KFC Recipe or Internet Hoax?

RadishRose

SF VIP
2-73-dried-mustard-papaika-92-6arlic-salt-fo-ts-broewd-ginger-103-t-white-pepper-chicago-tribune

The recipe is on Wikipedia also with some added ingredients, like MSG, and the chicken soaked in buttermilk.

In August 2016, the Chicago Tribune reported that Joe Ledington of Kentucky, a nephew by marriage of Colonel Sanders, had claimed to have found a copy of the original KFC fried chicken recipe on a handwritten piece of paper in an envelope in a scrapbook.[22] Tribune staffers conducted a cooking test of this recipe, which took several attempts to get right.[22] They had to determine whether the "Ts" meant tablespoons or teaspoons, and soon concluded the correct interpretation was tablespoons.[22] After some trial and error, they decided the chicken should be soaked in buttermilk and coated once in the breading mixture, then fried in oil at 350 °F (177 °C) in a pressure fryer until golden brown. As a pressure fryer was too big, a deep fryer was used alternatively to substitute the pressure fryer. They also claimed that with the addition of MSG as a flavor enhancer, they could produce fried chicken which tasted "indistinguishable" from fried chicken they had purchased at KFC.[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_Original_Recipe

The recipe is on Wikipedia also with some added ingredients, like MSG, and the chicken soaked in buttermilk.

In August 2016, the Chicago Tribune reported that Joe Ledington of Kentucky, a nephew by marriage of Colonel Sanders, had claimed to have found a copy of the original KFC fried chicken recipe on a handwritten piece of paper in an envelope in a scrapbook.[22] Tribune staffers conducted a cooking test of this recipe, which took several attempts to get right.[22] They had to determine whether the "Ts" meant tablespoons or teaspoons, and soon concluded the correct interpretation was tablespoons.[22] After some trial and error, they decided the chicken should be soaked in buttermilk and coated once in the breading mixture, then fried in oil at 350 °F (177 °C) in a pressure fryer until golden brown. As a pressure fryer was too big, a deep fryer was used alternatively to substitute the pressure fryer. They also claimed that with the addition of MSG as a flavor enhancer, they could produce fried chicken which tasted "indistinguishable" from fried chicken they had purchased at KFC.[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_Original_Recipe
Thanks @Bonnie not keen on the MSG but thanks for info re TS.

Bonnie thanks. No sage huh? That's a big component of "poultry seasoning" so I was sure it belonged.
The buttermilk soak is common in the south so maybe the writer just assumed it would be done.

I'm afraid of deep frying. :unsure:

Cumin is a nice spice for chicken, but (I don't know) is probably not a Southern taste.

I don't deep fry anymore, I hate the splatter mess, plus the load of trans fat you end up with.

Edit: just saying- I'm not impressed with KFC these days, seems pretty pricey for the meals. Even the bucket portions are noticeably more $$ than the offering in the deli at the local supermarket. That, and plus you don't have to wait 20 minutes in the drive thru.

Cumin is a nice spice for chicken, but (I don't know) is probably not a Southern taste.

I don't deep fry anymore, I hate the splatter mess, plus the load of trans fat you end up with.

Edit: just saying- I'm not impressed with KFC these days, seems pretty pricey for the meals. Even the bucket portions are noticeably more $$ than the offering in the deli at the local supermarket. That, and plus you don't have to wait 20 minutes in the drive thru.
@Nathan I agree w/ cumin. I love it. Not only in Mexican food but also Middle Eastern dishes. Not sure about KFC tho'.

You're so right about the higher prices at KFC. C'mon it's just chicken. Yardbird, LOL

Back