Katharine, the Wright Sister of Wilbur and Orville

A few years ago I read David McCullough's biography, "The Wright Brothers" and there was plenty about their wonderful sister. The whole family was so impressive, hard working, selfless and of course brilliant.

I thought of them a lot during our year of Covid when students had to stay home. When Orville was a senior in high school, all set to go on to college, a boy hit him in the face with a hockey stick and knocked out most of his teeth. He never went back to school.

Dentistry wasn't that good back then and Orville spent the following year at home with pain and infection. His mother was dying at that time and he sat with her for much of that year. It was at that time that he became fascinated with flight, watched the birds out the window and read everything that had been written about the subject. I expect that without that year at home to just think, if he had been busy with college and career, we still would all be grounded.

This was a really well put together chronicle on Katherine Wright's contribution to not only flying, but also to women' suffrage. The whole Wright Brothers story, including Katherine makes an interesting read, but ended kind of on a sad note.

A while ago, I posted about Charlie Taylor, in a separate thread, and cannot find it right now. It was celebrating "National Aircraft Aviation Maintenance Technician's Day.

Charlie Taylor was really the "nuts & bolts" guy who made the Wright Brother's plane fly. He made the engine by hand, in six weeks, because they couldn't find someone who could make it. He was the unsung hero of their story, who finally...late in life, found recognition and received the accolades that he deserved.

charlie-taylor-public-domain.jpg
iu

Charles E. Taylor (1868-1956): The First Aviation Mechanic​

Charlie Taylor: The Man Who Made The Wright Brothers Fly

"Taylor had an innate mechanical ability and was a respected toolmaker. He was working in his own shop when one day Orville and Wilbur Wright came in and asked him to make them some parts. Pleased with Taylor’s work, the Wrights continued to bring him special projects—the beginning of a decades-long relationship that would shape the course of aviation history."

Charles Taylor's contributions:

1903 Wright Engine​

Wright brothers’ specifications: Needed 9 horsepower and a maximum weight of 180 pounds

Build time: Only 6 weeks!

How: Used hammer, chisel and other hand tools, as well as basic tools, including a drill press and lathe

Power: 12 horsepower

Weight (engine block and crankcase): 152 pounds

Engine block and crankcase: Lightweight, cast aluminum-copper alloy

Cylinder material: Cast iron

Number of cylinders: Four

Cylinder size: Four-inch bore and four-inch stroke

Total displacement: 201 cubic inches

Cooling: Water-cooled

Quirk: No carburetor; instead, gasoline flowed into a shallow pan and engine heat vaporized it

Other Contributions​

Wright Flyer parts: Handcrafted all the metal fittings and support wires

Wind tunnel: Machined parts from workshop scraps for the Wright brothers’ wind tunnel, enabling their experimentation and data collection

Last edited:

Back