Leasing a car!

Citygirl

SF VIP
If anyone happens to know information on leasing a car, I sure would appreciate any info you can relay. This will be a totally new experience so we know nothing.Thank You!

I've been leasing since 1996. It's a very cheap way to drive a new car every 3 years, with a very small down payment & small monthly payments & never have any major repairs. Sometimes I've terminated the lease early at no cost & dealers always want a near-new car on their lot.
You may hear some people say, "But you never own the car." Neither does any buyer until he pays the car off & has the title. That usually takes 3-5 years & lots of interest.

I'm currently driving a 2019 Nissan Altima SL that I got in 2018. The sticker price is $31,000. I put $2,000 down, Nissan added $1,000 for an incentive & my payment is $350.00/month. After 3 years, I turn in the car & get a new one - same deal. And it doesn't have to be a Nissan; any dealer will take the car in trade.

My current car is a lease, as it is what my husband wanted to do. Our last few cars were leases.
This current lease comes to term next June. While I plan to stay with the dealer, as I like them and their service dept. When I turn in this car, my next will be a purchase. I am tired of leasing. And I know I will get good service from the dealer. I like the fact that they do not treat me as a female customer who knows nothing.

Leasing probably has some positive aspects....especially for someone who drives quite a bit. However, I doubt that there is Any money savings by leasing, vs. purchasing...probably costs more, over time, to lease. At the rate most cars depreciate in value, about the only way a person gets good value out of a car is to pay cash at the time of purchase, then keep it until it begins to fall apart.

Leasing probably has some positive aspects....especially for someone who drives quite a bit. However, I doubt that there is Any money savings by leasing, vs. purchasing...probably costs more, over time, to lease. At the rate most cars depreciate in value, about the only way a person gets good value out of a car is to pay cash at the time of purchase, then keep it until it begins to fall apart.
I agree with you post, Don, although I might change the last part to "when the mileage reaches a point where reliability problems may be expected. Today, compared to a few years ago, the mileage I add each year is minimal.

I agree with you post, Don, although I might change the last part to "when the mileage reaches a point where reliability problems may be expected. Today, compared to a few years ago, the mileage I add each year is minimal.

I agree....if a person drives a lot, and has to rely on the car, mileage/reliability can be a major concern. When I was working, I drove an average of perhaps 25K miles/yr., and bought a new car every 3 or 4 years. Now, in retirement, we probably don't put 7K/yr, on the vehicles. My trusty old 1997 Dakota just turned 100k, and the 2006 Impala just passed 70k. Both are still in excellent shape, and I maintain them properly....at this point, unless I win PowerBall, I really have no interest in new cars.

I've been leasing since 1996. It's a very cheap way to drive a new car every 3 years, with a very small down payment & small monthly payments...You may hear some people say, "But you never own the car." Neither does any buyer until he pays the car off & has the title. That usually takes 3-5 years & lots of interest.

The cheapest way to "own the car" is to pay cash. Then you avoid all interest charges and actually own it. If you don't have enough money, put off buying one until you save enough.

Thank you everybody that took the time to answer.We are both retired and no one would be using it but us and it is nice to have your own transportation when you need it. Still haven't made a decision but thanks again for the info.

The cheapest way to "own the car" is to pay cash. Then you avoid all interest charges and actually own it. If you don't have enough money, put off buying one until you save enough.
LOL - "Put off buying a car until you can pay cash." That's fine for someone who has nowhere to go.

I buy an inexpensive vehicle and drive it until it becomes more trouble than it's worth, the last one was 13 years old when I traded it in.

You really need to run the numbers to decide if paying cash is cheaper than financing or leasing a vehicle. If your money is invested at a good rate of return it may be better to use other people's money rather than use your own.

My sister always goes for a low mileage lease because she can't handle any big-ticket repairs or maintenance expenses on her limited fixed income and prefers to have a set monthly payment with no surprises.

IMO leasing is worth considering. I believe that for me it would be a little more expensive but more convenient than owning a car it just depends on your personal situation and how much you enjoy that new car smell.

As I get older I believe that the best option for me and my location might be to go without a vehicle and use the various car services for my transportation needs. It would probably be the cheapest option but it would require a huge mental adjustment for me.

Good luck!

That's almost exactly what I do. I Pay Cash for my car then drive it until it's just good enough to part exchange for a new car, I get £1,000 or more off the new price!! No monthly payments.. No Interest, no panicking if you miss a monthly payment for whatever reason, and the first 3 years on all new cars in the UK is maintenace free ( No MOT) ... and I'm thinking of getting a Kia next due to their 7 year warranty!!!

I buy an inexpensive vehicle and drive it until it becomes more trouble than it's worth, the last one was 13 years old when I traded it in.

You really need to run the numbers to decide if paying cash is cheaper than financing or leasing a vehicle. If your money is invested at a good rate of return it may be better to use other people's money rather than use your own.

My sister always goes for a low mileage lease because she can't handle any big-ticket repairs or maintenance expenses on her limited fixed income and prefers to have a set monthly payment with no surprises.

IMO leasing is worth considering. I believe that for me it would be a little more expensive but more convenient than owning a car it just depends on your personal situation and how much you enjoy that new car smell.

As I get older I believe that the best option for me and my location might be to go without a vehicle and use the various car services for my transportation needs. It would probably be the cheapest option but it would require a huge mental adjustment for me.

Good luck!
HAHA, "Enjoying that new car smell." That's nice, but the more-important advantage is the upgraded safety features on new cars - lane assist, cameras, lane watch, collision-avoidance automatic braking, multiple air bags, etc. These become more important as we age.

It sure is a mental adjustment. And in addition,car services have become a lot more expensive and shockingly so (like everything else)

Therefore, one needs to consider the real cost of present day transport, wherever you live, and your specific options there.
The car service also must be reliable and on time , for any medical appointments! Or else there is added costs of late cancellations, not to mention the added stress.

I am not ruling out going that way, instead of having a vehicle, but adding that the details of that are not easy to consider either.

Last edited:
We just bought a new car. The old one was a 2007 Honda CRV. Gave it to my SIL. Paid cash for the new one. The only reason we got a new car was because I wanted the new safety features -- backup camera, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, Apple car play. We drive our cars forever. I personally think it's silly to get a new car every 3 years. That just guarantees car payments forever and ever. But it's your money.

My 2008 Corolla has 27000 actual miles on it and still going strong. I don't drive as much as I used to. Everything I need is under 4 miles from my house. So it will be my last car. Kids will use as a second or third car when needed. Or the guys at Firestone will buy from me if I decide to sell as they ask about buying it when ever I bring the car for service or the annual inspection sticker.

Worked at car dealerships for years. Most people want to buy the car after 3 years and find the price is more than they started with.
Well, I don't know where you worked, but in 2002, I leased a new Toyota Camry. When the lease was up, I decided to purchase the car for the depreciated value on the contract. My payment went down by $150.00 and the DMV gave me a check for the tax.

We just bought a new car. The old one was a 2007 Honda CRV. Gave it to my SIL. Paid cash for the new one. The only reason we got a new car was because I wanted the new safety features -- backup camera, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, Apple car play. We drive our cars forever. I personally think it's silly to get a new car every 3 years. That just guarantees car payments forever and ever. But it's your money.
Yes, but the payments are much smaller than with a purchase & the down payment is way smaller. No repairs.

Back