Looking forward to road trip in about 3 wks

CinnamonSugar

A Quiet American
My contract in Houston will be finished in mid February and I plan to hit the road for home (South Georgia) and make at least a couple stops on the way. First, Covington, Louisiana—my Dad’s home town. Never been there...might find some kinfolk! 😊. Then I want to take in Monroe, Alabama, home of Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird).
should be a good time to do this route... as the author Gwen Bristow observed, “February in the Deep South is Blue and Gold.”

Welcome! What kind of work are you involved with? Do you enjoy moving from city to city? South Georgia sounds like a lovely place to live! I have always lived in the south and don't think this southern girl would enjoy living in any other area.

Sounds like you're excited for a wonderful road trip, I hope you have great fun, and maybe find some relatives on the way.

As an Englisher ( as my American friend would call me):D I have no idea of the distances involved..is it very far from Houston to South Georgia... ?

Have a wonderful time! I always loved a road trip. I have friends in both Alabama n Georgia. I hope you have great weather n have a safe trip!

Road trips and relocation trips can be fun and interesting. We've done both. On our last relocation trip, from northeastern Florida back to Colorado, as we could see The Rockies in the distance, we thought "we're back home". For us, it was very cool to see all of the farm-ranchland, cattle grazing, etc. that we had missed for 10 1/2 years.

As an Englisher ( as my American friend would call me):D I have no idea of the distances involved..is it very far from Houston to South Georgia... ?
[/QUOTE]

hollydolly, it’s about 900 miles.

The Rockies in the distance, we thought "we're back home". For us, it was very cool to see all of the farm-ranchland, cattle grazing, etc. that we had missed for 10 1/2 years.
Welcome back, CR! Glad to see you made it.

I recall when my wife and I made our first road trip to the west coast many decades ago. Eastern Colorado is very flat, and at our first sight of the mountains on the western horizon our reaction was "Hmmm ... they don't look all that big". That impression slowly changed as we drove on (and on and on), and we were suitably impressed by the next day when we were camping at 14,000 feet!

I flew over the Rockies hundreds, well, probably thousands of times. I never tired of seeing the snow over the tops of the peaks in July and August when it would be sweltering elsewhere.

We would be flying anywhere between 35,000 and 42,000 feet and it would look like I could reach out and touch them. Really beautiful, especially in the early evenings.

This tempts my sense of humor ( or mischievousness?) to invent answers for you. :sneaky:

It's about as far as the North pole is from you, Holly.
Or about as far as Cape Town, South Africa, is from you, in the opposite direction, I'd say.
:ROFLMAO:

It sounds like a great and fun adventure to me, Cinnamon Sugar !

Btw, when I read the real reply, I was surprised it is as far as it is.
And I'm from the U.S. The joke's on me! :LOL:

This tempts my sense of humor ( or mischievousness?) to invent answers for you. :sneaky:

It's about as far as the North pole is from you, Holly.
Or about as far as Cape Town, South Africa, is from you, in the opposite direction, I'd say.
:ROFLMAO:

It sounds like a great and fun adventure to me, Cinnamon Sugar !

Btw, when I read the real reply, I was surprised it is as far as it is.
And I'm from the U.S. The joke's on me! :LOL:
just soyaknow... Cape town is a 12 hour flight from here,.,... :ROFLMAO:

@CinnamonSugar
Will you have a set pre-planned itinerary, or will you have a flexible schedule,
for your upcoming road trip?

@oldman
That must have been a very long flight, perhaps back years ago, when you were in the Service?

I've never taken that long a flight.
Nice thing about driving places, is you can stop and get out, or rest, when you want or need to.

But there are some places, you just cannot drive to! :ROFLMAO:

Back