lets go for the prettiest flower competition...

Camper6. It is approx 30 miles from your in laws. I have travelled through Preston many times on the way to the coast. :)

Love the fragrance of the Sweet Olive bushes - they bloom in the dead of winter. My mother planted it by all the outside doorways. Have Star Jasmine and my favorite - a gigantic bush of Root Beer Jasmine blooming right now. The Root Beer Jasmine climbs up an old oak tree and trails blooming vines all the way down to the ground, perfuming the air all around. By the way...do know about your winters in Ohio. Son lives in Columbus and hub and I were raised in Mansfield.
Ah, yes, they are almost neighbors (not really, because I'm about 10 miles south of Lake Erie) - We get 'lake effect' stuff, depending on the weather and the water temperature. No idea about the Sweet Olive bushes, but would be happy to have any flower scents now. Orchids and daffs are lovely, but scent-free. The Root Beer Jasmine sounds extraordinary - hope you can post pictures when it blooms!

This is my garden fence and trellis...and my glorious Pink Clematis....

IMG-2891.jpg

This is from the 50 ft tall Root Beer Jasmine vine that is so fragrant, it perfumes the air all around the house. Its blooming now. It climbs an old oak tree and the blooms cascade down to the ground:

View attachment 99595
View attachment 99596
I have to admit, I thought it would have rootbeer colored flowers, haha. Can you back away for another photo to get more of the tree and vining? (Geez, look at me making special requests!)

Download the app. It's called Plant Net.

You take a picture of the plant and send it and it comes back with identification by flower or by leaf. Much better on the actual plant. I tried taking a picture of your picture. Not as effective.

Heh, just tried that and it worked -- thanks for the tip. I tried to identify it through numerous websites but that didn't work, so I came back here because your post stuck in my mind.

The second plant in my original post with the white flower is a Bloodroot. See the Wiki article here. Scroll down to the row of pix, click the first one. Note the leaves and red stems are identical to my pik. The flowers are different because mine hadn't fully bloomed yet.

Mystery solved!

This is from the 50 ft tall Root Beer Jasmine vine that is so fragrant, it perfumes the air all around the house. Its blooming now. It climbs an old oak tree and the blooms cascade down to the ground:

View attachment 99595
View attachment 99596
We have a bush really similar to that in our backyard. One day I found a huge root stump someone dumped in the ditch along the side of the road and brought it home because it was healthy and had started growing and quickly. I’ve always thought it was a wild dogwood rose bush but maybe I was wrong. The smell is intoxicatingly heavenly. Here are pictures of ours. Edit: Just realized the leaves are a bit different and yours is a vine while mines a bush.
E0A38EBF-6035-4AC8-A366-73135EB94421.jpeg049B6732-0129-4EFA-BECB-2E002B490652.jpeg

Last edited:
We have a bush really similar to that in our backyard. One day I found a huge root stump someone dumped in the ditch along the side of the road and brought it home because it was healthy and had started growing and quickly. I’ve always thought it was a wild dogwood rose bush but maybe I was wrong. The smell is intoxicatingly heavenly. Here are pictures of ours. Edit: Just realized the leaves are a bit different and yours is a vine while mines a bush.
View attachment 100211View attachment 100212
Wonder what kind of a vine that is?! It looks beautiful. Does it bloom in the spring always? The root beer jasmine blooms in the spring and then off and on in the summer.

Wonder what kind of a vine that is?! It looks beautiful. Does it bloom in the spring always? The root beer jasmine blooms in the spring and then off and on in the summer.
It’s a huge bush that blooms in the spring right after our lilacs bloom and smells heavenly. It grows incredibly fast and every couple of years I have to hard cut it back. I’m so glad I scooped it from the side of the road.

It’s a huge bush that blooms in the spring right after our lilacs bloom and smells heavenly. It grows incredibly fast and every couple of years I have to hard cut it back. I’m so glad I scooped it from the side of the road.

I think that's a Honeysuckle. I have them around here and yes, they grow like weeds! A bit too much.

But the smell, wow. The air around here is SO sweet for a couple of weeks in May it borders on sickening. Like when you stuff yourself with too many sweets and you just do not want any more.

I think that's a Honeysuckle. I have them around here and yes, they grow like weeds! A bit too much.

But the smell, wow. The air around here is SO sweet for a couple of weeks in May it borders on sickening. Like when you stuff yourself with too many sweets and you just do not want any more.
Sure doesn't look like the honeysuckle we have down here in Texas.

Heh, just tried that and it worked -- thanks for the tip. I tried to identify it through numerous websites but that didn't work, so I came back here because your post stuck in my mind.

The second plant in my original post with the white flower is a Bloodroot. See the Wiki article here. Scroll down to the row of pix, click the first one. Note the leaves and red stems are identical to my pik. The flowers are different because mine hadn't fully bloomed yet.

Mystery solved!
Terrific. I always like to know the names of plants in case I would like to have one.

Back