Many price tags gone from store shelves

There used to be tags on store shelves indicating the price of the item. They seem to be disappearing from one market. How are you supposed to know how much you're going to have to shell out for something? I inquired at the courtesy desk and was informed that since prices are changing on an almost daily basis, the stock clerks would be spending most of their time replacing the shelf tags, so they are phasing them out. (the tags, not the clerks)

Whaaaa......?

Last edited:
That's ridiculous and I'd think people would not want to shop at a store doing that. The only place I have ever seen that at is small quick mart type store near me. It's about 1/2 alcohol and I rarely stop in but they don't seem to have prices in their cold drink section.

What someone needs to do is get a bunch of stuff, go up to the register and as things are ringed up state "oh 2.79, no I don't want that. 3.50, no too much. I don't want that either. Then buy 3 of the 30 items they took up to the counter. I know that's mean but sounds a bit fun if someone has time to waste.

That's ridiculous and I'd think people would not want to shop at a store doing that. The only place I have ever seen that at is small quick mart type store near me. It's about 1/2 alcohol and I rarely stop in but they don't seem to have prices in their cold drink section.

What someone needs to do is get a bunch of stuff, go up to the register and as things are ringed up state "oh 2.79, no I don't want that. 3.50, no too much. I don't want that either. Then buy 3 of the 30 items they took up to the counter. I know that's mean but sounds a bit fun if someone has time to waste.
Oh, I like that!

There used to be tags on store shelves indicating the price of the item. They seem to be disappearing from one market. How are you supposed to know how much you're going to have to shell out for something
Either gone or marked incorrectly. The stores don't want you to know, especially if prices have risen.

The local hardware store is notorious for having items marked lower than what they are listed in the computer. Gotta keep a close eye on the cashier, not saying they're crooked but they sometimes don't know how to correct an incorrectly charged item.

I would file a complaint with NYS Attorney General. At least that is who I appealed to in New Hampshire when a major local chain & I had a dispute over a sale on butter. Took pics & everything as evidence. Received a written letter of apology from store, and a ton of free butter.

I do that on the occasions I find things are routinely not priced.. I will take it to the checkout and then say it's too expensive it'll have to go back..

Problem with that is then, anything that's too expensive will be left to pile up unwanted at the checkouts.. and there's rarely space for that, so it'll be easier just not to pick them item up in the first place
Stores know that the less time a buyer has to consider a sale, the greater the chances for a sale.

We've got to have the gumption to speak up at the checkout counter. If they ring up a price we don't want to pay, refuse to purchase that item. Or, have them take the time to look up the price first. Hopefully, they will get as sick of this new practice as we are.
Agreed! And if they get snippy, try to ignore that. Because sometimes they can be.

Well, since the trend is to have self checkout counters, the price will come up on the screen, as you scan the product.
Very true but the problem is, if you don't put the item on the shelf area next to the scanner, the thing stops and has you wait for help. There is a "skip bagging" option at some self check that I use for soda, litter etc but it will turn into a mess because you will need the self check out attendant every time.

We've got to have the gumption to speak up at the checkout counter. If they ring up a price we don't want to pay, refuse to purchase that item. Or, have them take the time to look up the price first. Hopefully, they will get as sick of this new practice as we are.
Agreed! And if they get snippy, try to ignore that. Because sometimes they can be.
We have a right to know what we're paying. If they give you any lip, just say, "If you're paying for my groceries, then don't bother to check. Just ring it up!" "But you're not paying and there's no price posted, so I want to know how much these items are before I purchase them. Please look it up. If you have a problem with that, call the manager. "

I notice that in the smaller stores here and have started to see some items without prices in our Supermarkets.
I refuse to buy unpriced items.
I have a bugbear when it comes to fresh fruit and veg stores that do not provide scales for customers to use.
A new one opened up here with no scales. People on a limited budget need to know how much an item is going to cost.
Pricing goods at 3.50/kg, how much is that pumpkin going to cost?

Very true but the problem is, if you don't put the item on the shelf area next to the scanner, the thing stops and has you wait for help. There is a "skip bagging" option at some self check that I use for soda, litter etc but it will turn into a mess because you will need the self check out attendant every time.
I don't use those self checkouts. They barely function, They might be OK when the technology actually works well. But the real reason I don't use them is I get irritated and start beating on them. And judging from the reaction by the store staff, I'm not the only one who does.

Back