Low sodium, low cholesterol treat?

Patio Life

I'm trying to find things to snack on, treats. That work with the low sodium/low cholesterol diet for my heart. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Avoiding too much cholesterol is easy. Cholesterol is only found in animal foods - meat & dairy. Some people confuse fat with cholesterol. No plant foods have cholesterol, even if they are high in fat - such as nuts & avocado. The fat in those foods is supposed to be beneficial to the heart; it mostly unsaturated fat.
Most of the sodium we get comes from outside the home; not from our salt shakers. Check the labels on processed foods & canned soups; you'll be surprised.

Depends on your tastes. Wife likes popcorn such as Healthy Pop. We both tend to snack on dry cereals like Puffins or Honey Bunches of Oats (which has a bit more sugar). We also like toasted Soy Nuts. You'll have to experiment. We've been doing the healthy, whole grain foods for decades and like them. Most people think a lot of whole grain foods are awful.

I'm trying to find things to snack on, treats. That work with the low sodium/low cholesterol diet for my heart. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

PL, what's going on with your heart that requires low sodium? If it's just hypertension, only 25% or so hypertensive patients are salt sensitive. You can do a trial of several weeks at reduced sodium vs no sodium restriction to see if you fall within that group. If you've got more going on than hypertension such as CHF etc, stick with the sodium restriction.

1566573157403.jpeg & 1566573659966.jpeg

It doesn't sound like much fun but I try to keep celery and carrot sticks in ice water for a crunchy snack.

Sometimes I have them with a tablespoon of salad dressing as a dip.

For me, it's all about the crunch and the chewing exercise that seems to satisfy my need for a snack.

The trick is to have them ready so you can just grab them and go without giving it any thought.

PL, what's going on with your heart that requires low sodium? If it's just hypertension, only 25% or so hypertensive patients are salt sensitive. You can do a trial of several weeks at reduced sodium vs no sodium restriction to see if you fall within that group. If you've got more going on than hypertension such as CHF etc, stick with the sodium restriction.
I had a heart attack a few weeks ago. Have two stents. They want me on a super low cholesterol diet and limit salt to under 1500mg a day. I didn't have high cholesterol or blood pressure to start with, they want my heart to have a vacation for a few months. They want my cholesterol under 50.

I had a heart attack a few weeks ago. Have two stents. They want me on a super low cholesterol diet and limit salt to under 1500mg a day. I didn't have high cholesterol or blood pressure to start with, they want my heart to have a vacation for a few months. They want my cholesterol under 50.

Oh my! Hoping all goes well with recovery. Lots of good suggestions above. Read up on the DASH diet if you haven't already.

Check out the Yonanas dessert maker. It purees frozen fruit so smoothly that you'll swear it's cheating! Bananas make an especially creamy faux ice cream. I think mine was around $30-40 at Walmart.

I snack all day & sometimes part of the night, too. I'm constantly hungry & it doesn't make any difference how much protein or fat I eat. After a meal, I'll be hungry within 1 hour. I'm also cold; I'm comfortable when it's 80 degrees & I don't use the air conditioner in my house unless I have company - even when the house is over 90. It may have something to do with my diabetes, but other diabetics in my support group don't have that problem. Doctor says "Your thyroid is normal." Oh yeah?
Since I can't just grab crackers, cookies or chips, I always have all kinds of raw nuts & almonds in the house. And fruit.

Thanks for all the ideas. I will be using some of them. I will also check out the DASH diet.

Back