Lawn got away form me...

because of my medical problems lately. I emailed my lawn man and he said he'd come Friday or Saturday afternoon, but now it's Sunday afternoon and he hasn't shown up - to my knowledge. He complained the last time he was here it was too long and he had to go over it twice. It's even longer now.

View attachment 236641
Have you thought of having it removed, and replaced with astroturf? You'd never need to mow again.

I use my weed eater often but, dummy me! I gave away my riding lawn mower after my husband died. (I wasn't thinking straight!)
because I have a large property.

So, around here, You can hire someone and they say "I'll be there Tuesday at 2:00 o clock!
Unfortunately, they don't mention that they meant Tuesday, 2 or 3 months later! hahaha!

@JustDave, Your property is beautiful!

I can't even imagine what it's like to have one's own lawn! Or a big house with a porch for that matter! For me, all I would need is the balcony I don't have.
It's hard to compare NYC to anywhere else, and for city folks, it's worth it. My sister and brother-in-law love Chicago. They wouldn't leave it for anything. I'm not a city person. I grew up in Chicago. Left, and never looked back when I was 17.

Maybe it was difficult to tell in the photo, but in some places it was knee high. Were you looking at the before mowing or after mowing photo?
The before pic. It's kind of hard to tell how long it actually is...no frame of reference, like someone standing in it. I guess it looks good to me since, like Hollydolly, mine hasn't grown in such a long time my mower is getting cobwebs on it.

I notice many homes in my neighborhood have sprinkler systems. To me that's a huge waste of water. Grass always comes back from a drought when the rains come.
So agree. I even find the mobile homes in parks I have looked at had drip systems. No way. I looked at one and the drip system was running and for some reason I looked at the access to under the mobile and the drip system was dripping under the home. I asked the agent to talk to the listing agent about it and get back to me but she didn't.

I am still thinking over what happened with the lawn guy yesterday. I heard his mower stop and expected he would be at my front door to get his check a few minutes after he puts his equipment on the trailer. I waited and waited, then looked out and his truck and trailer were gone. I sent him an email and asked why he ran off without getting paid. He replied that he would be back in about 2 hours. He did come back and explained that he had received a call to look at another job. Now why he couldn't take a minute to get the check and had to rush off immediately mystifies me. He also charged more because he said he had to go over the lawn twice to cut it as short as I wanted it. Why he can't cut 4 inches off at once also puzzles me.

I notice many homes in my neighborhood have sprinkler systems. To me that's a huge waste of water. Grass always comes back from a drought when the rains come.
In your climate that is probably true. For me without sprinklers my grass wouldn't come back until the next ice age, and right now that doesn't seem to be happening.

Back