Looking for a 55+ community and would like to talk with some folks with experience and recommendations.

stokercv

We are both 77, wife uses a walker 100%. We currently live in a townhouse area in Boise and would like to move closer to Meridian or Nampa.

Pinky

Welcome to the forum, stokercv. There's a lot of information here, and hopefully, you will find some good advice.
welcome.stars.gif

stokercv

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome. We have just recently started looking so hoping for good information.

PopsnTuff

5bafcd6691da83003c09b883f5360ee4.gif

Glad you're here Stokercv....I'm sure you'll get some good feedback from our members 😊 Wish I could be of some help but
I'm on the eastcoast in Virginia....you can start a new topic by clicking on Forum, then clicking on Senior Retirement....best wishes.

MarciKS

Whatever...
The 55+ retirement community here is $1600 a month for a studio apt. That's my entire monthly income.

I have a 1 bedroom apt for $500 a month. I'd rather stay put.

bowmore

If you want to get to a more temperate climate, come see us. We live in a +55 MHP in California's Central Coast

Manatee

We live in a condo apartment near the gulf coast of Florida. One thing that we have learned is that there are many varieties of 55+ communities.
Some are owned and others are rental. We bought ours for cash, but there is a monthly maintenance fee that covers exterior maintenance, water, sewer, garbage and rec centers/pools and street maintenance. The community has a population of approximately 9000.

macgeek

Geek Member
I know one property management company you should avoid. Enterprise Community Partners. They go by other names like RHOME, Enterprise Residential. There main office is in Baltimore Maryland. Avoid living at any property these people manage. They are terrible.

Aneeda72

I am in Utah, I use a walker. If I could I would move to where it does not snow, I am pretty much trapped in the winter. Welcome to the forum.

Sunny

SF VIP
I'm in a 55+ community, which I like a lot. Big variety of homes, including apartments, town houses, and bigger, stand-alone houses. No need to cope with stairs if you don't want to. I'm in an apartment, and even though I can walk stairs perfectly well, I like not having to do it.

Prices vary a lot, but the smaller condos are very affordable.

What I mostly like about living here is all the activities. Of course, that's in normal times, not now. There's always something to do, and someone to talk with.

But I am in Maryland, and it sounds like you want to remain in Idaho. Not sure how many retirement communities there are out there, but I'm sure there are some.

MarciKS

Whatever...
I'm in a 55+ community, which I like a lot. Big variety of homes, including apartments, town houses, and bigger, stand-alone houses. No need to cope with stairs if you don't want to. I'm in an apartment, and even though I can walk stairs perfectly well, I like not having to do it.

Prices vary a lot, but the smaller condos are very affordable.

What I mostly like about living here is all the activities. Of course, that's in normal times, not now. There's always something to do, and someone to talk with.

But I am in Maryland, and it sounds like you want to remain in Idaho. Not sure how many retirement communities there are out there, but I'm sure there are some.
what do you consider very affordable? just curious.:)

Sunny

SF VIP
A really small studio apartment is under $100,000. Most apartments are under $300,000. Mine has two bedrooms and two full baths and would probably go for about $250,000 now. Not sure, but that's the ball park. It's about 1100 sq. ft.

The big, standalone homes, and the luxury penthouse apartments are in the neighborhood of $600,000 or so.

The condo fee is about $500 a month for my unit. That includes all upkeep of the building (and they keep it immaculate), security, landscaping, free cable TV, admission to many activities though most of the individual clubs require yearly fees of about $10, free gym, pool, tennis courts, computer room, library, etc. The golf course requires a separate membership. (I'm not a golfer.) No meals included, although we do have restaurants. There is free bus transport within our community, and for a short distance outside of it. Which is very nice for people who don't drive.