Man Bought A Used Couch And Found...…...Inside!!

I had backed into an old marble-topped table next to his chair and it dislodged a loose pile of money that he apparently kept on the wooden crosspiece below the marble slab. I was a nervous wreck because I knew if I didn't get them back into place exactly the way he had hidden them I would never hear the end of it. I did the best I could and neither of us ever mentioned it but I have a feeling that he knew it had been discovered.

So, what happened after he died, did you find the money, did he move it after you found it?

I read about a similar story to the OP's. Someone bought a used dresser and planned to sand it and paint it. He found a manila envelope full of cash attached underneath the bottom drawer. He also found the previous owner and returned it. I don't remember all the details, if he got a reward for his detective efforts of finding the owner. I bet most of those ''previous owners'' didn't even know about the hidden money.

My mom found a $20 bill all scrunched up in a jewelry box she bought at a garage sale. She kept it. People should go thorough and check items before selling them. It's their loss otherwise. I keep money I found on the floor of public places. Cash is a difficult thing to prove ownership. Once I found a $10 bill on the floor of a pharmacy and didn't turn it in. What's to say the clerk would have just kept it? I just hope it wasn't someone prescription co-pay money.

I once found a $20 in my coat pocket and was delighted. Then I realized that it wasn't ''found money'', it was ''forgotten money''. I was not celebrating anymore. 😢

Wow...God bless him! I think it's unconscionable that the family he returned all that money to didn't give him a reward. I certainly would have given him a healthy one and people I talked with said they would have too. After all if he wasn't so honest and kept it, they wouldn't have gotten jack back.

Wow...God bless him! I think it's unconscionable that the family he returned all that money to didn't give him a reward. I certainly would have given him a healthy one and people I talked with said they would have too. After all if he wasn't so honest and kept it, they wouldn't have gotten jack back.
I think I would have kept the money. He had to "research" to find the owner, it's not like a family member or neighbor gifted him the couch. In fact, not only did he not get a reward, he probably even lost the money he paid for the couch (the article doesn't say). And the couch belonged to her grandfather, who probably died and they sold the couch. The money wasn't even hers.

Once you find money stashed someplace in a deceased loves home, it sure slows down the process of cleaning the house out to sell. It also makes you wonder if you found everything that may have been hidden. While cleaning my grandmother's mouse house (lol 🥴) out after she died, my dad found cash hid in books and furniture. If you follow such practices make it known to someone you trust.

Last edited:
Once you find money stashed someplace in a deceased loves home, it sure slows down the process of cleaning the house out to sell. It also makes you wonder if you found everything that may have been hidden. While cleaning my grandmother's mouse out after she died, my dad found cash hid in books and furniture. If you follow such practices make it known to someone you trust.
It makes you wonder why those people have a need not only to hoard cash, but in different places. Could be their fear of burglars finding the stash, but how can they remember all those hiding places? At least pirates had a map with an X. 😉 I've started accumulating cash ever since @Aunt Bea said it was a good practice to keep emergency cash on hand in case of some disruption or other emergency when banks have shut down and only cash can be used. Great idea!

Back