Massachusetts Rebound

WheatenLover

This my second time living in Mass. I lived in Boston for 20 years, before I moved to PA.

So last Thursday, we set out for Mass. We left at 11 a.m., not 7 a.m. as planned. I could have used an extra day in PA, but this has been the case all along. We didn't get out of PA the first day. Made it as far as the Poconos, near Scranton, I think. It was starting to get dark, so time to go to a Comfort Inn. They were wonderful, and took dogs, and the dog behaved (no barking except once). I was surprised.

The next day we started out at 11 again, but planned for 10 a.m. No matter. My son swears the Mass trees are different than the CT trees, so he figured out we were in Mass before we saw the sign. What a talent he has!

Thursday afternoon, the dogs started up. Cousin's 2 mini Aussies kept charging Aidan and barking and growling. They didn't bite or hurt Aidan in any way. Aidan is not used to this response from dogs and was scared. I protected him. Cousin's friend came over. His family has bred and shown purebred dogs for 50 years. He told the male dog to stop doing that to Aidan. And the male dog did! The next day was a lot more peaceful. Only a couple of charge and barks by the female dog.

Saturday, Aidan found his voice. He barked at the other dogs nonstop. By today, they haven't barked at one another at all, but it is early yet. They get along fine. Right now all are asleep on the kitchen floor. If I go in the yard with them, they get along fine.

The smallest dog looks to me for protection from Aidan's barking. It is obvious that the dogs miss having a female around, since Cousin's wife died several years ago. They are very affectionate, and I am careful that Aidan is not around when I return their greetings.

Aidan nipped a home health aide. He has never done this before. She entered a restricted area, which is the kitchen and dining room, and in which I was keeping the dogs sequestered. Aidan rushed her and jumped up and nipped her finger. Not a bite - no broken skin, just a tiny red spot, like a bruise.

The you know what hit the fan. I supplied proof of Aidan's rabies vaccination. Then we found out that the agency didn't do the required criminal records check, and this young woman had just gotten out of a year in prison for a violent attack on another woman, and was on probation, and wore a bracelet. Well, that's no excuse for Aidan's behavior, but we don't know what caused it, especially since it is a first. Also, Aidan had met the woman the day before, and was his usual friendly self.

The latest theory is that he sees them the next day, without anyone near them and thinks they are an intruder. Yesterday, he went after the maid, but knocked over the vacuum and got tangled in the cord. The maid was someone he'd met the day before. She stepped outside, and I took advantage of him being tangled up and captured him. That time he got out of the restricted area by shoving strongly past me and charging into the next room. This was my fault, as far as Aidan getting loose.

Wrangling three dogs is time-consuming. I never had more than one dog at a time, so this is interesting. I look at my day, and between helping my cousin and wrangling dogs, I seem to get very little else done.

Next time: Daily life in the wilds of Mass, so far. There are mice (but not for long). Dogs complicate mouse killing.

This my second time living in Mass. I lived in Boston for 20 years, before I moved to PA.

So last Thursday, we set out for Mass. We left at 11 a.m., not 7 a.m. as planned. I could have used an extra day in PA, but this has been the case all along. We didn't get out of PA the first day. Made it as far as the Poconos, near Scranton, I think. It was starting to get dark, so time to go to a Comfort Inn. They were wonderful, and took dogs, and the dog behaved (no barking except once). I was surprised.

The next day we started out at 11 again, but planned for 10 a.m. No matter. My son swears the Mass trees are different than the CT trees, so he figured out we were in Mass before we saw the sign. What a talent he has!

Thursday afternoon, the dogs started up. Cousin's 2 mini Aussies kept charging Aidan and barking and growling. They didn't bite or hurt Aidan in any way. Aidan is not used to this response from dogs and was scared. I protected him. Cousin's friend came over. His family has bred and shown purebred dogs for 50 years. He told the male dog to stop doing that to Aidan. And the male dog did! The next day was a lot more peaceful. Only a couple of charge and barks by the female dog.

Saturday, Aidan found his voice. He barked at the other dogs nonstop. By today, they haven't barked at one another at all, but it is early yet. They get along fine. Right now all are asleep on the kitchen floor. If I go in the yard with them, they get along fine.

The smallest dog looks to me for protection from Aidan's barking. It is obvious that the dogs miss having a female around, since Cousin's wife died several years ago. They are very affectionate, and I am careful that Aidan is not around when I return their greetings.

Aidan nipped a home health aide. He has never done this before. She entered a restricted area, which is the kitchen and dining room, and in which I was keeping the dogs sequestered. Aidan rushed her and jumped up and nipped her finger. Not a bite - no broken skin, just a tiny red spot, like a bruise.

The you know what hit the fan. I supplied proof of Aidan's rabies vaccination. Then we found out that the agency didn't do the required criminal records check, and this young woman had just gotten out of a year in prison for a violent attack on another woman, and was on probation, and wore a bracelet. Well, that's no excuse for Aidan's behavior, but we don't know what caused it, especially since it is a first. Also, Aidan had met the woman the day before, and was his usual friendly self.

The latest theory is that he sees them the next day, without anyone near them and thinks they are an intruder. Yesterday, he went after the maid, but knocked over the vacuum and got tangled in the cord. The maid was someone he'd met the day before. She stepped outside, and I took advantage of him being tangled up and captured him. That time he got out of the restricted area by shoving strongly past me and charging into the next room. This was my fault, as far as Aidan getting loose.

Wrangling three dogs is time-consuming. I never had more than one dog at a time, so this is interesting. I look at my day, and between helping my cousin and wrangling dogs, I seem to get very little else done.

Next time: Daily life in the wilds of Mass, so far. There are mice (but not for long). Dogs complicate mouse killing.
Well, it takes a little time for humans and dogs alike to settle in. I have baby gates that I use to keep the dogs away from the front door. I also use them to block the dogs in when I have anyone other than family in the house. I only have one that wants to nip or bite at a stranger, a repair person in the house. I always put the other two in with Mr. Cranky Butt as I don't want to make him feel bad.

Aidan needs a while to get settled in his new home and his new dog family. It has been over two years since I took in Mr. Big when his Dad passed. Even now there are squabbles between him and my little boy. Mainly at meal times. Also at bedtime, the two littles sleep on the bed, big boy likes to sleep on the floor on my side of the bed. They throw a fit when big boy comes in the room but once he is on my side of the bed they settle down.

You will settle into a routine soon enough. Everyone will know what to watch for among the pups, just work on their problems one at a time. For instance, right now when treats are handed out maybe Aidan needs to be first to let him know this is home. After a couple of weeks change it up to the new family. That way they all realize we are all loved. I did that and I have no trouble at treat time.

Maybe ask @hollydolly as she has a direct line to a dog whisperer!

Welcome back to Mass. We live on the south coastal area of Mass. Born and lived here all of my life. Sorry that you are having dog problems. We've always had dog and cats but never any biting problems? Our family totals 6 adults (here in the house) and with visiting friends, the dogs are well acclimated to humans and other familiar animals.

Hopefully They'll settle in, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Cousin's friend, the dog whisperer came by yesterday. He thinks, as do I, that the dogs are playing. By now, Aidan would have figured out not to bark at the other dogs if he didn't want to get lunged at. Plus, they chase each other afterward, and Aidan's tail is wagging to beat the band. The other two don't have tails, but their rear ends kind of wiggle. No tails! Maybe if I felt through their fur I'd find a tiny little stub. I think they are getting used to each other. All has been calm since 5:30 a.m.

To bad your cousin's friend the dog whisper isn't in PA.
Some how I feel I'm failing with training Mac.

We live between two roads ,the lower one has more traffic.
The one we live on has faster traffic even though its posted 35 .
So he is on the leash every time we go out.

I've suggested a fence but hubby thinks Mac will dig his way out.
Shock collars are something I don't want to use.

To bad your cousin's friend the dog whisper isn't in PA.
Some how I feel I'm failing with training Mac.

We live between two roads ,the lower one has more traffic.
The one we live on has faster traffic even though its posted 35 .
So he is on the leash every time we go out.

I've suggested a fence but hubby thinks Mac will dig his way out.
Shock collars are something I don't want to use.
If you bury 1' of chicken wire on either side of the fence, your dog will not be able to dig his way out. He will be able to dig down to the chicken wire, so it must be buried shallowly. I'd google this is I were you. It's what I've heard at the dog club works, but you need some verification, other than second hand anecdotal evidence.

The Odoban disinfectant & odor killing spray arrived today. Yay! They have citrus now, which is better than smelling eucalyptus, but not as wonderful as smelling an orange.

I have organized and disinfected the pantry. I am about 75% through the job of cleaning and disinfecting under the sink. Next, there is an entire double upper cabinet with 2 shelves filled with old spices. Once that it is done, I can put more stuff there. Even if the spices were fresh, I don't see how anyone could have a use for all of them.

Currently there is so much stuff on the counter that I can barely find a space to put a plate down. Everything needed is out, since that's the only way Cousin can reach it. Plus 2 crock pots, a big container of flour, and tons of stuff that Cousin very rarely needs. But there is nowhere to put it all. Every space in this house is crammed with stuff, except for the wheelchair paths.

I am concentrating on the kitchen. Once we get done eating our way to room in the freezer (frozen breaded chicken and fish, and hamburgers), I need room to cook.

Simultaneously, I intend to attack the bedrooms. The drawers of the empty dressers need to be cleaned and lined, the bookcase in my room, the same. Mattresses need to be cleaned and disinfected. No one has been upstairs since Cousin's wife died, 5 years ago, and Cousin hasn't been up there in a decade.

We are taking a little trip to Cousin's daughter's house. She has not spoken to him since her mother died (or to anyone in her mother's family). Reason unknown. We are taking all the years of wrapped Christmas and birthday presents to his two grandchildren. I hope we are able to offload them as they numerous and stashed everywhere upstairs. I don't see this visit as being a great idea, but a chance to get rid of extra stuff is too enticing.

My mousetraps will be delivered next week. So much for speedy delivery by Amazon for in-stock items. I will become a mass mouse killer. Not to put too fine a point on it, but every morning I have to wash all the silverware and the container and put new paper towels in the silverware drawer. Apparently it is a mouse convention area. My hating the thought of killing mice days are over. That drawer has already been cleaned and disinfected.

I'm getting some sort of concrete (ready-mix?) to put in holes in the field stone foundation to eradicate some entrances. This work, I will call on one of Cousin's friends to help me with. Luckily, a couple who lives down the street has been good friends with Cousin for decades, and I hit it off with both of them immediately. My house in the country in PA has a rubble stone foundation. Never buy a house with a foundation like that. Mice abound, especially in winter.

This must be a good thing. Every morning I wake up with aching muscles. Today, none, so I will have to step up my activity. I want to walk the dog around the property, which borders on a 600-acre wildlife sanctuary. Cousin is worried we (son, me, dog)will get attacked by a bear, bobcat, or fisher cat. He told me where to find the hidden bear spray. I'm more interested in finding the hidden rifle, but there isn't one.

I went to lunch at the senior center. It was fun. I had met a guy when Cousin and I were out, and he was there, thank goodness. He is a retired chef and opera singer. He sews, plays the piano, violin, and recorder, too. His range is from the highest note to the lowest, which is unusual, I guess. He sang a song to me, at my request, and he is a wonderful singer. He has been legally blind since birth. He is an interesting guy, so we have a lot to talk about. Since he can't drive, we are going on a fabric-hunting expedition since the only place to buy it here is at Walmart. We both have the same feelings about fabrics, a first for me to find someone like that. IOW, it speaks to us and says "I am the one you are looking for!" A person has to look at tons of fabric to find "the one". This expedition likely won't take place until spring because I have so much to do here.

I wear my wedding ring, but I think I better tell him I'm married, and totally unavailable for anything but friendship. Just in case. I think he needs a friend to whom he can talk about his interests ... the people here like him, but they don't seem to have much in common with him. I just like hearing about things I know nothing about.

The lunch was homemade by the volunteer chef, and was really good. Next week, they are having a CBD person from the MA govt to talk about CBD's benefits, a lunch that will be catered. Luckily my son will be going with Cousin, so I don't have to sit through that. They have these lunches twice a week, and breakfast once a week.

every morning I have to wash all the silverware and the container and put new paper towels in the silverware drawer. Apparently it is a mouse convention area. My hating the thought of killing mice days are over. That drawer has already been cleaned and disinfected.

I'm getting some sort of concrete (ready-mix?) to put in holes in the field stone foundation to eradicate some entrances.

Oh this brings back the memories! I wish you lots of success in your upcoming mouse wars.

Are there not any cats to help with rodent control?

I think this is my 12th day here, not counting the day I arrived. I am as busy as a one-armed paper hanger. I have only been on the forums a few times, never long enough to do much because something always interrupts me. I try to type fast, read fast, and to remember to hit like buttons.

I fix breakfast for Cousin and the dogs, refill water bowls and coffee cups. Then what? Trent has hearing problems, which we will address when I near the end of things on my to-do list. Radio comes on, news comes on (via Google), and it is loud. Everything is loud here, except for Son and I, and this includes the dogs. Cousin's dogs have a higher-pitched bark. Aidan sounds like a gigantic dog when he barks -- so 1 baritone and 2 tenors.

Mostly I do chores, tell Cousin to find a way to make a list (his right hand is nearly paralyzed) so he will stop tellling me what needs to be done. You guys think I talk a lot, but I don't. My cousin is literally the talkiest person I know. I knew that. I did.

I will take some pictures. I think today is supposed to be sunny. I want to show you Cousin's dogs. They are well-trained and have tons of ribbons in obedience, agility, and tons of other stuff. The girl, Tika, is super affectionate. She definitely misses Cousin's wife, who used to shower her with attention. The male, Arlo, is a more sedate affection seeker. I like them both, but secretly prefer Arlo. I have to make sure Aidan eats. Arlo is especially good at eating his food, and then the other dog's food. The quick or the dead, is his motto.

Amazon will finally deliver the 6 mouse traps on Saturday. Then I will likely order more. I think the biggest problem is that there are 2 open trash cans in one of the lower cabinets. I will tackle the problem of getting Cousin to let me put cans with lids on them that dogs and mice can't get into. This is harder than you think. Cousin will say that he can't throw away trash in a can with a foot pedal. This is true. BUT I am the one throwing away the trash, and if I ever leave, even for a day, I will put a mousey trash can back in the cabinet.

Thank heavens fall hasn't arrived yet. I'm not ready for the leaves to turn, which too soon results in a barren landscape to look at.

Cousin wants to do as much as he can for himself. Really, I don't know how he lived here alone without help. Because of the MS, he has spasms and his feet fall off the foot rests on the wheelchair. He cannot put them back; I do it. He cannot walk at all.

His right hand is nearly fully paralyzed. He's taken up drumming to try to get it to work again, and he's actually having success. He can see progress. These drums are more or less silent. He has been a drummer most of his life.

Meanwhile, I am his scribe.

We are almost done eating the food in the freezer. I hope this happens soon because meals are boring. Last night I cooked nearly all the Chinese pre-made food in the freezer. I served shrimp fried rice, beef & broccoli, pork dumplings, mixed veg, and corn chowder for dinner. All from the freezer.It is my goal to make meals with real food soon.

@ Wheatenlover,, you have your work cut out with the mice,, good luck .
If you find where they are getting in, inside the house.
Stuff coarse steel wool in the hole then spray over it with that spray insulation foam.
I think there may even be spray insulation that is supposed to repel rodents. :unsure:

Almost forgot son has terrible problem with mice coming into his garage, house , RV.
He was using peppermint oil to discourage them.

As for your cousin's hands,, does he do finger exercises too,, stretches?
How about the wrist for carpal tunnel?
Check online & suggest new ones for him.

Oh this brings back the memories! I wish you lots of success in your upcoming mouse wars.

Are there not any cats to help with rodent control?
No cats. Rodent control will work just fine, once those darned traps arrive from Amazon.

One reason I got a Wheaten is that they are good mousers. However, Aidan has only caught one mouse in his 11.5 years. He tries, but they are quicker than he is.

@ Wheatenlover,, you have your work cut out with the mice,, good luck .
If you find where they are getting in, inside the house.
Stuff coarse steel wool in the hole then spray over it with that spray insulation foam.
I think there may even be spray insulation that is supposed to repel rodents. :unsure:

Almost forgot son has terrible problem with mice coming into his garage, house , RV.
He was using peppermint oil to discourage them.

As for your cousin's hands,, does he do finger exercises too,, stretches?
How about the wrist for carpal tunnel?
Check online & suggest new ones for him.
Okay. Yes he does finger exercises, and I'll tell him to check out new ideas. He goes online, it just takes him longer to accomplish things.

I had a bad mouse problem in my prior home. One month I got 17 in my pantry! I had three cats but the reason they couldn't get them all was due to clutter blocking them from catching them. They got a lot outside. The pantry was closed off from the kitchen so hard for a cat to get those. It got so bad I had to put a trap on my stove when I finished in the kitchen. Not even a half hour later the trap would snap and I'd have one.

We had to remove all the walls and ceilings because they were living inside of them. My husband removed the living room wall ceiling and all of a sudden cat food rained out of the ceiling onto the floor! They had been swiping cat and dog food out of the dishes that I left out for them. Not good to leave any in an open dish. The wood traps worked best but we could not keep up. At times we might go two years with barely any but then they'd be back. Loads of firewood from a logger would bring even more back in. Good luck!

I love your diary!

Back