Love as a foundation

When you protect yourself from pain, be sure you do not protect yourself from love

I don't think they taught love. They taught people how to become cult members and vilify and exclude those who won't conform. Some religion teaches flat out violence like stoning to death or chopping off limbs as punishment for breaking their "rules".
Think about what you are saying here. You can love people without religion being involved at all. It's secular humanism. I do it everyday and it works but I don't want to get killed for my beliefs nor should anyone live in a world with that kind of fear of retaliation from religion.

@chic , Jesus, Muhammad and Buddha did not teach people how to become cult members and vilify and exclude those who won't conform. They taught tolerance, compassion and respect for one's fellow man. Religious organization leaders use the power of their position to bring about all manners of violence on believers and non-believers, to control the masses and their valuables.

In present day America some religious groups claim to love Jesus, but they certainly don't love or respect what he stands for.

You can love people without religion being involved at all. It's secular humanism.

Of course, that goes without saying.

@chic , Jesus, Muhammad and Buddha did not teach people how to become cult members and vilify and exclude those who won't conform. They taught tolerance, compassion and respect for one's fellow man. Religious organization leaders use the power of their position to bring about all manners of violence on believers and non-believers, to control the masses and their valuables.

In present day America some religious groups claim to love Jesus, but they certainly don't love or respect what he stands for.

Of course, that goes without saying.
IDK. We don't even know for certain WHAT Jesus taught because the main source of info used to establish this is the bible so if you take that away?

In any case, Jesus didn't have much patience with those who opposed him and did react with violence on occasion if you believe the new testament when he drove the money changers out of the temple. He didn't invite them to dinner and conversation about the issue, he reacted with anger. He also told his disciples to shake the dust from their garments against any town that did not receive them willingly.

So I tend to see all religions as the same. They're about money, power and control, not love. This is just my opinion and experience with organized religion. Others will differ. Sorry.

IDK. We don't even know for certain WHAT Jesus taught because the main source of info used to establish this is the bible so if you take that away?

In any case, Jesus didn't have much patience with those who opposed him and did react with violence on occasion if you believe the new testament when he drove the money changers out of the temple. He didn't invite them to dinner and conversation about the issue, he reacted with anger. He also told his disciples to shake the dust from their garments against any town that did not receive them willingly.

So I tend to see all religions as the same. They're about money, power and control, not love. This is just my opinion and experience with organized religion. Others will differ. Sorry.
That's fine with me.

Jesus, Muhammad and Buddha did not teach people how to become cult members and vilify and exclude those who won't conform. They taught tolerance, compassion and respect for one's fellow man. Religious organization leaders use the power of their position to bring about all manners of violence on believers and non-believers, to control the masses and their valuables.
I agree: "It's not non-believers who turn messiahs into monsters; it's the messiahs' own followers who do." ~~Jane T. Godfrey

I wish I didn’t feel this way but unfortunately I do. I think most religions are all about power and money. They may not have started that way, but they sure end that way. Power/ control and money ARE definitely at play in real life and on sites like these. One can’t escape from power trippers

It {is} impossible to look at a pilot whale cutting through the water, or a dolphin leaping out of a wave for the sheer joy of being alive, and not love them. They {are} majestic wonders of the natural world, and if mankind {has} any obligation left to the sea that {has} been its birthplace, it {is} preserving the ones {who’ve} stayed behind.

~~from Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant

Back