Loneliness - let's talk about it?

and lucky you to be travelling in beautiful British Columbia there is so much to see and do in this province. Enjoy your travels.
Thanks, it is really a huge province. I entered last week from Nugget City in the Yukon and traveled down the long, rather lonely Cassiar Highway, Today it took me all day to go from Williams Lake to Kamloops but then I never left Williams Lake until 11:30 am. The speed of the traffic is really crazy but then I'm 75 so I guess my age is showing.

Sharon, even though I've always valued my alone time, I feel lonely sometimes. I do get to talk with my neighbor (in person) whenever I'm sitting on my patio and he's coming out the door next to it. He's more elevated on the stoop and we are socially distanced. I've found that since COVID I'm talking more often with my BFF, my sister and a couple of friends. The year before COVID, I started attending a senior center twice a week. All of my "new"friends from there and I really miss going. In lieu of face to face conversation, I hope you'll be able to connect with friends your age by phone and find some degree of satisfaction in that. In the meantime, there are so many interesting "conversations" going on here that it does take up a lot of time and occupy the mind keeping up with all of them, some funny, some serious and some cute. I hope you enjoy SF as much as I do. From New Jersey.....
Welcome Butterfly Glitter.gif

Hi Sharon,welcome to SF where you'll meet members from around the world
I have no immediate family that lives near me,my older sister lives in England,my younger brother is in Conn.We do 'family zoom meetings every other Sun I have a group of close friends I see on regular basis mostly when I'm out walking
I live in an apt complex, every day when I go on my daily walks{2-3 times} I see my neighbors/other residents.Sometimes in the afternoon{weather permitting} I'll go sit in our community garden area reading my book or talking with them. I volunteer once/wk at org where I'm also a member,doing filing other office work.I continue to wear a mask whenever I go into stores,at my church
I like my alone time,I can always find things to occupy the day especially if I can't go outside due to weather reading,doing games on my smartphone Sue

Hello Sharonboomer, I haven't been here long but its been fun and a place to fill the time.
My hubby of more than 40 years died August 2, 2019, He was buried 8/26/2019 in a military ceremony in a veterans memorial cemetery. He was my friend, my muse, my trouble, my pain in the neck, my love, my fun, my road trip partner, my music man, my mister fix it, my hero. He haunts my dreams every night. I tire of him popping up in my subconscious. I ache with memories, if I'm not reading, or watching TV. If I stop filling my head with other things, he haunts my thoughts. I'm so tired of him. LOL. And sometimes I'm so lonely I just weep.

It doesn't help that for forty years I never went on a trip without him. (I did twice on a train. Terrified.) I had no friends that came to visit. I went to work and home. We went out rarely but we took road trips from one coast to the other every year.

Yes. I'm lonely. And some days I just want to hear a voice near me. I want to look into anothers eyes. I want to hear them laugh. I'm an introvert and I watch others talk and have fun and I enjoy watching but sometimes I wish someone would call me 'cause they thought of me. But no ever calls or emails unless I send one first. And often they don't reply.
So. Yeah. That's enough of that. Sorry to sob all over the forum.

Hello Sharonboomer, I haven't been here long but its been fun and a place to fill the time.
My hubby of more than 40 years died August 2, 2019, He was buried 8/26/2019 in a military ceremony in a veterans memorial cemetery. He was my friend, my muse, my trouble, my pain in the neck, my love, my fun, my road trip partner, my music man, my mister fix it, my hero. He haunts my dreams every night. I tire of him popping up in my subconscious. I ache with memories, if I'm not reading, or watching TV. If I stop filling my head with other things, he haunts my thoughts. I'm so tired of him. LOL. And sometimes I'm so lonely I just weep.

It doesn't help that for forty years I never went on a trip without him. (I did twice on a train. Terrified.) I had no friends that came to visit. I went to work and home. We went out rarely but we took road trips from one coast to the other every year.

Yes. I'm lonely. And some days I just want to hear a voice near me. I want to look into anothers eyes. I want to hear them laugh. I'm an introvert and I watch others talk and have fun and I enjoy watching but sometimes I wish someone would call me 'cause they thought of me. But no ever calls or emails unless I send one first. And often they don't reply.
So. Yeah. That's enough of that. Sorry to sob all over the forum.
🤗

Over the years I have watched as family members passed, one by one. I never married. I had a cat. It wasnt supposed to be MY cat but I ended up with him. He was a most bodacious thing, smart, fun. He was a male snowshoe siamese. He was 15 1/2 and has been gone now 5 1/2 years. If I think about him to long it breaks me up. I miss him dearly. I live alone. I know very few people here where I grew up. I was gone a long time. Military took a lot, then jobs here and there. And now I am here. And I believe this is where I belong.

I live with my adult son, but due to health issues, am basically a shut-in. I got ill and divorced. Friends wandered away years ago.
I had Kitty but then she died. Then I had Little Kitty but then she died. Then there was Kitty-Cat, but we had to put her down earlier this year. I've had enough cats. If my spine deteriorates much more, I'll be in a wheelchair. My faith is my lifeboat. This group helps. :)

Over the years I have watched as family members passed, one by one. I never married. I had a cat. It wasnt supposed to be MY cat but I ended up with him. He was a most bodacious thing, smart, fun. He was a male snowshoe siamese. He was 15 1/2 and has been gone now 5 1/2 years. If I think about him to long it breaks me up. I miss him dearly. I live alone. I know very few people here where I grew up. I was gone a long time. Military took a lot, then jobs here and there. And now I am here. And I believe this is where I belong.
CD, is it possible for you to have another cat? You seem like a fantastic pet owner whom any cat would be lucky to live with.

Yes, loneliness is a problem. I do miss certain things like going to special places together over a long weekend. The thing I miss the most is cuddling while watching a movie after dinner. And cuddling in bed. Not for sex, mind you. Just for the sake of cuddling.
However, there are many positives of living alone. The number one positive thing is not having to listen to nagging or having to always explain what took me so long while shopping.
In balance, I'd say I'm better off living alone.

Canadian singer and song writer, Paul Anka had this song about loneliness way back in the 1950s.

I'm just a lonely boy, lonely and blue
I'm all alone with nothin' to do
I've got everything you could think of
But all I want is someone to love

Someone, yes, someone to love
Someone to kiss, someone to hold at a moment like this
I'd like to hear somebody say
I'll give you my love each night and day

I embrace the thought that I have never been alone. I share kinship with the trees, the air, the water, and the shadows. And God. Now this may sound all airy fairy, but it is real. I have several times in life, because of carnal or other cravings, ended up entwined in relationships that were simply bad ideas. Walk, breathe, notice the flowers, and the way the morning sun creates glittery diamonds upon the lake. That is my plan. I hope that you find some earthly delights, with which to fill your mind. This is a magical place.

Back