Living alone and health

Cameron

While i am in reasonable health at the moment , having gone through cancer and then two surgeries for radiation damage in the back of my mind is how I can deal with failing health or an injury while retired alone. The health system is great in Canada albiet with the delays of a social system and bureacracy but my biggest concern is the small things such as having a someone drive me treatment , cooking meals etc while ill.

I guess one figures it out and uses paid services where need be but being alone not having someone around at times like that seems to be my biggest worry as i go through retirement

Bonnie

SF VIP
While i am in reasonable health at the moment , having gone through cancer and then two surgeries for radiation damage in the back of my mind is how I can deal with failing health or an injury while retired alone. The health system is great in Canada albiet with the delays of a social system and bureacracy but my biggest concern is the small things such as having a someone drive me treatment , cooking meals etc while ill.

I guess one figures it out and uses paid services where need be but being alone not having someone around at times like that seems to be my biggest worry as i go through retirement

Yes, it's something that all older people who live alone think about.... myself among them.
Like Pinky said, check out services in your area, and have any numbers at your disposal if needed.

Robert59

I'm living alone now because my woman friend left with her sister back to Indiana. She might be gone for three weeks or till Christmas. I have a lot health problems I have deal with for myself like Diabetes, eye shots to take every month, etc. No family or friends to depend on because they died or moved away.

Remy

I too wonder in older age how I'll be. I'm single and never had kids. If I can't drive, this town has a door to door van service associated with the public bus system that is only about 2 dollars each way. So they will take you to the front of a store and back to your home. I see the van often. Not sure how many they have.

There is also the in home support services but I don't know how low income you have to be to have that. I'd prefer not having help in the house and want to say as independent as possible. As we all do of coarse.

I have read articles about people in your situation getting a roommate (like a college student) and giving them free rent and utilities in exchange for the help. The biggest drawback is finding a willing, kind, and responsible person to do that, whether or not they are a student.

Robert59

I have read articles about people in your situation getting a roommate (like a college student) and giving them free rent and utilities in exchange for the help. The biggest drawback is finding a willing, kind, and responsible person to do that, whether or not they are a student.
I have a restaurant I hang out about every day and there is a young girl that college age that I might get to help out. Might have to pay them instead of free rent.

I have a restaurant I hang out about every day and there is a young girl that college age that I might get to help out. Might have to pay them instead of free rent.
Maybe I am just paranoid, but it seems ot me that there are risks involved for you, having to do with unfounded accusations. When my husband used to drive my daughter's friends home, I was worried about that, the kids were all teens, so my boys went along as potential witnesses to protect my husband.

OTOH, we used to live in an upscale suburb. After the kids got on the bus, the Stepford Wives were talking about their daughters having overnight sleepovers at their friends houses. The parents involved didn't have to be good friends. Just any kid at school could invite a kid for a sleepover and it would be accepted. I asked how they knew it was safe, what if the daughters got molested.

Of course they would not! These moms were sure of it. All the men were professionals and made lots of money. They came from good families. Etc. It begged the question of how anyone knows if even a close friend is a child molester. It's not like they advertise it.

Two years later, a prominent member of the community who lived a few houses away was arrested for molesting girls who slept over at his home, and for some other really bad stuff having to do with buying time with little boys. He got a very long sentence in federal prison. He was discovered by accident as the FBI were investigating a ring of men for the little boy crimes.

Cuz, you know, child sexual abuse practioners are not just limited to people in the lower classes. And there are people who make false accusations, too.

OTOH, if you know the girl well, it shouldn't be a problem. The risk will likely be small.

Robert59

Maybe I am just paranoid, but it seems ot me that there are risks involved for you, having to do with unfounded accusations. When my husband used to drive my daughter's friends home, I was worried about that, the kids were all teens, so my boys went along as potential witnesses to protect my husband.

OTOH, we used to live in an upscale suburb. After the kids got on the bus, the Stepford Wives were talking about their daughters having overnight sleepovers at their friends houses. The parents involved didn't have to be good friends. Just any kid at school could invite a kid for a sleepover and it would be accepted. I asked how they knew it was safe, what if the daughters got molested.

Of course they would not! These moms were sure of it. All the men were professionals and made lots of money. They came from good families. Etc. It begged the question of how anyone knows if even a close friend is a child molester. It's not like they advertise it.

Two years later, a prominent member of the community who lived a few houses away was arrested for molesting girls who slept over at his home, and for some other really bad stuff having to do with buying time with little boys. He got a very long sentence in federal prison. He was discovered by accident as the FBI were investigating a ring of men for the little boy crimes.

Cuz, you know, child sexual abuse practioners are not just limited to people in the lower classes. And there are people who make false accusations, too.

OTOH, if you know the girl well, it shouldn't be a problem. The risk will likely be small.
I've been thinking about not doing this because the Tennessee police told me if a person stays in your house for a few days they can claim they live there for good and it will take a judge to throw them out which costs money. People need to check their local laws about this before moving someone in. Police said if you had a travel trailer or motorhome you could have them stay there instead because that's not considered a house.

ohioboy

I've been thinking about not doing this because the Tennessee police told me if a person stays in your house for a few days they can claim they live there for good and it will take a judge to throw them out which costs money. People need to check their local laws about this before moving someone in.
The police are daft, period.