Man Killed by His Own Boobytrapped Front Door.

Mike

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the forums, so
maybe it is a regular occurance.

A man living in Maine beside the Canadian border was
shot and killed by his own front door, he called 911 and
told them what had happened, but he died anyway, this
happened on thanksgiving.

The police were so afraid of the house that they called in
the bomb squad to clear the place which took several hours.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2019/12...by-homemade-booby-trap-on-his-own-front-door/

Sad really, but he should have known about the booby trap,
maybe he had been drinking.

Mike

There aren't many things more stupid than a booby trap in your house. That's why they are illegal in most states. Having been the victim of a theft and an attempted break in while I was home, I can understand the frustration & anger, BUT why aren't these idiots thinking about a fireman or police officer coming into the house in an emergency?

Sounds like we need another "wall" along the Canadian border, so the residents on both sides can relax a bit, although our Canadian friends may need it more than us. I doubt many people are hopping the border to get into this country, at least not from Canada.

I feel for the man, seems he was let down authorities when he complained about theft and burglaries from his property.. when they refused to take any action,

Officers learned that the front door of Cyr’s home was “outfitted with a device designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter the door.”

They discovered “other unknown devices” and subsequently called Maine state police bomb squad.

The agencies investigated Cyr’s home into the early morning hours of 29 November; authorities determined that he was shot “as the result of the unintentional discharge of one of his homemade devices”.

Two people reached by the Guardian, who said they were family members, claimed their brother’s home had long been targeted by burglars and voiced frustration toward authorities.

Mark and Lorraine, who identified themselves as two of Ronald’s siblings, said Ronald had long complained that items such as tools and car painting supplies had gone missing. They alleged that Ronald Cyr complained to authorities, but police treated him “like he was senile”, Mark claimed.

The police department could not be reached for additional comment.

He was afraid,” Mark said. “The cops wouldn’t do nothing so he took matters [into his own hands].”

The pair said Ronald had tried using fences and security cameras to protect his home, but he eventually turned to traps a few years ago.

“We were not in favor of him doing that because he wasn’t used to guns – really, that was not his forte – but he was so frustrated,” Lorraine said.

Fuzzy, could you tell me where you found that news about the Girl Scout? I've been looking for the story and can't find any mention of it.

Booby traps such as these are illegal for good reason, including the two that probably cost the man his life: accidents and the inability of emergency responders to access the premises.

This story falls under the unfortunate category of "If you can't be a shining example you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

Last edited:

Back