Meatloaf - MY way.

applecruncher

SF VIP
Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

I start with about 2 lb ground chuck - 80% lean (90% is a little better).
Set the meat aside.

Toast 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, take out of the toaster, butter it and sprinkle some garlic powder on it, then toast it again so that it will get dark and hard.

In a large mixing bowl, cut up 1/2 green pepper into very small pieces.
Do the same with a small onion (or half a large onion).

Toss in a handful of oatmeal - old fashioned, whole grain.
If you have some leftover crackers or crumbs at bottom of potato chip bag, also toss those in.

Mix in the ground chuck.

Crumble up the toast and toss in.

Add 1/2 small can of tomato sauce.

Get your hands in there and mix everything.

Add salt, pepper, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and a ew squirts of ketchup.

Put in a baking pan and shape into a lag or whatever you like. Remember you're also gonna make meatloaf sandwiches later in the week. :)

Squirt a few lines of ketchup on top.

BAKE for an hour - maybe an hour 15 minutes. (However, check every 20 minutes or so and use a turkey baster to drain off the grease/liquid from sides of baking pan. Tilt the pan as you do this.

How this works for you....or you can modify to your taste.

Sounds good, apple. Will have to try your recipe. My husband got me started putting the ketchup on top. I knew people did, but had never tried it before he suggested it.

Yummy; I love meatloaf. I use 1 lb ground chuck and 1 lb ground pork. I also saute chopped onion and bell pepper, use saltine crackers as the "binder", a beaten egg, worchestershire, tomato sauce and about 1/2 cup milk. Shape into loaf, top with strips of bacon and bake.

Is there any wrong way to do a meatloaf.....I doubt it :) Any way is a good way.

Who else adds a few carrot rounds and diced potatoes around the loaf while it is roasting? A meal in one dish.

Degrease about 15 min before done, add a large can of Italian style tomato drained and squished a bit and a handful or three of frozen peas all around, a bit of salt and finish till hot. Goes nice with the bacon.

I have yet to eat a meatloaf I didn't like

I am a bit picky about my meats, however

If I'm having beef, it's gotta be just beef
same with other meats

However, the term 'meatloaf' opens the door to most anything

Nice recipes, bacon and all

We had a lot of meatloaf as a kid
different recipe every time (leftovers, ketchup and hamburger)

Hungry now

From the heading I thought was a clip of a new version of Frank Sinatra`s song "My Way" by Meatloaf??.....silly me!

I don't top my meatloaf with ketchup, I have always used a can of tomato soup, mustard and brown sugar. Just mixed to taste. Slather it on the last 15 minutes. Something passed down from my grandmother.

I don't top my meatloaf with ketchup, I have always used a can of tomato soup, mustard and brown sugar. Just mixed to taste. Slather it on the last 15 minutes. Something passed down from my grandmother.

Sounds delicious, Seeker. What time is dinner? What should I bring? :)

Darn, I forgot to get horseradish. :(

Still time, not making meatloaf until Sunday. Definitely gonna add a few bacon strips. Also trying tomato paste instead of sauce. I only have a few drops of worchestershire. Thinking of tossing in a dollop of BBQ sauce just to see how that works.

Some like to add an egg, but I don't unless I have a LOT of breading/croutons.

Ready for the oven:

mail

Back