Man in my building arrested for exposing self in a park nearby

Marie5656

Yeah......so there is this. As most know, I live in a seniors only apartment building. Out the windows on my side of the building is a big park, and a fountain/wading pool for kids. Not to mention....the police station is about 500 feet away
So, we started hearing rumblings of an elderly man exposing himself to the kids. And he had done it before. Turns out, he lives HERE! Tenants here are about 90% female. PLUS, while no children live here, most have young grandkids who visit often.
Of course, management needs to stay closed mouthed, as it is still a pending case. BUT we are going to find out if this would be cause for eviction. For safetly of tenants and visiting kids.
Anyone here with a police background..can he be evicted??

I'd say no. The landlord would first have to go to court to have him evicted, win the case, then pay a fee for a law enforcement officer to properly evict him.

If this case is pending, as you say, he is presumed innocent until he is proven guilty. I'm sure your landlord does have their own attorney's and should be advising the landlord what they legally can and cannot do with a tenant in your state. That's why they are keeping closed mouthed about this issue.

@Gemma I suspected as much. There has been one other eviction here, that I know of, and I know it took over a year and several court visits to do it. Thanks for info

A quick review of NY laws lean towards an eviction notice is still required. No notice is required for certain illegal activity, but that would be "On premises" activity, such as drug dealing, prostitution etc.

I do know that men sometimes lose their grip on reality as they age. If there is brain damage due to any reason this can happen. It is the left to the family to make sure that this does not happen. If it happens even once, this person should be placed into care that will keep it from happening again outside of a facility.

It is known to happen on a regular basis in a nursing home. If you have ever had a family member in care you are likely to see some behavior that is not appropriate,

I am sure most men would be horrified by this persons behavior. They would want their wifes, daughters and granddaughters to be protected. If this happening, I would think this person be arrested. He would be placed in jail or a facility for the elderly to protect the public,

Your best bet is to call the local law enforcement agency who is responsible for registering sex offenders who can clarify exactly what restrictions may apply to him. But first, he would have to be convicted of an offense that would cause him to be registered as an offender.

I found the following website for frequently asked questions in NY: New York Sex Offender Registry Frequently Asked Questions

13. Does the law restrict where a sex offender may live? The Sex Offender Registration Act does not restrict where a registered sex offender may live.

If an individual is under parole or probation supervision, state law may limit them from living within 1,000 feet of a school or other facility caring for children. Please see state Executive Law Section 259-c (14) and state Penal Law Section 65.10 (4a, 5, 5-a) for more information. Use this link to access state laws for more information.

I do know that men sometimes lose their grip on reality as they age. If there is brain damage due to any reason this can happen. It is the left to the family to make sure that this does not happen. If it happens even once, this person should be placed into care that will keep it from happening again outside of a facility.

It is known to happen on a regular basis in a nursing home. If you have ever had a family member in care you are likely to see some behavior that is not appropriate,

I am sure most men would be horrified by this persons behavior. They would want their wifes, daughters and granddaughters to be protected. If this happening, I would think this person be arrested. He would be placed in jail or a facility for the elderly to protect the public,
@seadoug, I do not why your respnse is WOW, I lived with this behavior after my husband had brain surgery due to a brain bleed. I also saw this first hand after my Mom was placed into care. It is not a pleasant thing to think about and even harder when you experience it first hand.

My first thought is the man may have dementia. A man in our condo building has lived here for years and always has been appropriate until about a year ago. Now he’s saying sexual things to people and walking into people’s condos if the door is unlocked. Most people have been understanding.

His partner owns the condo and isn’t taking any action to help him. Eventually it will come to a head unfortunately because she’s not being proactive.

My first thought is the man may have dementia. A man in our condo building has lived here for years and always has been appropriate until about a year ago. Now he’s saying sexual things to people and walking into people’s condos if the door is unlocked. Most people have been understanding.

His partner owns the condo and isn’t taking any action to help him. Eventually it will come to a head unfortunately because she’s not being proactive.

someone needs to deal with this, he will end up shot by a neighbor or in jail. If there is a mental health problem if must be taken care of before he gets hurts.

I have seen leases written that read if the person leasing becomes a nuisance, he/she may be evicted. It could be how the lease is written. I know in most states, public lewdness is a misdemeanor, not that it matters, but the landlord has a lot of control how much he will tolerate before asking for an eviction.

The State Police don’t get involved in evictions so I have little knowledge of what it would take to have the person evicted. He can be cited for a violation, which is normally treated as a misdemeanor.

Back