Kitchens in the 50s & 60s

I ran into a post by mike that got me thinking. He posted about his grandmother's apron. How many do you know today, who wear an apron to cook dinner? Kitchens have changed since "my day". Kitchens were separate rooms, not part of the "open" plan. Kitchens were where you found mom, where it was warm, where it smelled good, where there were goodies to eat. There was no flat screen TV playing. Mike's grandma's apron belonged in that kitchen.
Is this the Greatest Invention Ever? | Senior Forums

Last edited:
My kitchen is definitely separate... in this house... In my Spanish home, it;s separate in that it has it's own door, but also has a Big open window/hatch looking into the livingroom... Ironically in Spain they're called American Kitchens when they're integrated into the livingroom

Last edited:
I haven't worn an apron for a very long time. Of course, I don't cook much, but when I do I don't worry about it, can always change my t-shirt if I get flour on it. When I was cleaning out my house to sell earlier this year, my mom had an apron hanging in her closet.

In the 1950's, I don't recall ever spending time in any kitchen.. was too busy living life.

In the 1960's, got married, and lived in a house/apartment during college years..
An ugly eyesore scenario ... something like this picture below, and with a washing machine in the kitchen!
(but those were fun times)

iu

I have never owned an apron.

I just repainted my kitchen cabinets from "An old, old lady lives here" to "OK, She loves clean and contemporary but still likes her old 1930's stuff!". It's true! I'm crazy about 1930's kitchens! Anyway, Here's before and after.

View attachment 241659
They're both beautiful. Which one is before and which one is after?
I am partial to white cabinetry, but I have never seen anything like those wood-tone doors!

They're both beautiful. Which one is before and which one is after?
I am partial to white cabinetry, but I have never seen anything like those wood-tone doors!
Well, a few years ago, I painted the cabinet doors with red&white check with cherries as borders on the cabinet doors,
but it looks so "old woman"! So this weekend I took off all the doors, sanded everything and added 2 or 3 coats of paint.
It's a cleaner look, and I still have my old vintage tins, signs, aprons, antique towels, breadbox.
I REALLY want white Corian counter tops!
It's a tiny kitchen so this doesn't look as cluttered.

Last edited:
In the 1950's, I don't recall ever spending time in any kitchen.. was too busy living life.

In the 1960's, got married, and lived in a house/apartment during college years..
An ugly eyesore scenario ... something like this picture below, and with a washing machine in the kitchen!
(but those were fun times)

iu

I have never owned an apron.
I think this is a replica of a British kitchen, not just by the washer in the kitchen, but more by the Fairy Snow soap box on it. I think that's a major brand over there.

Well, a few years ago, I painted the cabinet doors with B&W check with cherries as borders on the cabinet doors,
but it looks so "old woman"! So this weekend I took off all the doors, sanded everything and added 2 or 3 coats of paint.
It's a cleaner look, and I still have my old vintage tins, aprons, antique towels, breadbox.
It's a tiny kitchen so this doesn't look as cluttered.
The checks and cherries were famous in the art designs of Mary Englebreit. I had 3 small canisters decorated like that.
iu

The checks and cherries were famous in the art designs of Mary Englebreit. I had 3 small canisters decorated like that.
iu
Yes! I might have (subliminaly) seen that somewhere! I love that look!
I did red and white checks with white polka dots over a soft yellow, and cherry sprigs.
I must have copied that design without even being aware of it! Wow!
But, It'sl ike a border at the ceiling. It closes the area in tight, but I wanted to open it up.

Last edited:

Back