Memorial Day 2020

RadishRose

SF VIP
memorial_day.jpg

This U.S. federal holiday is observed on the last Monday of May to honor the men and women who have died while serving in the military. In 2020, Memorial Day will be observed on Monday, May 25.

• Memorial Day commemorates the men and women who died while in the military service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. In other words, the purpose of Memorial Day is to memorialize the veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. We spend time remembering those who lost their lives and could not come home, reflecting on their service and why we have the luxury and freedom that we enjoy today. We might consider how we can support and safeguard their grieving families and loved ones who are left behind.
  • Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALL who served—in wartime or peacetime—regardless of whether they died or survived. Veterans Day is always observed officially on November 11, regardless of the day of the week on which it falls. Read more about Veterans Day.
poppy-2989645_1920_full_width.jpg

“In Flanders Fields”

by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Not every year, but at least every other year, I go down to Arlington Cemetery (2 hour drive) for the service and to tour the cemetery. I have two friends buried there and I go to their grave and pay my respect. Today, is a really nice, sunny day. It would have been nice to have gone down there, but with the virus still active, I decided to bag the trip this year.

They go all-out ceremony with the wreath laying and the band. It’s quite emotional. We sometimes also go over to Quantico to walk around and visit the memorials. It’s all very moving. I especially enjoy the Marine Corps Band. There is also a really nice amphitheater.

Arlington

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them." -
Robert Laurence Binyon

images
This picture replicates how Arlington Cemetery looks after the “Old Guard” places all the flags. Arlington is closed this weekend due to, what else, but the virus, however, if you want to see the Cemetery and the service, I recommend to sign up early. I have seen a few Presidents at these ceremonies address the observers. Get your ticket early. It will be worth the 15 bucks. I think that’s the charge.

memorial_day.jpg

This U.S. federal holiday is observed on the last Monday of May to honor the men and women who have died while serving in the military. In 2020, Memorial Day will be observed on Monday, May 25.

• Memorial Day commemorates the men and women who died while in the military service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. In other words, the purpose of Memorial Day is to memorialize the veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. We spend time remembering those who lost their lives and could not come home, reflecting on their service and why we have the luxury and freedom that we enjoy today. We might consider how we can support and safeguard their grieving families and loved ones who are left behind.
  • Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALL who served—in wartime or peacetime—regardless of whether they died or survived. Veterans Day is always observed officially on November 11, regardless of the day of the week on which it falls. Read more about Veterans Day.
poppy-2989645_1920_full_width.jpg

“In Flanders Fields”

by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Thanks for posting this, RadishRose - I didn't see your Holiday forum post before posting similar to Current Events. I 'reported' myself and asked them to put those posts here. I apologize.

I have an uncle buried at Arlington....never knew him...I was just a toddler during WWII. I also have two old high school friends whose names are on the VietNam Memorial. We have visited Washington 3 or 4 times, over the years, and it is a wonderful experience touring all the monuments and historical sites. I just finished watching the wreath laying ceremony on TV....we did attend one of the "changing of the guards" ceremonies there, several years ago....very impressive.

Back