Living Alone

I enjoy living alone, and have been doing it for the last 6 years. My girl friend used to live with me, and pay me rent of $300 a month. But she died 6 years ago.

I am still living alone, but recently have found a new girl friend (way to go, Random, I knew you could do it!). She spends the night with me about once a week, and I like it. Good to have her next to me in bed, play scrabble and whatnot.

But I won't ever let her move in with me, nor I with her. Maybe I want my 'freedom' and personal space, and 'cave time'. Plus she is a hoarder, unfortunately, and I know from experience that that addiction is sort of incurable, and she would be filling up my place with stuff eventually, leading to bad things.

So I soldier on alone in my house, which is great, plus have the new GF overnight now and then. It's good.

I've lived alone for 5 years.

My feelings are mixed. Most of my relationships were too costly, financially, emotionally, or otherwise. I don't feel I can go through all that again.

However, I believe I was "not meant to" live alone. I'm not someone who can say I love living alone. Not within my present possibilities anyway. It's just something I have to do.

I have been alone for almost 2.5 years and don't like it at all. I am a social type of guy; not one of those strange hermit types. Sure miss chit chats over meals and having someone to share my life with. No one around to put up with my weird sense of humour and my cutting edge but very true comments on some TV shows.

I still make up my bed every morning but on most mornings I wonder why I'm doing this? Nobody sees, nobody cares! I guess it's a habit with me?

Last edited:
I have lived alone for 10 years. At first it was very difficult, but I have become used to it now, and I think I almost enjoy it.

I do miss the companionship, cooking together, watching TV together and discussing what we have watched.

I always remember Dear Abby's saying: It is better to be alone than to wish you were alone.

I have been alone for almost 2.5 years and don't like it at all. I am a social type of guy; not one of those strange hermit types. Sure miss chat chats over meals and having someone to share my life with. No one around to put up with my weird sense of humour and my cutting edge but very true comments on some TV shows.
Good to see you're ok John we were a little concerned that you hadn't posted for many weeks...

I live with my dog - and do not feel alone!!

This old house has a basement suite and I rent to university student(s). I prefer students from another country (Spain, France, South America - currently, a PhD student from Mexico). My family feel that I am SAFER with someone in the basement since my husband passed away.

I did rent to a Canadian student and I was ready to take the suite off the market - it was her party time; worst of all, she would wait until I was out and ask my husband for things (little did she realize I was an easier "mark"!)

I've lived alone for over ten years. At first I didn't like it - not at all. But like all things, I eventually grew to accept it then like it. In a few years after my SO retires, we may live together but I'm not entirely sold on the idea.

I have been married 3xs so spent most of my life living with someone. I divorced 2 years ago but until 4 months ago my youngest son was living with me. I am enjoying it and wouldn’t live with someone again. I have my 2 little dogs.

I have a lot of friends and my oldest son and his wife live here. If I met someone compatible I would be open to a relationship but not living together.

I live alone and it is my choice to stay this way after three marriages that ended in divorce. I am in a relationship with a wonderful man and he has his own place in the country. He understands that I will not live with him nor marry him (or anyone). My son is just down the street from and I see him almost daily. My apartment is in a senior living building so I have friends right across the hall. I do not get lonely since I am always busy and have a pet for a constant companion.

I have lived alone for 35 years and love it. I have tried sharing but the constant need for people to talk drove me crazy.
Being by myself I can do as I wish, without anyone getting in the way.
Yes, I am a loner, I could easily be a hermit, never talking to another person until the day I die.
WOW! 35 years is a pretty long time or is it? Anyway, Bretrick, here is a a good TV western that I finished a couple of months ago. You might be able to relate but you gotta love them old westerns.

Attachments

• The Loner.jpg
    The Loner.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1
Like a lot of people, I have experienced both living with a partner and living alone. I think to enjoy living with someone, you need both love and mutual respect otherwise, it's much better to have your own space. If you do live alone, I think it's important to have the support of family and friends as, sometimes in life we hit difficult times and that's when we all need a friend or two.

Like a lot of people, I have experienced both living with a partner and living alone. I think to enjoy living with someone, you need both love and mutual respect otherwise, it's much better to have your own space. If you do live alone, I think it's important to have the support of family and friends as, sometimes in life we hit difficult times and that's when we all need a friend or two.
Yes, we do need a few friends! I, too, have lived with someone and then now alone but with doggie and birdie. The pets make things better.

I’ve lived alone for many years and love the freedom, I see friends or my daughter every day, do a little voluntary work, go for walks, but just as happy to be at home, painting, cooking, reading, chatting to online friends

I could never visualise living with anybody again, I’m too independent, maybe fate will prove me wrong but he’d have to be pretty special ! ;)

I lived alone for 4-5 years. At that time I thought relationships are shit and are not at all important. But now I understand - You can live alone but you cannot spend all your life alone by your self. I have found my love in my babies ( cats ). Everyone should also find someone they can spend their whole life with and for.

Back