Let Us Think Back to that Very Old Former President

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reagan was good at creating the illusions that some people wanted to believe in.
Yep, a good actor for sure.
I don't think Reagan really gets a fair shake from the song.
Looked it up and the song was not written about Reagan, it was only connected to Reagan by Baez and Jeffrey Shurtleff at Woodstock, a year or so after it's release by the Byrds.

This song is on the Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde album by the Byrds. The song is decent but the interesting part is the story behind the song. It was written in response to an on-air argument with Ralph Emery, at the time an all-night country DJ on a country radio station. It was written by Roger McGuinn and Gram Parsons.

The Byrds – Drug Store Truck Driving Man
https://powerpop.blog/2018/07/12/drug-store-truck-driving-man/

Perhaps. It was very early in his presidency and I don't think people realized, at that point, that dementia was on it's way. I found this tidbit in Wikipedia about his early years. Perhaps this is why he said it.
"Reagan recalled a time when two black football teammates were refused service at a segregated hotel; he invited them to his parents' home nearby in Dixon and his parents welcomed them. At the time, his parents' stance on racial questions were unusually progressive in Dixon.[24] Reagan himself had grown up with very few black Americans there and was unaware of a race problem.[25]"

Now I understand why he said that. But shouldn't the teammates being refused service have been his clue?! Being president of the UNITED STATES means he should not have had blinders on about what was happening racially in the rest of the country, outside of his little bubble.
@Timewise 60+ @SeaBreeze
Don't believe a word of what you write...

Don't believe a word of what you write...
Yes, and we all know of someone who is very loud, always lies and is dishonest, and always falsely accuses others of lying......sound familiar? Are you taking lessons, or just a follower?

@OneEyedDiva has no reason to lie, and you seem to be overly triggered and defensive of Ronnie.....very telling.

Last edited:
Yes, and we all know of someone who is very loud, always lies and is dishonest, and always falsely accuses others of lying......sound familiar? Are you taking lessons, or just a follower?

@OneEyedDiva has no reason to lie, and you seem to be overly triggered and defensive of Ronnie.....very telling.
i knew this thread would degenerate, how do you talk about a politician without talking politics?

I don't think you were stating that Reagan made those remarks, but I looked up the authors also:

In 2006, he said, “You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.” I believe it was JB. Remark
In 2007, he referred to Barack Obama as “the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean.” G,W. Bush Remark II
In 2010, a president of the United States warmly eulogized Sen. Robert Byrd, a former Exalted Cyclops in the Ku Klux Klan, saying he was “one of my mentors” and that “the Senate is a lesser place for his going.” JB said it. Remark III

I only did this because I was surprised to read the comments here and wanted to check who did say these things. I was raised by my parents who would have none of that type of talk in our house. I am not lying and saying they were squeaky clean on some of this racial stuff, but if a racist conversation was started in the house, my dad quickly snuffed it out. Being in the Marines for 4 years also prepared me for being around diverse people. I should have started with me saying that I was raised in Hershey, PA, which at that time was probably 80% or more white. My dad wouldn't even allow me tell jokes like, "A white guy, a black guy and a Mexican walk into a bar and so on." He knew my goal was to be a state cop and he would remind me of that often. "If you want to be a state cop, you don't want to use any racial language around anyone. I found out why he said that after I applied to the PSP. They do a check with neighbors, friends, references and even old school teachers and one of the questions they ask is, "Have you ever heard (my name) tell racial jokes or talk about minorities in a negative way?"

More 'hot air' from seabreezy
Seriously? i had to laugh that you 'liked' my reply to her post. Because she is not the one who flung the first insult.
You called Diva a liar. And i think you need to recheck who the most documented Modern POTUS has been. i think a more recent one has been shoved down our throats a good deal more.
i basically agree with her statement.

I don't want to get into a ding dong about US presidents...but...
if what Reagan said to Nixon is true, then, that is pretty offensive.
Check out the Atlantic article "What Reagan said to Nixon" online.
Does it talk about the audio tape that can be heard at the 50-51 second mark in this video? Which i like because the Network, PBS, actually looked at other things he said and policies he made, and had various people express their opinions on whether or not he was racist. While he's not high on my preferred list of Presidents, i've always respected his views on assault weapons in public hands, tho many of his 'fans' seem to forget or ignore it.

Seriously? i had to laugh that you 'liked' my reply to her post. Because she is not the one who flung the first insult.
You called Diva a liar. And i think you need to recheck who the most documented Modern POTUS has been. i think a more recent one has been shoved down our throats a good deal more.
i basically agree with her statement.
So fey...sorry I rattled your cage! I will avoid that going forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back