contact these creeps. Phone never answered on 'box full.' It was insane.

About the Only positive to these mailings is that they have to pay the USPS a few cents to deliver their Nonsense....every mailing helps keep our postage rates down. Before you donate to ANY charity, visit Charity Watch.org, and see how much of your donation actually goes to the services the mailing claims to support. In far too many of these "charities", half, or more, of their donations go to "Administrative" costs....much of which is 6 figure salaries for their executives.

Let them send their trash, and toss it.

Back