Let’s swing back to the 50s.

Downtown shoppers.

1954-11-23-jeffersonjpg-0b8662fc6d5c8329.jpg

The Kwik Chek in Clearwater Florida where we used to grocery shop had a set up similar to this one. Except that the "colored" fountain was set lower on the wall. I remember that because I was just a little kid at the time and I once got a drink from the colored one because it was lower and I could reach it better. But I got balled out by my mother for doing that. I also remember that the water from the "colored" fountain was warm. Not nice and cold like the water from the "white" one.

cdc4869b7eeae370e652ab9f8710c4e7.jpg

Yeah, not everything about the 50's was great. At least not for some.

C2_12.jpg

800px-Little_Rock_integration_protest.jpg

Laughing at plantation worker Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit doesn't erase the ugliness of racism....Yeah, safe bet that theater in the picture was segregated
Can't I just post Uncle Remus singing a happy song and the children in the theater enjoying it without me being accused of trying to erase racism???

I wasn't. I was trying to bring a little joy into a "Let's Swing Into the 50's" Thread.

I didn't choose Uncle Remus for his skin color...Google and I chose it because it's a good song and children's quality entertainment.

The photo of the children is on my fridge because my sister gave it to me for my birthday this past April. She said it reminded her of how we always laugh together. It's very meaningful to me and had no political agenda attached whatsoever. Then I googled "'Saturday matinee movies" to go show something the children were so happy to be watching and Uncle Remus showed up singing Zippitydoodah. I love his happy song and posted it.

That's why some people still only see black and white. Some people won't see it any other way. Let go of color. Yes, it was horrible in the past for the blacks but it was horrible for the Indians in the past too. It was horrible for the whites in the past.I'm not erasing history...I'm choosing to dwell on the positives and move forward. We elected a black President etc etc. That's moving forward.

Back