Looking to Get a Tablet

johndoe

I used search to research on tablets, but what I found was from last year and older. With new members and newer tablets, it's worth another post. I'm looking for one to use in the living room when all other entertainment options are exhausted. Got a tablet? Like it?

I used search to research on tablets, but what I found was from last year and older. With new members and newer tablets, it's worth another post. I'm looking for one to use in the living room when all other entertainment options are exhausted. Got a tablet? Like it?

I have a 10 inch Dragon touch screen tablet (Amazon $109) and a 15 inch Acer Chromebook laptop.

61ieAdI3TCL._SL1001_.jpg

I do love my laptop for emails and searches, but rarely use it. I have the largest size Kindle, a 10 inch I think, and it is awesome! I read books and play games. I read that it was a very inexpensive replacement for the usual sort of tablet. I wouldn't buy anything else. It's about the sixth one I've had. (I've been buying them for years) The main problem seems to be the plug where it charges wearing out. I'm not sure, but if I contacted Amazon, they might offer discounts. I think it's a common problem as my son told me he had the same problem with his girls'. They're very young though. I can't see them being careful with theirs.

I have my laptop, which I use for most things. I also have a 7" Amazon Fire Tablet that my husband used. It is OK, but when the time comes to replace it, I will go 10" as the 7 is way to small to read from. Right now I just play solitaire on it, read emails and watch You Tube videos. I think when I get a bigger one I will get the Fire, too .

I have a EVOO 11.6 inch screen laptop that is convertible into a tablet. It is touch screen with a rather small keyboard. very light weight.

Have a Samsung Galaxy 10", but rarely use it. It's okay though.... just guess my entertainment options don't get exhausted very often :)

I never had one so I guess I will just use it for a while until I tier of it like most toys.
Well, they are quite useful as e-readers, for games, for watching cable subscription channels or streaming channels, email, etc. Pretty much the same things you can do on a computer, but without a mouse and on a smaller scale. If you have Apple devices you'd probably enjoy an iPad to integrate with existing devices. A good value in a tablet is the Amazon Fire, which will probably be on a killer sale on Monday... "Prime Day."

A tablet is small and easier to carry around than a laptop, so it's convenient if you want something to take from room to room. Apart from that, I prefer my laptop. I like to use a mouse, don't like all this 'finger stuff'. The screen quickly gets all smeared.

I have a 10" Acer tablet that is in constant use. I use it for reading ebooks from Amazon (Kindle books) and for solitaire games during TV commercials. I find I can do almost everything with it that I can do on my 10" Chromebook.

Originally I had a 5" Sony e-reader but that was a bit too small for old eyes then I had a 7" Kobo reader, still too small and complicated. That led me to the 10" android tablet.

All I have used for the last 5+ years is my ipad, and I totally LOVE it ! In fact , I have accumulated several of them. My large one is the almost 13” iPad Pro , and I have the Bluetooth keyboard for that one, so it is Iike having a really lightweight laptop, but with touchscreen.
I have a smaller one that I use when I am traveling, or just reading and not going to be doing much typing on it.
Right now is a really great time to get an iPad , if you are considering getting a tablet. Apple just announced that their newest iPad 7 will only start at a little over $300, which is really cheap for a brand now iPad.
It has many of the features of an iPad Pro , and can use the Apple Pencil, if you want something for artistic use, or just for writing notes with.
I checked Best Buy this morning, and already they have made drastic price cuts to the older models of iPad that they have in stock, because most of those were priced higher than the brand new iPad is selling for, and the new one is just over 10”, so is a little larger size than the older models are.
Apple is also giving a free year’s subscription for Apple TV+ along with any Apple device (new) that is purchased this fall; so if you like watching and streaming movies, this makes it an even better deal !

Also, @A2ZGrammie , I have a solution for the connection problems with your Kindle.
Amazon has little magnetic connectors, and you put one end into the Kindle (or whatever device you are using), and the other end connects with the standard USB end, and then the magnetic connectors link up, so you. Never have to try and plug or unplug your devices , you just connect the magnets.
My daughter brought me some of these, and we use them on all of our devices, but they are especially great for Kindles, because they have that uncooperative little plug that always takes me at least 3 tries to get it connected right side up.

Attachments

• 1A8C0181-7282-4AEF-B519-18D4101311A9.jpeg
    1A8C0181-7282-4AEF-B519-18D4101311A9.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Also, @A2ZGrammie , I have a solution for the connection problems with your Kindle.
Amazon has little magnetic connectors, and you put one end into the Kindle (or whatever device you are using), and the other end connects with the standard USB end, and then the magnetic connectors link up, so you. Never have to try and plug or unplug your devices , you just connect the magnets.
My daughter brought me some of these, and we use them on all of our devices, but they are especially great for Kindles, because they have that uncooperative little plug that always takes me at least 3 tries to get it connected right side up.

Oh how awesome! I hate those little plugs the devices come with these days! I have such a hard time with them. They are a real problem on my bluetooth, which has a horribly short cord.

My son had to ditch the Kindles he had for his daughters, as they had ruined the charger plugs.

I am certainly going to look for these. I didn't know there was such a thing. That is a wonderful tip, and I am so greatful to you for telling me!

Wonderful wonderful idea!!! Thank you.

oh and also @Happyflowerlady I am totally jealous of your bluetooth keyboard! Do you like it? I've thought about getting something similar for my Kindle. That's all that I seem to be missing with it, or I would replace my laptop with the Kindle. The Kindle seems to be a bit hard with email as well, but I could be doing something wrong. As I've said, I'm very computer illiterate.

You can absolutely get a keyboard for your Kindle, @A2ZGrammie , just look on Amazon for kindle keyboard case. Since i use my iPad for everything, and the Kindle only for reading, I have not added a keyboard for mine, but if you are going to use it for the internet and doing much typing, then an external keyboard is perfect.
Amazon has Bluetooth keyboard cases for under $20, and up , depending on what you like. You can also just get a Bluetooth keyboard that is universal for any device with Bluetooth, if you do not want a keyboard case.
The smaller Kindles are pretty cheap, so you might want to get a small Kindle for reading, and then a keyboard case for the large Kindle that you can use instead of a laptop.
Once you have the large Kindle in a case, it is more awkward to use for just reading. That is why I have both an iPad and a Kindle.

I had an I Pad mini given to me.(Apple)
I really like it.
And there is a messaging system on it that I love.
You can send messages including picture to any other person with an I pad and it's free.
And we can communicate, something similar to Skype.
It depends what you are looking for and what is important to you.
Also I like the charger cords that the I pad has. They seem a lot sturdier than android. They don't have those tiny pins.

All I have used for the last 5+ years is my ipad, and I totally LOVE it ! In fact , I have accumulated several of them. My large one is the almost 13” iPad Pro , and I have the Bluetooth keyboard for that one, so it is Iike having a really lightweight laptop, but with touchscreen.
I have a smaller one that I use when I am traveling, or just reading and not going to be doing much typing on it.
Right now is a really great time to get an iPad , if you are considering getting a tablet. Apple just announced that their newest iPad 7 will only start at a little over $300, which is really cheap for a brand now iPad.
It has many of the features of an iPad Pro , and can use the Apple Pencil, if you want something for artistic use, or just for writing notes with.
I checked Best Buy this morning, and already they have made drastic price cuts to the older models of iPad that they have in stock, because most of those were priced higher than the brand new iPad is selling for, and the new one is just over 10”, so is a little larger size than the older models are.
Apple is also giving a free year’s subscription for Apple TV+ along with any Apple device (new) that is purchased this fall; so if you like watching and streaming movies, this makes it an even better deal !

Who knew these little magnetic goodies existed? Just ordered a set with high hopes they it solve my tablet charging problem. Thanks for the tip - I'll keep you posted.

This is an older thread, but I'll respond. I have a Samsung Galaxy (android) with a large screen. I like it a lot, but don't know if that would be what you want for 'entertainment'. I use it for travel to access emails, websites that are travel related, and weather forecasts. And a major function is the GPS. I use it to find my way around when traveling.

@Happyflowerlady I think you are absolutely right about having a Kindle just for reading. I've heard that the paperwhites are really nice for that. Maybe that's what I need to do. My Kindle isn't really good for reading, although I have the settings fixed so it is nice for me to read, it's not quite comfortable for reading in bed. (which is where I use it mostly!)

Maybe I'm going to have to put some of these things on my Christmas list...well, I hate to admit it, but I do have a birthday coming up as well. I'd love to have the connector you mentioned, and the keyboard. I'm still looking for the connector on Amazon, but I just looked briefly. I definitely need them!

I have 5 tablets. My Samsung Galaxy is the best. This iPad that I am using takes fits at times.

Back