Let them eat crepes

Warrigal

SF VIP
The peasants have no bread? Let them eat crepes.

Haven't had a food delivery since before Christmas and have been living on all sort of leftovers but ran out of bread two days ago. Have had to get a bit creative until the next delivery that has just arrived a few minutes ago.

I had a bit of pan fried fresh salmon left over from a couple of days ago so today I made some white sauce with onion and added the flaked salmon. Then I made some thin crepes and filled them with the salmon mixture. On the side was a rudimentary salad of cherry tomatoes, cucumber and cos lettuce from the tiny veggie patch. Not bad for a scratch lunch, eh?

Wow!

So much nicer than warmed-over salmon from the microwave!

It's true that the more we know the better we do.

Once you master the basic techniques you begin to see the possibilities that allow you to create great meals, music, art with whatever you have wherever you are.

"You make do with what you have. As you age you learn even to be happy with what you have." - Haruki Murakami

It's true that the more we know the better we do.

So true but also true is that to be creative we need to have time at our disposal.

I entered marriage with very little experience in the culinary arts (actually none at all).
Needs must and I kept the family fed but it is now that I am retired and pretty much confined at home thanks to Covid that I think more about what I will prepare for Hubby and me.
I try not to waste food so I have definitely been more experimental.

Last edited:
You did good Warrigal !! Looks quite appetizing. My favorite crepes are Golden Cheese Blintzes. I used to have them with jelly but to cut down on the sugar, I now have them with agave on top. Delicious either way. Odd thing is that I can't stand cottage cheese in/on anything else.

external-content.duckduckgo-3.jpg

They look like a burrito they have a crepe batter shell and you fill it with something sweet or savory and brown on all sides and make a dip

I only have a slice of many grained bread with soup or a half of a peanut butter sandwich. Never was much of a bread eater. But...........when I was in France for 2 years, OMG, what delicious bread that was back in the 50s. Suddenly, along came the 60s and out went that dense and luscious bread.

The bread in France I could eat by the ton with just fresh butter, but here in the UK, the bread generally is horrible, unless toasted. :)

Back