Keep it between the Lines

Debated whether this belonged here, or in the thread, "When you Have too much Time on your Hands." :giggle:

cfj0zZ3.jpg

Very interesting, Nancy! This reminded me of how Thomas Jefferson cut verses from six copies of the New Testament to create his own personal version, known as the Jefferson Bible.

ATM-Jefferson-Bible-631.jpg

"At age 77, Thomas Jefferson, after two terms as president, turned to a project that had occupied his mind for at least two decades—the creation of a book of moral lessons drawn from the Gospels of Matthew, Luke, Mark and John. With painstaking precision, Jefferson cut verses from editions of the New Testament in English, French, Greek and Latin. He pasted these onto loose blank pages, which were then bound to make a book. He titled his volume The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth; it has become known as the Jefferson Bible. Because Jefferson found this project intensely personal and private, he acknowledged the book’s existence only to a few friends, saying that he read it before retiring at night".

"... He titled his volume The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth; it has become known as the Jefferson Bible. Because Jefferson found this project intensely personal and private, he acknowledged the book’s existence only to a few friends, saying that he read it before retiring at night".
In your link it says...

Jefferson’s views on religion were complex, and he was reluctant to express them publicly. “I not only write nothing on religion,” Jefferson once told a friend, “but rarely permit myself to speak on it.”

That got my attention. Makes me curious.

In your link it says...

Jefferson’s views on religion were complex, and he was reluctant to express them publicly. “I not only write nothing on religion,” Jefferson once told a friend, “but rarely permit myself to speak on it.”

That got my attention. Makes me curious.
He was a complex and wise man.

Tree Rings

"By analyzing centuries-old growth rings from trees in the ... West, researchers in the civil and environmental engineering department are extracting data about monthly streamflow trends from periods long before the early 1900s when recorded observations began." (Utah State U.)
tree-rings-diagram.jpg
Prominent rings on petrified tree in New Mexico

bisti-n4.jpg

More about tree rings, Univ of Ariz

Very interesting, Nancy. Dendrochronology is the study of tree rings. To go one Fantastic step further, here is a guy who "plays" slices of trees on a turntable and releases the "Music" of the wood.

"HOW IT WORKS: Instead of a needle, an optical sensor reads the wood's color and texture. Then, algorithms convert those variations into notes on a scale, which is mapped to a piano synthesizer and played.
The rings of a trunk reveal the age of the tree, and environmental conditions like rainfall levels, disease, and even forest fires. Light-colored rings indicate growth spurts, while darker marks show times of a slowdown.
Each slice is unique -- a glimpse into the story of a tree's past.
Bartholomäus Traubeck wondered what story those trees would tell. So he created equipment that could translate those rings into music on a record player. The result is a breathtaking masterpiece.

"Rather than use a needle like a record, sensors gather information about the wood’s color and texture and use an algorithm that translates variations into piano notes. The breadth of variation between individual trees results in a individualized tune.

"Instead of a record player needle, a modified camera is analyzing the tree rings for their thickness, the space between rings and other factors.
It sends that data over to Ableton Live audio production software, where it's turned into the piano notes we hear.

"Traubeck's algorithm gives certain types of trees different mixtures of scales, based on tree color and the overall texture of the wood. For instance, a fir tree grows quickly, therefore has larger gaps between the rings, which means the resulting music is more minimalistic (Traubeck chose the key of C minor for firs).
Throw a slice of ash tree (with rings very close together) on the player and the music is more compressed and complex.

"Traubeck told the public radio program Living On Earth that he was inspired by a 1977 album by rock band Jethro Tull, titled “Songs From The Wood.” On the back jacket, a record player tonearm is pictured on top of a tree stump".

tree-ring.jpg

Back