Little white (online) lies....

Wren

Have you ever told one ? I had an admirer on another site, his PMs started off being very complimentary, accompanied with a ‘Friends request’, which I declined as always, most politely explaining, nothing personal but I don’t accept them

His PMs continued, gradually getting more amorous (nothing crude or offensive which I would complain to a mod) I ignored them until finally, getting fed up with his nonsense, I replied thanking him for the compliments, adding that his suggestions sounded most pleasant but, as I’m nearly 90, I didn’t think I could comply.......

Funny I never heard from him again.......:unsure:

Last edited:
once had a stalker which did cause a problem 'he was a ex copper ' he told me doesn't matter where i go on the sites I can be found 'so i ask the owner of the site can i change my name -they said it was fine to do so' so i did ' so in my profile i made my self a different person lol.. but t worked 'so yes i did make a whopping lie --but i still have to be careful ...:)

Have you ever told one ? I had an admirer on another site, his PMs started off being very complimentary, accompanied with a ‘Friends request’, which I declined as always, most politely explaining, nothing personal but I don’t accept them

His PMs continued, gradually getting more amorous (nothing crude or offensive which I would complain to a mod) I ignored them until finally, getting fed up with his nonsense, I replied thanking him for the compliments, adding that his suggestions sounded most pleasant but, as I’m nearly 90, I didn’t think I could comply.......

Funny I never heard from him again.......:unsure:

Why didn't you just block his PMs? 🤔

I am not sure if they were little white lies or big black ones........but I wrote my blogs, and on FB about my homesteading life since 2000 and people thought I was happy in my life. I was miserable and it kept getting worse. When I left it behind, including my marriage, everyone was shocked at first. I had some people who blocked or deleted me. Not sure if it was because I mislead them or didn't stick it out. I have no regrets. Sometimes you can't be totally honest.

'Any colour you like Gary, anything goes in cyberland'

I think I've told some clear (see thru) ones

Truth be told, I was never good at it
There's all that back tracking, and being careful, and sorta building as you go
Guess it mostly stopped in my early teens

A little story;

Linda

By the age of thirteen I’d mastered the art of girlfriendmanship.
The major thing about the ladies was they needed to be dazzled, swept off their feet, so to speak.
I knew this from my vast studies of Errol Flynn movies.
So, with my now astute knowledge of the opposite sex, it all came rather easy.
Take my next conquest for example.

I’ll call her ‘Linda’, mainly cause her name was (and probably still is) Linda.
I usually change the names to protect the innocent (me), but there’s nothing about Linda here that would be defamatory…pretty sure.

She had a beguiling smile…hell, all of ‘em had those beguiling smiles, but hers kinda took on a Susan Hayward look.

And, she was cool.

Never went to the same schools, as she lived in St John’s, and I lived up in the hills twenty miles outta Portland.
But I met her at swim lessons in Portland, lessons that near drowned me as I tried so hard to get hold of that long ass bamboo pole the bitch of a swim instructor kept poking at me, pushing me away from frantically hugging the edge of the pool. Very frustrating for her, as several times I’d glommed onto that pole with both arms and legs, while she tried like hell to push me off the ledge and into the deep end. I’d just climb the pole, hand over hand, like a waterborne lemur, as she’d whisk me back and forth across the pool.

It only took a half dozen lessons to figger out that one really can’t breathe water…

Linda smiled at me, thus I was smitten.

Since we didn’t have very many ways of hooking up, meeting was rather sporadic.
The next time we met was at Pier Park in St John’s.

We strolled around, holding hands…sweaty hands…a real tell in regard to my rico suave persona.
But she kept smiling and I kept sweating.

Mostly, our relationship consisted of letters and phone calls.
Letters were a snap, cause I could take my sweet time in expounding on my devil may care, swash buckling life style, but the phone calls required some fast thinking on my feet.
In my vast knowledge of the opposite sex, knowing they needed to be dazzled, my acute imagination begat that of my own version of Walter Mitty.

‘Hi, how are you?’

(I could just see her smiling that Susan Hayward smile)

‘Hi, I’m OK, now that I’m able to stitch up my shoulder.’

‘What?!’

‘Oh, it’s nuthin’, just got done fightin’ a grizzly in the back yard.’

‘Oh my god! What happened?!’

‘Well, I was choppin’ wood, and he kinda got the jump on me. So I just chopped him in the neck with my axe.’

‘Are you okay???’

‘Yeah, right now I’m stitching up my shoulder while we talk.’

‘Is the bear still there?!’

‘Naw, I chased him up the hill for several miles…had to cold camp a couple days, and lost him up in the high country.’

‘Oh, so the bear fight didn’t just happen?’

‘Uh, no…..sorta.’ (sweat)

‘Well, I gotta go. Gotta tell some folks that I’ve gotta cancel the sky diving lesson for today, so see ya.’

‘Oh, are you taking lessons?’

‘No, I teach it.’

‘Oh,’

‘Yeah, so I gotta go….bye.’ (my hands now sweat faucets)

I really don’t know what ever happened that severed our relationship.
It certainly wasn’t due to my boring life style that’s for sure.
Actually, I do remember seeing her for what was probably the last time, and somehow her smile no longer did it for me.

When I was in my mid teens, I used to think back on those times and get all embarrassed.
Then later, in my twenties, would vividly recall it all and just laugh my ass off.

'Any colour you like Gary, anything goes in cyberland'

I think I've told some clear (see thru) ones

Truth be told, I was never good at it
There's all that back tracking, and being careful, and sorta building as you go
Guess it mostly stopped in my early teens

A little story;

Linda

By the age of thirteen I’d mastered the art of girlfriendmanship.
The major thing about the ladies was they needed to be dazzled, swept off their feet, so to speak.
I knew this from my vast studies of Errol Flynn movies.
So, with my now astute knowledge of the opposite sex, it all came rather easy.
Take my next conquest for example.

I’ll call her ‘Linda’, mainly cause her name was (and probably still is) Linda.
I usually change the names to protect the innocent (me), but there’s nothing about Linda here that would be defamatory…pretty sure.

She had a beguiling smile…hell, all of ‘em had those beguiling smiles, but hers kinda took on a Susan Hayward look.

And, she was cool.

Never went to the same schools, as she lived in St John’s, and I lived up in the hills twenty miles outta Portland.
But I met her at swim lessons in Portland, lessons that near drowned me as I tried so hard to get hold of that long ass bamboo pole the bitch of a swim instructor kept poking at me, pushing me away from frantically hugging the edge of the pool. Very frustrating for her, as several times I’d glommed onto that pole with both arms and legs, while she tried like hell to push me off the ledge and into the deep end. I’d just climb the pole, hand over hand, like a waterborne lemur, as she’d whisk me back and forth across the pool.

It only took a half dozen lessons to figger out that one really can’t breathe water…

Linda smiled at me, thus I was smitten.

Since we didn’t have very many ways of hooking up, meeting was rather sporadic.
The next time we met was at Pier Park in St John’s.

We strolled around, holding hands…sweaty hands…a real tell in regard to my rico suave persona.
But she kept smiling and I kept sweating.

Mostly, our relationship consisted of letters and phone calls.
Letters were a snap, cause I could take my sweet time in expounding on my devil may care, swash buckling life style, but the phone calls required some fast thinking on my feet.
In my vast knowledge of the opposite sex, knowing they needed to be dazzled, my acute imagination begat that of my own version of Walter Mitty.

‘Hi, how are you?’

(I could just see her smiling that Susan Hayward smile)

‘Hi, I’m OK, now that I’m able to stitch up my shoulder.’

‘What?!’

‘Oh, it’s nuthin’, just got done fightin’ a grizzly in the back yard.’

‘Oh my god! What happened?!’

‘Well, I was choppin’ wood, and he kinda got the jump on me. So I just chopped him in the neck with my axe.’

‘Are you okay???’

‘Yeah, right now I’m stitching up my shoulder while we talk.’

‘Is the bear still there?!’

‘Naw, I chased him up the hill for several miles…had to cold camp a couple days, and lost him up in the high country.’

‘Oh, so the bear fight didn’t just happen?’

‘Uh, no…..sorta.’ (sweat)

‘Well, I gotta go. Gotta tell some folks that I’ve gotta cancel the sky diving lesson for today, so see ya.’

‘Oh, are you taking lessons?’

‘No, I teach it.’

‘Oh,’

‘Yeah, so I gotta go….bye.’ (my hands now sweat faucets)

I really don’t know what ever happened that severed our relationship.
It certainly wasn’t due to my boring life style that’s for sure.
Actually, I do remember seeing her for what was probably the last time, and somehow her smile no longer did it for me.

When I was in my mid teens, I used to think back on those times and get all embarrassed.
Then later, in my twenties, would vividly recall it all and just laugh my ass off.
Too funny @Gary O' . I especially laughed about the swim instructor!

When I was kinda new to the internet, I found and joined a forum. Used my full real name as screen name. A mod took me aside and explained it wasn't a good idea- leaves a person open to everything from stalking to identity theft. A few years ago I joined a forum where the rule was you needed to use a first and last name, but that it didn't have to be your own real name. So on the spur-of-the-moment I signed up with the name of a character from a novel I'd written years ago. I also hoped it would inspire me to finish the novel- although I never did!

Apparently there are people who create a fake bigger-than-life on line persona just to gain a large 'following' as it gives them a sense of power' somewhat similar to the Facebook user who accumulates hundreds of 'friends' because it indicates popularity.

JuJube: Oh God, Post it notes! When they first came out, I thought, How stupid! Why can't a person just take a piece of paper and a piece of scotch tape instead? Guess that says a lot about my brains, huh!

Back