Just Got A Shocker From My Doctor Today!

fmdog44

I was told today I must bring my living will and power of attorney documents in for my next check up visit. I asked why and she said, "blame Obama." I said "since when?" She replied, "Since he got it passed?" I told her I have never had the required since he got elected eleven years ago. She said they are tightening the belt. She added mammograms are now mandatory for women annually if they want medical care. Has anyone had any similar notices with their personal physicians?

I haven't seen a regular doctor since January 2012 so have no answer. BUT, that sounds ridiculous. And, Obama has been gone THREE years, they can't blame him for this. I haven't had a mammogram since mid 1990's, if that's true I'm screwed and I still refuse to have it done. Hope other posters give you more informative replies.

I saw my doctor in August and he tried to get me to have a mammogram, which I haven't had in years, and I told him a flat out NO! He did not tell me that they were mandatory or anything else your doctor told you and he didn't in all of the other years I didn't have one. If he was my doctor, this would make me suspicious of him.

Well that’s strange, I haven’t had a mammogram in 4 years or any other “ recommend test “ when I talked to my doctor she said after 75 none of those tests were recommended. I don’t have to show anyone my living will or who has my power of attorney, it’s not their business or anyone else’s the only thing they need from me is the Do not Resuscitate form.

It’s a shocker to me because I didn’t realize you were female but I understand your concern.
Ive only had one mammogram and won’t have any more but don’t wish to explain why and our mammograms are covered by our government.
I always feared that the extreme squishing required to do the mammogram would actually create a lump that might eventually morph into cancer. It's probably illogical reasoning (after all, I barely passed chemistry) but I'm the ''Going by my guts'' type and refused to have more than the two I agreed to have done.

I just spoke with a Medicare rep on the phone. First, she said first the advanced care planning deals with annual wellness exams required but the documentation is voluntary. She also stated she see nothing pertaining to mandatory mammograms. Bottom lime is apparently my doctor is not reading the fine print.
That’s great. It’s NOT mandatory. 👍
Good stuff.

I just spoke with a Medicare rep on the phone. First, she said first the advanced care planning deals with annual wellness exams required but the documentation is voluntary. She also stated she see nothing pertaining to mandatory mammograms. Bottom lime is apparently my doctor is not reading the fine print.
I’m glad you called Medicare, I’m curious to know why your doctor thinks he has the right to know who has your power of attorney or your living will. When I lived in Florida I gave the hospital that I used a copy of my Do not Resuscitate form but that’s all.

I’m glad you called Medicare, I’m curious to know why your doctor things he has the right to know who has your power of attorney or your living will. When I lived in Florida I gave the hospital that I used a copy of my Do not Resuscitate form but that’s all.
Where did you get that Do not Resuscitate form ? Thanks. I need to get my life in order but I'm a "master procrastinator".

I was told today I must bring my living will and power of attorney documents in for my next check up visit. I asked why and she said, "blame Obama." I said "since when?" She replied, "Since he got it passed?" I told her I have never had the required since he got elected eleven years ago. She said they are tightening the belt. She added mammograms are now mandatory for women annually if they want medical care. Has anyone had any similar notices with their personal physicians?
You're female??? :oops: I thought you were a guy!!

Glad you got that straighten out!!

Your doc out & out lied. I had doctors out & out lie & I call them on it. Not to their face, but to gov't agencies responsible for them. Was able to have Medicare refunded $20K once from a lying doc.
Good for you!

I had an ENT doctor. I've had chronic mastoiditis since I was 5 and need to have my ears cleaned at least every 4 months. He would use a ''scraper'' and a suction type instrument to remove the wax and clear the ear canals. He would bill it as ''surgery'' and charge Medicare $4000 per visit, on top of the ''office visit'' charge. It bothered me but I was afraid to confront him. So I wrote to Medicare and told them about it. I never got a reply from Medicare but I noticed he no longer said it was surgery and his fee was much lower. Of course, Medicare never paid him the $4000, so I don't know why he did it.

If it sounds outrageous, it probably is. But getting the official words can put your mind at ease. Just because a doctor's office says it is so does not mean it is.

Many of these unbelievable lies can be uncovered by searching the internet, including US government sites, for the correct answer .

Your "doctor" is not only not reading the fine print, he's interested in increasing profits. Each mammogram or other test = another bill to your provider. There is NO such thing as mandatory anything involving medical tests or procedures on the planet earth. It's your body; not his. He can suggest something but he can't decide what's mandatory.

Several years ago, I had an infected tooth that needed a root canal. Since I've had 29 root canals, I know what's involved.
This particular one was causing severe pain. I saw my dentist & said I wanted it treated immediately. He said he wanted to put me on antibiotics for several days first. I said, I don't intend to be in severe pain for several days; I wanted it treated now & I'll be happy to start taking antibiotics during treatment. He refused to do it that way, so I started to leave & said, "Fine. Thanks for your time; I'll see another dentist."

When he realized he was going to lose $950.00 plus another $1,350.00 for the crown, he said, "Wait a minute; I can start the root canal now."
He did the root canal in 2 visits, he did the crown & no antibiotics needed.

Oh no, your doctor IS reading the fine print. S/he will be able to bill Medicare for the mammogram, whether you needed one or not.

Back