Leona Helmsley

oldman

We were taking a flight from New York down to Miami. The flight was scheduled to depart at 6:40 a.m. Due to low air in one of the nose tires, we were going to be delayed until I could have maintenance bring out the nitrogen and put the needed air in the tire. I had the First Officer (F/O) announce to the passengers the reason for the delay.

After the announcement was made, the Purser called the cockpit and the F/O took the call. After he hung up, he told me that one of the passengers was irate because of our lateness in leaving. I decided to go back and speak with the passenger. As I left the cockpit, the Purser told me that she was warning me that the passenger was Leona Helmsley, which was known as the “Queen of Mean.”

I spoke very nice with her, but she was very loud and insulting calling me a hack for a pilot. I warned her that if she didn’t stop immediately that I would have her put off the plane. Much to my surprise, she complied.

Sad how wealth changes some people.

I admire your patience with the woman's haughtiness.

Had I been in your shoes she wouldn't have got a warning. Her flight would have been over with right then and there.

A childhood friend worked for this woman for decades. Yes, quite a character I've been told.

Some people are given a face that tells everyone everything they need to know & serves as a warning to others:

Leona Helmsley Mugshot Stock Photo

Back