Medusa is a misunderstood creature. (The Greek Mythological one, not me.)

Hi Medusa, and welcome.

Medusae are plentiful in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef and in the rock pools around Sydney

Hello Warrigal and thank you so much for the beautiful picture and the new information! I looked this up at: https://australian.museum/learn/animals/jellyfish/ and was fascinated to find the "jellyfish" are also referred to as Medusae. It makes sense, given their snake-like, stinging tenticles and Medusa's snakes and stare.

At least though, the Medusae get some company on occasions, i.e. "Nemo." LOL

Thanks again. :) (Wait, that was an anemone, but same family. See, what I learned because of you?)

Hello,

I've just joined a few moments ago and I have to say I was intimidated by the "write something meaningful..." instruction in the title line. :/

I usually don't write introductions because, who remembers these things?

I'm 57, married for 32 years, have three children and a Boxer. Hobbies and interests include language, reading, some writing, yoga, sewing, audio books, "active reading," and good discussion. :)

I'm looking forward to getting to know the people here.
Welcome Medusa! Cool name. :)

This is a really good book I read a few weeks ago:

View attachment 201741

Highly recommended.
As you can imagine, the title intrigued me. So I checked the synop. on Goodreads and it does seem potentially enlightening and worth a read. I also listened to a sample on Audible.com and have it now on my Wish List. Thank you for the recommendation. :)

For the benefit of peeps here:

"A fresh cultural analysis of female monsters from Greek mythology, and an invitation for all women to reclaim these stories as inspiration for a more wild, more "monstrous" version of feminism

The folklore that has shaped our dominant culture teems with frightening female creatures. In our language, in our stories (many written by men), we underline the idea that women who step out of bounds--who are angry or greedy or ambitious, who are overtly sexual or not sexy enough--aren't just outside the norm. They're unnatural. Monstrous. But maybe, the traits we've been told make us dangerous and undesirable are actually our greatest strengths.
"

That's the first part of the synop. from GoodReads.com. I usually don't read entire synopses because they sometimes just tell the entire fracking story and I lose interest in bothering with the book.

If/when I read this one, I'll let you know what I think, if you're interested. :) Thanks again.

As you can imagine, the title intrigued me. So I checked the synop. on Goodreads and it does seem potentially enlightening and worth a read. I also listened to a sample on Audible.com and have it now on my Wish List. Thank you for the recommendation. :)

For the benefit of peeps here:

"A fresh cultural analysis of female monsters from Greek mythology, and an invitation for all women to reclaim these stories as inspiration for a more wild, more "monstrous" version of feminism

The folklore that has shaped our dominant culture teems with frightening female creatures. In our language, in our stories (many written by men), we underline the idea that women who step out of bounds--who are angry or greedy or ambitious, who are overtly sexual or not sexy enough--aren't just outside the norm. They're unnatural. Monstrous. But maybe, the traits we've been told make us dangerous and undesirable are actually our greatest strengths.
"

That's the first part of the synop. from GoodReads.com. I usually don't read entire synopses because they sometimes just tell the entire fracking story and I lose interest in bothering with the book.

If/when I read this one, I'll let you know what I think, if you're interested. :) Thanks again.
You're very welcome; hope you enjoy it.

Hi @Medusa!

full

LOL

Hello and thank you for the smile.

Actually, would you believe it if I told you I have always had a rep. for a laser-like glare when I'm angry.

You've just made that connection for me as I hadn't thought about it. Of note, my daughter has the same "scary" glare.

Huh.
I'm scared......very scared.....gulp.....😊

Welcome Medusa, I could do with some lessons in "stony"glares. By the way, you cannot rewrite Greek mythology. Homer came before Ovid, so Homid's version IMO stands!
Thank you, Shero. :)

I respectfully disagree; Greek Mythology absolutely can, and in fact was rewritten, in this case, by Hesiod, Homer, Pindar and Herodutus, before Ovid. Although, Hesiod and Homer's versions are generally the same as they lived at the same time.

The point being that there are several versions of Medusa's story spanning across acient times.

Medusa's story is just that, a story which, like so many stories, could be and was written several times. Ovid's is simply the one I prefer.

Heck, we're talking about mythological stories being rewritten when history itself has been rewritten to suit the writers. What's that saying... something like, "History is written by the victors?" Something like that.

That said, I respect your opinion and your choice of Homer's version.

And thanks again, for the welcome. (and the fun conversation. :)

I'm so glad you haven't got snakes on your head Medusa, well, you'd have to give them all names, wouldn't you, and me, I'd never remember them all. Love the thread. 😊

I'm so glad you haven't got snakes on your head Medusa, well, you'd have to give them all names, wouldn't you, and me, I'd never remember them all. Love the thread. 😊
Maybe I could give them a team name... like The Venom Vengence. Um, The Hissing Hoard... My Precious Babies. LOL
Hair washing day can be a bit of a pain, though.

Maybe I could give them a team name... like The Venom Vengence. Um, The Hissing Hoard... My Precious Babies. LOL
Hair washing day can be a bit of a pain, though.
Or even, when showing someone your appreciation, a Fousand Fangs. 😊

This is a really good book I read a few weeks ago:

View attachment 201741

Highly recommended.
Hey, I wanted to thank you again for the recommendation of this book. I have been listening to it in small increments (as it's one of those "really take it in"), books for me.
You may have noticed my tagline is now a quote from it.
Enjoying it very much and have recommended it to my daughter. Thanks again. :giggle:

Hey, I wanted to thank you again for the recommendation of this book. I have been listening to it in small increments (as it's one of those "really take it in"), books for me.
You may have noticed my tagline is now a quote from it.
Enjoying it very much and have recommended it to my daughter. Thanks again. :giggle:
You're very welcome! ❤️

Back