Losing Keys an issue?

Bretrick

Every time I park my car there always seems to be so many water drainage grates in the car parks I get paranoid about dropping my keys down one. I am always on the lookout for them and give them a wide berth.
Not so easy to rescue them either. Grates are usually solidly fixed in place.
Keys are either Stainless Steel or Brass, non magnetic.
Might be wise to, 1)Have a piece of Iron plate added to my key ring. 2)Purchase a telescoping magnet to retrieve keys. Always kept in the car.
Even though after 35 years of driving I have never dropped the keys down a drain, best to be prepared?
Paranoia :)

I have the same fear of them falling down a drain grate! I look out for them all the time in the parking lot here. I sometimes walk the dog there.

I also reach in my pocket about 5 times or so while walking doggie to make sure my keys are still there. Maybe a little OCDish.

I never drop or lose them but fear that.

Have you thought of , or considered,
attaching them to your own clothing, in some manner, perhaps with a long strap or elastic?
And perhaps before you close your own door. So that you know they cannot be dropped all the way to the ground.

The keys could then still be kept in your pocket, or even used for driving, that way, and not removed from the long strap, till after you are back at or inside your home, if you find it helpful.

It is a habit I thought of, that worked very well for my family member who might lock self out of car or apartment, but it could possibly be helpful for other reasons, as well.

Last edited:
I have the same fear of them falling down a drain grate! I look out for them all the time in the parking lot here. I sometimes walk the dog there.

I also reach in my pocket about 5 times or so while walking doggie to make sure my keys are still there. Maybe a little OCDish.

I never drop or lose them but fear that.
I do the same thing, always checking my pockets for my keys and making sure my wallet is still in my back pocket as well. :oops:

Have you thought of , or considered,
attaching them to your own clothing, in some manner, perhaps with a long strap or elastic?
And perhaps before you close your own door.

The keys could then still be kept in your pocket, or even used for driving, that way, and not removed from the long strap, till after you are back at or inside your home, if you find it helpful.

It is a habit I thought of, that worked very well for my family member who might lock self out of car or apartment, but it could possibly be helpful for other reasons, as well.
I used to have my keys clipped to my trousers belt strap.
One day at work, somehow a couple of the keys fell off, my car key and the gate key to my work place. I never heard them fall off so I had no idea where they fell of.
One of the machines I was operating that day had a deep waterbed, the waterbed is 25 meters long.
The keys must have fallen in there and there was no way to find them.
I had to ring for a locksmith to cut me a new car key. It was after hours and the key cost me $325.

If it’s your car key that you’re most afraid of losing, make a duplicate and put it in a magnetic box that can be adhered to your car or put it on a wire that is attached to the car.

I used to have my keys clipped to my trousers belt strap.
One day at work, somehow a couple of the keys fell off, my car key and the gate key to my work place. I never heard them fall off so I had no idea where they fell of.
One of the machines I was operating that day had a deep waterbed, the waterbed is 25 meters long.
The keys must have fallen in there and there was no way to find them.
I had to ring for a locksmith to cut me a new car key. It was after hours and the key cost me $325.

That was an awful experience, for sure.
I have sometimes, carried my spare key in a different location than the ones I am using.

downsized to an apartment a few years ago. locking yself out was a worry of mine but ended up not possible... had to lock door with key on outside. i have apartment key, laubdry room key and all those store "cards" on on key change and car keys on separate one that snaps on.

i had been to my brother's for thanksgiving. i get home and door keys are MISSING. it's Black Friday, office is closed. i call out of desperation... someone came to my rescue after i sat in my car for about an hour. the missing keys? brother found them in his front yard... apparently fell off unnoticed as they landed on grass.

brother lives about 75 miles away!

Last edited:
I have similar fears.

I blame them on my mother and her lectures about being careful not to lose the money in my mitten. 😊

My fear today is leaving my apartment without my keys and hearing that sickening click as the door closes behind me.
Aunt Bea, I have several keys hidden in places outside my apartment, just in case. And my next-door neighbor and I are holding keys to each other's apartments, which she has once had to ask for already; I have not, but I'm sure that day will come.

I've learned to appreciate the newer cars that don't require ever touching keys or even the computer chip in the transmitter.
I just leave everything in my pocket. All I have to do is touch the door handle or the trunk lid to open it. If I want to use the transmitter, I can lock or unlock the doors or trunk from 20 feet away.
Touching the door handle when leaving the car locks everything. Same with starting or shutting off the car. No dropping or fumbling.

Last edited:
How about we all make huge, stiff cardboard cut-outs of a key, 🔑
to add to our key ring, so it would solve all (or most) of the above-mentioned occurrences and all of our worries, too! :LOL: :giggle: :geek:

I usually carry my keys on a lanyard attached to my belt that is long enough for the keys to go into my trouser pocket.
In my last job as a maintenance man, I fished keys out of drains several times for various people using both mechanical fingers and magnets. Not one of them even offered to buy me a drink.

When Working I always carried an extra set of all keys in my left pocket. Used the ones in the right pocket.

Then I got cars/Durango that had fobs. so now the fob stays in my pocket & I just touch the handle to lock or unlock, then get in & push the start/stop button.

Back