Member locations

StarSong

Awkward is my Superpower
I could swear that I read something saying new members would be required to post their geographic locations, but I'm not seeing that in new posts.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or did the membership settings get changed?

Thanks!

p.s. I find it very helpful to know various members' general geographic areas - it adds context to their posts.

Well, I am in Utah but since no once cares about Utah or has heard of Utah or wants to go to Utah, I feel my location is of no value at all. šŸ¤£
My oldest friend lives in Utah. I have a good time when visiting him there. We go to the mountains or camp in the desert.

Contrast that to where I live in a very small town in the corner of Iowa that doesn't have a store or even a gas station. When my aforementioned friend came for a visit. and keep in mind I hadn't seen him in person for nearly 10 years at that point-- I opened the door and was greeted with not even a hello, but, "Why the hell would someone want to live here?! There's nothing here".

For the record: I'm in the southwestern corner of Iowa.

Just reread some of these threads... turns out it was gender that needs to be specified, not location.

But since I brought it up, if anyone is taking a survey I'm squarely in favor of requiring members to indicate their general location. Even if it's within 1000 miles.
yes I think a country would probably be ok if no-one wanted to put a specific location... it helps with the different ways we express ourselves..

I could swear that I read something saying new members would be required to post their geographic locations, but I'm not seeing that in new posts.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or did the membership settings get changed?

Thanks!

p.s. I find it very helpful to know various members' general geographic areas - it adds context to their posts.
No, it's never been the policy here to require any member locations, you might have read someone wanting it to be required. Any information offered in the member's profile is completely voluntary. Not everyone wants to post their exact location, some choose to add it once they feel comfortable in the community or just mention it in posts when appropriate.

Back