Make walking a daily habit

I have been walking every day with a friend. It may sound strange, but we walk inside our apartment building on our hall. It is about 100 ft. long and we do 8 laps so 200 ft each lap. So far, I can't walk any further due to my bad knees. I use a walker when doing it but I am moving and that is the main thing. So it doesn't matter what the weather is like and no getting distracted on the way out. I walk outside too but that is not the same as I stop and chat to people and take pictures.

Low carbs is the thing! Good doctor you have. Keep doing that!

I walk daily - usually 30 minutes minimum. And the walking path is half uphill. It's not only a good low-impact exercise, it also helps use sugar & it's good for my varicose veins. I don't care about the weather. I eliminated ALL excuses by buying special cold & rainy weather clothing from this company:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...=2ahUKEwj1k72cya39AhV5EkQIHQmNC6QQ0Qx6BAgJEAE

And I love it when people's dogs approach me. The park is in the middle of mountains. And in summer, I get to interact with other animals. Here is one I took with me on my walk. He was very friendly & didn't want to let go of me when I released him after an hour: :giggle:
1656270542209.jpeg

Last edited:
I was furloughed during the covid lockdown and had ample time to up my daily walking regimen. At that time I was 64. I walk on fairly level sidewalks. I walked 5 days a week. I got up to 20 miles a day. Did that for about 3 months before cutting back since it was taking about 6 hours. I listen to audiobooks downloaded from the library. One interesting point is that it wasn't very long before I stopped losing any weight even though I continued eating only about 1800 calories a day. I am now retired and looking to get back to it.

I walk my dog an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, I love walking, we take a different route every day. The only downside, it is flat so when we do the hills on the trail I sometimes get out of breath. And it got me through covid without going insane. There is always something to see just around the bend.

Dogs are great walking motivators.
I walk about 45 minutes up to 1 1/2 hours depending on the day ( weather ) and terrain. Sometimes I walk twice depending on the walk. We also walk on different paths to make it more interesting.

Back