Medicare supplement going up in price in the middle of the year???

Oldguy

My wife went on Medicare at the beginning of 2023 (January 2023). She is on straight medicare with an AARP UnitedHealthcare Supplemental plan added on.
She got a letter today that the supplemental plan cost is going up in June 2023.

I thought this supplemental plan was an annual year to year thing, meaning the price would stay the same all year, not jump up in price after 5 months. The letter shows their ( AARP) monthly household payment starting June 2023 through May 2024 (seemingly to be annual on someone else's schedule).

So, any ideas about this?

My neighbor just complained about the same thing so he called his insurance company. They told him they will generally raise the rate once per year and it will be on the month of his birthday or the month when his contract was started. In his case, it was the month of his birthday. I think he had Mutual of Omaha.

You're not going to believe it, but I just got my automobile insurance bill and IT WENT DOWN! Not by a lot, but it did go down. I'm sure my Medicare Supplement bill will go up, though, and we're dreading the homeowner's insurance bill because people's policies are going up by up to 40% around here, because of the last hurricane.

So, my wife called UHC - their excuse was that everyone on a supplement in FLORIDA will have the same increase at the same time (stated that June to May was Florida fiscal year....which it isn't...according to Fl insurance web site, it's July to June ).

Unfortunately, everything I've told her to do she doesn't want to do (call Fl insurance board, call local news, call state representative).

So, anyone on straight Medicare with a supplement IN FLORIDA, would love to hear from you.

i am on UnitedHealthCare and I didn't get any notification the price was increasing. Maybe it's just Florida. I have to get off that insurance during open season because I moved and it doesn't cover the closest hospital to me.

Back