Low-income senior housing "Waitlists"

I grew up in a very poor area of Appalachia, in a home most of you wouldn't consider - "4 rooms and a path" - and one of the lessons I learned at a very young age was that "beggars can't be choosers". So if you are expecting the government/tax payers/the systems/etc to provide you with heavily subsidized housing, then maybe you need to go where ever that housing might be available, and live with what ever is available. Sure, everybody who is willing to accept some responsibility should have a roof over their head, and it is a good use of taxpayer funds to provide it, but it should be a the lowest possible cost. Otherwise, pencil me in for "Charlie Harper's" Malibu beach house.

I grew up in a very poor area of Appalachia, in a home most of you wouldn't consider - "4 rooms and a path" - and one of the lessons I learned at a very young age was that "beggars can't be choosers". So if you are expecting the government/tax payers/the systems/etc to provide you with heavily subsidized housing, then maybe you need to go where ever that housing might be available, and live with what ever is available. Sure, everybody who is willing to accept some responsibility should have a roof over their head, and it is a good use of taxpayer funds to provide it, but it should be a the lowest possible cost. Otherwise, pencil me in for "Charlie Harper's" Malibu beach house.
However- how many people who need subsidized housing are working and paying taxes into these programs in the first place?

However- how many people who need subsidized housing are working and paying taxes into these programs in the first place?
Not sure what your point is, and if you think it is relevant, then you need to do the research to find the data. As a reminder, almost half of American families pay nothing in income taxes, so I doubt that many of the folks needing subsidized housing are in the top half of earners. I'm retired, but still pay plenty in taxes. Does that mean I get the subsidized Malibu beach house?

Not sure what your point is, and if you think it is relevant, then you need to do the research to find the data. As a reminder, almost half of American families pay nothing in income taxes, so I doubt that many of the folks needing subsidized housing are in the top half of earners. I'm retired, but still pay plenty in taxes. Does that mean I get the subsidized Malibu beach house?
Maybe I should have just worded it as a statement.

That wouldn't change the facts.
What 'facts' are you referring to?

With the exception of one individual who had serious medical conditions and two elderly retired individuals, everyone I've known who had Section 8 housing assistance was employed- and being employed includes paying taxes.

https://eligibility.com/section-8/facts-about-housing-choice-section-8-voucher-participants

As for me personally, I've had current residence (small apartment) through numerous landlords, the second landlord asked tenants to go on Section 8. I'm still employed, and still paying taxes.

So regardless of your opinion, you're not better than us.

What 'facts' are you referring to?

With the exception of one individual who had serious medical conditions and two elderly retired individuals, everyone I've known who had Section 8 housing assistance was employed- and being employed includes paying taxes.

https://eligibility.com/section-8/facts-about-housing-choice-section-8-voucher-participants

As for me personally, I've had current residence (small apartment) through numerous landlords, the second landlord asked tenants to go on Section 8. I'm still employed, and still paying taxes.

So regardless of your opinion, you're not better than us.
Sorry, but the facts are that if your friends qualified for section 8 housing, they most likely were not paying any federal income tax. If withheld, they get it back as a refund. And, as i stated, I'm not opposed to subsidized housing for the truly needy. I just think the expectation that the subsidized housing be located where most convenient and have all amenities is unrealistic.

And I don't understand your last comment at all.

Sorry, but the facts are that if your friends qualified for section 8 housing, they most likely were not paying any federal income tax. If withheld, they get it back as a refund. And, as i stated, I'm not opposed to subsidized housing for the truly needy. I just think the expectation that the subsidized housing be located where most convenient and have all amenities is unrealistic.

And I don't understand your last comment at all.
I've never been one to ask anybody personal information especially financial, but I know I'M paying federal income tax because I've been full-time self-employed for many years. I don't receive refunds.
I have subsidized housing thru Section 8, but deal with all of my utility bills myself as I always did.

As for expectations, maybe some people are unreasonably picky, but I'm not and have never been. Currently I'm hoping to find a small studio (some call them efficiencies), and the only "amenities" I'm concerned about is the ability to get to a grocery store and do laundry. I don't think that's too-high expectations.

There is no affordable housing for low income seniors. I am on numerous waitlists that range from 3 to five years. I live in California so the cost of living only exacerbates the problem. I have even been rejected because my income was too low? Anyone in a similar situation and is there light at the end of the tunnel other than the ones we hear about in near death experiences?
I think some young people are also finding rents too high. Some seniors are staying at campsites. Some are moving to Mexico- but those rents won’t likely stay as cheap as they are.

Last edited:
My granddaughter researched my preferred target area for relocation then checked www.aplaceformom.com which is an aggregate website for all things senior including information about complexes in my target area. If nothing else try to avoid the red flags involving a senior complex that attempts to rush you or convince you that their apartments are going like hotcakes due to the prevailing renters crush and ask you to send them an apartment hold check. Eliminate every one that refuses your request to stay one night as a guest and prospective resident. If you are invited for a stay or limited time visit ask for permission to be introduced to the support staff and residents and feel free to ask pointed questions. Always research, research and research some more. Senior citizens outreach programs are a great source of accurate nonbiased information about most if not all aspects of the senior living template from independent living to hospice care complexes. When you feel comfortable with your A list, B list and C list possibilities glean the ratings and reviews of your target complexes from senior living apartment websites. Take the complexes own internal ratings and reviews with the proverbial grain of salt. Check, check then check again. Contacting the BBB for information is futile because members have been known to pay for "A" ratings. I hoped this helped, good luck and GOD Bless.

In the small city I live in there are a number of senior living apartment complexes. I say complexes, but they are not as large as what you find in other cities or more affluent areas. Most of them are subsidized (as mine is) and I see ads for applying to some in my Pennysaver every week. I know there is no way any of them would allow a prospective tenant to spend one night in an apartment in advance to see if they like it. If your income goes up (not counting the SS yearly raises) your rent goes up too.

Right now there are two apartments next to me that are being repaired, painted, carpeted and cleaned before they can be rented. Every time a tenant moves out there is a process that they go through. So people on a waiting list must wait till that is completed. When a tenant moves in the apartments are clean and mine was beautiful as well. Looked brand new! It depends on the tenant how long it stays that way. Everyone automatically says or thinks "subsidized housing" is dumpy apartments but just as it is on any street or road, it depends on the people living there how well it is maintained.

I love it. There's all these "programs" for seniors. One has volunteer drivers for seniors. Every government agency from Maine to Alaska has a listing for it. They only problem is the only one volunteer is 150 miles from me.. And I can get on the list for affordable housing, and in 5 years, if I'm not dead, I might get one. There's a lot of "programs" for seniors, but they exist mainly on paper.

I love it. There's all these "programs" for seniors. One has volunteer drivers for seniors. Every government agency from Maine to Alaska has a listing for it. They only problem is the only one volunteer is 150 miles from me.. And I can get on the list for affordable housing, and in 5 years, if I'm not dead, I might get one. There's a lot of "programs" for seniors, but they exist mainly on paper.
So true.

There is no affordable housing for low income seniors. I am on numerous waitlists that range from 3 to five years. I live in California so the cost of living only exacerbates the problem. I have even been rejected because my income was too low? Anyone in a similar situation and is there light at the end of the tunnel other than the ones we hear about in near death experiences?
not that I know of-that is at least understandable.I have looked into extensilvly if you were a really good attroney with years of HUD and senior housing availalbilty in your state ....Maybe....?? however still waiting lists......the folks I have spoken with that lived in those places hate it ...hated the rent hated the managment and lack of ....hated the maintaince .dogs snow nieghbors danger and so on........one place I found run my the methodist I think out of s.dakota...with places all over these folks all loved it......that is in all of kansas city mo and kansas that I checked on ...dozens--

there is a kansas housing resources agency in topkea that has a lot of information a lot and readily available they are helpful but doesnt solve the rent crappy nighborhoods nighborhoods managament etc....and avaialbvlity........of actual living accomodations.......once in a great while you can have a great nieghbor etc but remember they and us are in our final years heealty at the present time or not.

I've heard many bad things about subsidized housing for seniors and others. But the worst thing is the waiting list. My toddler daughter and I were living in an unheated porch, and there was a 2-year waiting list for an apartment.

If you're the kind of person who can apply 2-5 years before you actually need something, good for you. Some people seem to be very good at negotiating the system.

Here in British Columbia there's a rental supplement, but it's pitifully small.

Shared situations can be a nightmare. I was in one that was mostly fine, until disagreements and misunderstandings about Covid procedures made it untenable.

What I did was research rental prices and vacancy rates across most of Canada. I ended up moving to a depressed area where the rents are about a third or a quarter of what they are elsewhere. There are drawbacks, but it's a decent town with shopping and services.

Last edited:

Back