Martha Stewart at 81, on Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue

Looks good for sure! However, with expensive plastic surgery or digital photo modification these days, I tend to suspect ALL photos. These days you can make Santa Claus look skinny on a card or maybe Tiny Tim or Twiggy look like the Goodyear blimp! Trust no one!

She used to be a model; she started with the right genes and looks after herself. It probably did take some careful posing to get it just right. I don’t know whether to say good for her or to feel bad because I don’t measure up.

She used to be a model; she started with the right genes and looks after herself. It probably did take some careful posing to get it just right. I don’t know whether to say good for her or to feel bad because I don’t measure up.
Don't feel bad, and I am not sure that you don't "measure up". You probably do. I have always liked people who look... well like normal people. Those who go to heroic lengths as they age to look younger begin to make me a bit uncomfortable. I think its that "uncanny valley" thing... and I think maybe Martha has entered the valley.

Mori_Uncanny_Valley.jpg

Uncanny valley​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

I think she looks great, good for her! Didn't realize she was in her eighties. Must have been fun for her doing those photo shoots. Anyone posing in those magazines have a lot of help from makeup, lighting and whatever they had done over the years, I certainly won't put her down for it.

You're exactly right, she was a model, has good genes and has taken care of herself....all of that adds up. We shouldn't be even giving a thought to measuring up. I'm more than ten years younger, and would never look that good even with makeup, airbrushing, perfect pose and good lighting.....but that's okay. You and I don't need to look like Martha, we still got is goin' on. ;)

Martha does look older, but still beautiful. Old doesn't automatically equal ugly, nor does the reverse.

My fav pic of her during he modeling days..
young-martha-stewart-6.jpg

I have never liked Martha Stewart for some unknown reason and apparently I'm not alone. Her good friend Barbara Walters once asked her during an interview why people don't like her. She looks better than I would have expected on the magazine cover (though I think that top leg looks a little weird) but as @Packerjohn pointed out, it may not be natural. No matter how you slice it though, she looks good for 81.
@RadishRose I never knew she modeled. That is a very lovely picture of her!

I have never liked Martha Stewart for some unknown reason and apparently I'm not alone. Her good friend Barbara Walters once asked her during an interview why people don't like her. She looks better than I would have expected on the magazine cover (though I think that top leg looks a little weird) but as @Packerjohn pointed out, it may not be natural. No matter how you slice it though, she looks good for 81.
@RadishRose I never knew she modeled. That is a very lovely picture of her!
I think that during her TV/magazine days she was so dry and so PERFECT that it was offputting.
I think going to jail started a journey for her and made her more real. Remember the poncho?
After that she seemed to be gaining some humor. I think her daughter probably helped her with her self image.
The snoop dog thing well, that was interesting! 😊
I like the current Martha.

I don't know who Marta Stewart is.. aside from being a cook on US TV.. but I do remember something about her going to prison no long ago..

The first picture and the last picture have different faces.. last picture has been filtered and photo-shopped..

However if someone in their 80's wants to showcase themselves.. even if it's fake.. then that's their prerogative.. and why not....

I think of my granny who was very old when she was 81.. 40 years ago... and would love to know what her views were on an 80 something posing like a 20 year old..

Back