Low Blood Sugar? High Blood Pressure?

fureverywhere

beloved friend who will always be with us in spiri
Weird symptom but sometimes I'll get shaky and fuzzy headed. Usually it's when I've forgotten to eat for too long. Today at work I was doing fine. Breakfast a few hours before. A customer was talking to me and the room became gray and started spinning.

Scary indeed, but fortunately I had someone to take my place as I scurried to the employee break room. Must find sugar RIGHT NOW. I'm sure the young man back there wondered why I was sucking up a container of maple syrup and pouring it in my water bottle. But it worked...within ten minutes I was okay again.

Just got blood work results perfectly normal a few months ago. What's going on here?

Tomorrow I have a grape juice six pack for my locker. Also two gel icing tubes for behind the register.

I have the same issue, Fur. My doc said not to worry about it, as my bloodwork is normal. He said it just happens to some people when their sugar gets too low; I'll get that way when it's been too long since I've eaten. That feeling, when it's going on, is pretty dramatic, no? I've dealt with it on and off all my life and my docs have all said ho hum. Funny how fast it clears when you get some glucose in your system. Fastest way for me to get rid of it is to put some honey under my tongue.

Like I said it was scary. This woman is asking some detailed question about grain free dog food and I was just staring at her...Ma'am I rilly rilly want to help you but I'm having a big problem here...But yeah, anything sweet...that maple syrup was a blessing.

I used to get that. I think it's called rebound hypoglycemia. It happens to me when I eat sugar without protein. Caffeine makes it worse. Your body tries to compensate for the sugar, and you end up with low blood sugar dip. I actually think it's not a bad thing. Means you body is working correctly. But they say don't keep pushing it.

Example:
Waffles with a lot of syrup and regular coffee, I get the shakes, rapid heartbeat, cold sweats, weakness, about 15 minutes later. Lasts about 20 minutes and leaves you drained. Only thing that stops it quickly is more sugar.

Plop a fried egg on top of the waffles, everything else the same...no reaction at all.:rolleyes:

Some FYI

http://chealth.canoe.com/Condition/GetCondition/Low-Blood-Sugar

from the link, there's a lot more information in the article:

Other types of hypoglycemia include fasting hypoglycemia and reactive hypoglycemia.
In fasting hypoglycemia, a person gets low blood sugar if they haven't eaten for a while.

Reactive hypoglycemia is low blood sugar that occurs after eating, usually due to eating a meal high in carbohydrates. This causes the blood sugar to rise rapidly, which in some cases may stimulate excess secretion of insulin. People may also have reactive hypoglycemia if they have trouble digesting fructose and galactose (two types of sugars found in foods) or leucine (an amino acid found in foods). It may also occur after some types of stomach surgery, as this may cause sugars to be absorbed too quickly, leading to excessively high insulin levels, which can cause hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia can also be caused by a problem with the pituitary or adrenal glands, the pancreas, the kidneys, or the liver. The pituitary gland controls the body's production of some of the hormones needed to raise the body's blood sugar levels if they fall too low. These hormones include cortisol, which is released from the adrenal glands; glucagon, which is released from the pancreas; and adrenaline, which is released from the adrenal gland medulla. These hormones all help raise blood sugar levels. If they are not working properly, this could cause hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia can also result when the liver can't properly store carbohydrates or convert them into glucose. A tumour on the pancreas can also cause hypoglycemia by causing too much insulin to be released. In cases of severe kidney dysfunction, hypoglycemia might also develop.

People who drink alcohol excessively (without eating) can develop severe hypoglycemia.

I have hypoglycemia, but I control it with my diet. I also keep a few packets of pure cane sugar with me at all times, just in case I need immediate relief.

Could be a sign of stress. Doing anything to relieve stress and/or exercising? Work is not the samething as working out even though just as tough at times.

Oy, any more exercise and I'll fall over. But I got smart for future bouts. I have a grape juice bottle six pack in my locker and two tubes of gel icing by the cash register. Instant sugar when needed, that was too scary.

Fur, I've had that happen a few times when I haven't eaten and it's pretty scary. You probably would have passed out if you hadn't found the maple syrup or at least sat down. Corn syrup is actually a quicker way to get pure glucose into your body which is what you need. Sugar is fructose and glucose. The maple syrup you had at work was likely a blend of maple and corn syrup which is why you felt relief so quickly. You could also buy a bottle of Karo Corn Syrup at the grocery store and just take a spoon of that. It would make the feeling go away fast. There are energy bars and gels for hikers and bikers that have corn syrup or glucose as one of the first ingredients that might be more convenient.

Back