Little things which irritate which probably shouldn't

Last week I watched about fifteen minutes of one of those sales channels. The product that they were promoting was Estee Lauder perfumes and make up. Estee Lauder also own the Clinique brand, it's my wife's favourite. Her birthday will be coming up in a few weeks time, that's why I watched that sales channel.

The presentation was slick, although it didn't appear to be pushy, the pitch was subliminal, yet constant. The fragrance that my wife particularly likes was discounted by twenty percent, and, if you buy NOW, you can have four easy payments without any extra charge for credit. That pitch went on and on. I had enough and switched off.

There's a large pharmacy store in Salisbury, about a forty minute drive away, they stock a large range of cosmetics including the one shown on that sales channel. This store is not the sort of place that aims at the lower end of the market. The fragrance was five pounds cheaper than the discounted price that I saw on TV. It will be a sad day if the retail trade folds completely, the sharks are certainly out there, waiting.

What small things irritate you, that might not seem like a big deal to anyone else ?

Mine is packaging
Yeah
Packaging
I keep a razor knife in my desk drawer for that very reason

The other small thing is TP rolls that won't start
My lady likes to get the 'cheap' (less than 250 sheets) rolls
Gotta admit, they start better, but they seem to evaporate in the hour
(she's a bee hiver)

I get the 500 or more sheet stuff
By the case
(showed her its actually cheaper)

Anyway, my stuff seems super glued at the start
Good, soft, 2 ply
Just tears odd from the get go

Live is tough

Last edited:
I can't stand the wind-up or the sales pitch.

DisastrousBraveGreathornedowl-max-1mb.gif

Incorrect usage of medical terminology by lay people who are trying to appear knowledgeable. Especially when they mispronounce a body part such as larynx. Boy, does this drive me up a wall. Just use lay terms, it's ok to do so.
Mrs Malaprop rules. I had difficulty peeing but now I have had a circumferential I can pee straight again.

(Circumferential is an adjective. of, at, or near the circumference; surrounding; lying along the outskirts. lying within the circumference. circuitous; indirect: a circumferential manner of speech.)

Yeah
Packaging
I keep a razor knife in my desk drawer for that very reason

The other small thing is TP rolls that won't start
My lady likes to get the 'cheap' (less than 250 sheets) rolls
Gotta admit, they start better, but they seem to evaporate in the hour
(she's a bee hiver)

I get the 500 or more sheet stuff
By the case
(showed her its actually cheaper)

Anyway, my stuff seems super glued at the start
Good, soft, 2 ply
Just tears odd from the get go

Live is tough
The worse ones are those which disintegrate as soon as a drop of water touches them.

The little plastic tab on the salt container. You are suppose to push it in with something that I have yet to find actually fits and then when you finally get the thing open it gets stuck halfway and the salt doesn't pour right.
Same thing happens on many boxes such as rice. The cardboard shows where to open but you need a meat cleaver to do it, then it gets stuck halfway in the opening.

I hate when people try to rip me off.. even for the smallest thing...
Ditto and it's happening more and more as the economy worsens.

I went to open my blueberries this morn and because grocery store check out clerks now wear gloves because of the virus, they don't tape fruit packages anymore, they put an elastic over them and when I removed said elastic all my blueberries spilled all over the floor and I stepped on a few. :rolleyes: So I unexpectedly washed the floor this morning.

It also irritates me how others cope so well with multiple snowstorms every week and I'm stuck shoveling for hours while they seem able to clear off in minutes.:mad:

Science shows that offer a conundrum then start guessing at the solution like a bunch of simpletons. Please don't ask for an example I'm already irritated. Hint: Shows like What On Earth and Strange Evidence do this.

Well... here goes! My pet peeve is the inability for people to have a discussion without every other sentence being full of four-letter words. I spent over 40 years in the engineering/construction industry. Half of those years I was in confrontations with contractors almost daily. The four-letter words would spew rampantly. Many times I told my contractors, "If you ever hear me use a four-letter word, I have a $100 bill in my billfold that will be yours!" I never had to hand anyone that $100 bill. It was amazing how when someone was so mad at you, to let them blow, then calmly discuss the issue... respectfully.
Upon retirement, I taught in a vocational school for a short while. The young folks could not communicate without the use of four-letter words. When I tried to explain how much more professional they would sound and the potential for getting further in their career by using more respectful communication... I was told it was infringing on their right to free speech! The "right" to "f" this and "f" that was more important to them than being able to communicate professionally. Sheesh!
Yep! That's my pet peeve! Rant off.....

Back