Loss of smell and taste another symptom of Coronavirus

The questions surrounding whether or not loss of sense of smell was one of the best indicators of coronavirus infection today on our UK tv, (BBC I think it was?).

The expert lady being interviewed said that she'd heard a lot reports about this today, but it was only one of many many symptoms to bear in mind, starting with the most obvious ones, high fever/high temperature, and a dry cough that doesn't bring up any phlegm.

I think she said it isn't confirmed yet that loss of sense of smell, though identified as being a symptom some time ago, whether it is a sign in many/most cases.

I used to lose smell and taste at the latter half of illness with a fever. Not in the beginning. This is unique. Also I heard too much zinc can cause a loss of taste? And could other respiratory illnesses also lead to the loss of smell since they can produce extra fluids/mucus which could clog or line the nose thus hampering smell?

While I was walking the dogs this morning (30 minutes) Dave cooked some bacon. I walked in the house and said, "I smell bacon!" He said he was just testing me for the corona virus. LOL! So we had bacon and scrambled eggs tucked into a pita bread with salsa on top. Delish!

Back