Kitchen Countertop Suggestions

It's a lot of money if you rent an apartment and that does not include installation. The landlords don't like them except on the main floor. Subject to leakage.
Yes it’s a lot of money but it’s a portable so requires no installation. I don’t suppose the landlords do like them much. They could be a liability.

Our plumbing was done today and the cement board is down.

The kitchen vent was moved and tomorrow we are adding two new electrical outlets..

I’m more of the helper at this point.

The walls certainly will need fixing and painting.
This is a lot of work.

Last edited:
Our plumbing was done today and the cement board is down.

The kitchen vent was moved and tomorrow we are adding to new electrical outlets..

I’m more of the helper at this point.

The walls certainly will next fixing and painting.
This is a lot of work.
Yes, don't think many people realize how much work it is to remodel or build. When we built this big house, it took 3 years. We had a couple of hired workers, but hub and mom and I did most of it - the workers did fiberglass plastering, outside and inside high ceiling painting and so forth. Roof and slab was hired out. Sometimes I look back and don't know how we did it...7 days a week, work all day, hub would come home and work till 10 or 11 at night. But you know, we actually enjoyed ourselves. My mom was a hoot! Livin' the dream I guess.

Yes, don't think many people realize how much work it is to remodel or build. When we built this big house, it took 3 years. We had a couple of hired workers, but hub and mom and I did most of it - the workers did fiberglass plastering, outside and inside high ceiling painting and so forth. Roof and slab was hired out. Sometimes I look back and don't know how we did it...7 days a week, work all day, hub would come home and work till 10 or 11 at night. But you know, we actually enjoyed ourselves. My mom was a hoot! Livin' the dream I guess.
We didn’t build our house but had it built for us and watched the entire process. Five years ago we had to rebuilt about 1/2 our back wall due to my husband attaching a deck without flashing and because the vapour barrier was put on backwards which rotted most of the wall. We had to brace up the top floor with jack posts while we worked. We replaced the wall, joists, partial subfloor, patio door, back door all windows. It was a huge job.

My husband also helped my father turn their cottage their permanent house. He stayed up there all summer in 1993 helping them.

The fact that my mans such a handy man I find very attractive . Besides which I dislike relying on contractors and would rather trust ourselves. It’s a real learning experience even being a seasoned woodworker. There’s so much to learn but it’s interesting stuff.

This thread is a great example of why Baskin & Robbins offers 31 flavors of ice cream. To each his own.
This thread is great. I really had my mind & heart set on granite since I’m a baker / cookie maker and that granite would be so perfect to roll on. The fact that it’s cold is a plus to me.

What really surprised me was the look of some other types of materials like Corian. An under the counter sink is possible and looks fabulous but best of all , the money that I save on the countertop I can put towards a propane range with fancy exhaust hood. Of course my man is already whining about needing to cut another hole through our roof. 🙄

😚😂

This thread is great. I really had my mind & heart set on granite since I’m a baker / cookie maker and that granite would be so perfect to roll on. The fact that it’s cold is a plus to me.

What really surprised me was the look of some other types of materials like Corian. An under the counter sink is possible and looks fabulous but best of all , the money that I save on the countertop I can put towards a propane range with fancy exhaust hood. Of course my man is already whining about needing to cut another hole through our roof. 🙄

😚😂
I have an exhaust hood over my electric range and never use it. It came with the house. At another house I used the exhaust while the elements were on and it started a fire.

I have an exhaust hood over my electric range and never use it. It came with the house. At another house I used the exhaust while the elements were on and it started a fire.
😮Then it wasn’t working right.
The reason why I’m getting new kitchen cupboards is because my husband set the kitchen on fire. How do I say this kindly? When he cooks things there’s a lot of smoke. We NEED a vent.

With having chronic sinus problems, fresh air is a must.

😚😂
I roll out dough on our Corian countertop all the time. By the way, the patent has expired on Corian so it should be less expensive these days. Why does hub want to "cut another hole" through your roof?

I roll out dough on our Corian countertop all the time. By the way, the patent has expired on Corian so it should be less expensive these days. Why does hub want to "cut another hole" through your roof?
Oh! This is good to know. I just found a place that specializes in natural rock at discount prices so I’m still undecided.

Right now our vent is the bottom of a microwave which is above our stove. It’s vented through the top cupboard which goes into our bathroom wall then out to the outside wall.

If we get one of those big vents like these then it would be more practical to make the outlet go straight up through the roof instead of needed to take down our bathroom wall tiles to do it.

My man doesn’t want to redo all the bathroom tiles again, 🥺....... but they are old. 🤭😂😬😅AB43784B-6EA1-43AE-A644-F4ECF667F1D0.jpeg5487B32E-CA50-4C8D-9528-D11E07884A09.jpeg

Oh, I see why.
Oh! This is good to know. I just found a place that specializes in natural rock at discount prices so I’m still undecided.

Right now our vent is the bottom of a microwave which is above our stove. It’s vented through the top cupboard which goes into our bathroom wall then out to the outside wall.

If we get one of those big vents like these then it would be more practical to make the outlet go straight up through the roof instead of needed to take down our bathroom wall tiles to do it.

My man doesn’t want to redo all the bathroom tiles again, 🥺....... but they are old. 🤭😂😬😅View attachment 86085View attachment 86086
Keep us posted, gal. The continuing kitchen remodel saga, huh!

I can say one most banal thing: repair can turn into the most difficult test for the family when you are deprived of the most necessary basic things for the everyday comfortable life of all people in the family. This would be with us if we did not use the Groysman Remodeling Company kitchen and bathroom remodeling services in San Diego and California. These guys are real gold. Firstly, we immediately learned about the variety of kitchen worktops that they had, which turned out to be very important for my wife - she loves cooking for our entire family and spends a lot of time in the kitchen with very experiments in the style of Gordon. Ramsey. We discussed the price, which, by the way, as promised in the future, is devoid of additional margins. Design and dimensions of kitchen cabinets, redevelopment of floors, lighting schemes, fittings for sinks and faucets, materials for walls. We naturally wanted our children and grandchildren to also spend time with us and bring guests. So it was necessary to make everything a new, stylish and comfortable place for all members of our large family. Ours remodel company, coped with this task easily, having discussed with us all the details of our life in the house during the repair, and did not break his promise. In general, the repair is not so scary.

I can say one most banal thing: repair can turn into the most difficult test for the family when you are deprived of the most necessary basic things for the everyday comfortable life of all people in the family. This would be with us if we did not use the Groysman Remodeling Company kitchen and bathroom remodeling services in San Diego and California. These guys are real gold. Firstly, we immediately learned about the variety of kitchen worktops that they had, which turned out to be very important for my wife - she loves cooking for our entire family and spends a lot of time in the kitchen with very experiments in the style of Gordon. Ramsey. We discussed the price, which, by the way, as promised in the future, is devoid of additional margins. Design and dimensions of kitchen cabinets, redevelopment of floors, lighting schemes, fittings for sinks and faucets, materials for walls. We naturally wanted our children and grandchildren to also spend time with us and bring guests. So it was necessary to make everything a new, stylish and comfortable place for all members of our large family. Ours remodel company, coped with this task easily, having discussed with us all the details of our life in the house during the repair, and did not break his promise. In general, the repair is not so scary.
Glad it worked out for you. In your story, you failed to mention what kind of countertops you chose.

>>I have an exhaust hood over my electric range and never use it. It came with the house. At another house I used the exhaust while the elements were on and it started a fire. >>

I think it's likely caused by not cleaning the grease screens in the exhaust. No matter what kind of exhaust fan it is, those screens MUST be periodically cleaned of old grease. That's why better quality, newer fans have screens (or the "squirrel cage" equivalents) that can be put into the DW for thorough cleaning.

We're going to re-do the kitchen counters sometime this year, too, and the war is raging at our house. He wants formica, I want quartz. He wants completely new cabinets, I just want to paint them. We both want new appliances......but what finish? We also can't agree on the floor; I like the tile that's in there now; he doesn't. I can somehow see us hobbling around the kitchen 20 years from now and still arguing about it, but we won't be able to hear each other or see what we're arguing about.

We have Corian counters in the RV and they have held up very well for ten years.

Whatever you decide on make sure you take a close up picture of your choice and then compare it to the material they bring for installation and check the pic against the material. There are a lot of look a likes so be sure you get what you chose.

I have had granite in my kitchen for nearly 15 years. It receives no special treatment whatsoever and still looks like the day it was installed. There is nothing to compare with cold stone for rolling out pastry, if that's a consideration. Just pick what you love and enjoy it.

We're going to re-do the kitchen counters sometime this year, too, and the war is raging at our house. He wants formica, I want quartz. He wants completely new cabinets, I just want to paint them. We both want new appliances......but what finish? We also can't agree on the floor; I like the tile that's in there now; he doesn't. I can somehow see us hobbling around the kitchen 20 years from now and still arguing about it, but we won't be able to hear each other or see what we're arguing about.

We have Corian counters in the RV and they have held up very well for ten years.
Love Corian...its a solid surface and therefore impervious to bacterial issues. I've had it for years and have made thousands of pies and cookies on the big center island that's Corian. I'd put it in again in a minute. No granite for me. We were in the food biz and know the ropes...lol.

I have had granite in my kitchen for nearly 15 years. It receives no special treatment whatsoever and still looks like the day it was installed. There is nothing to compare with cold stone for rolling out pastry, if that's a consideration. Just pick what you love and enjoy it.
Totally agree. I love my granite counters.

Back