Met someone, is it real or is it a catfisher

MickaC

Once again, taken by surprise.
Someone knocking on the door to my heart.
Is this really supposed to happen in real life.
I guess i've stepped up a bit.......
He's an ortho doctor......works for the UN......practices in overseas countries.
He's presently in Yaman, Germany......returns back to his home in Ontario, Canada, this month.
Have been communicating for the last two weeks.

So......what's wrong with me.

He's an ortho doctor......works for the UN......practices in overseas countries.
He's presently in Yaman, Germany......returns back to his home in Ontario, Canada, this month.

hang on...have I missed something.. wasn't it you who had the truck driver friend... or am I getting you mixed up with someone else ?:unsure:

Congratulations, but please be careful!
dog-internet.jpg

“Follow your heart but take your brain with you.” - Alfred Adler

There is nothing wrong with you . . . However, I had a similar experience that may or may not be authentic in relation to you. First of all, consider where you met this new love. I suspect it was on a dating site. Please correct me along the way if I am wrong.

The man I met was on a dating site. I was head over heals. He told me he was vascular surgeon and "general doctor" in Syria on a 2 year UN contract that would be ending in April 2022. He is very good looking and I decided to share his photo with a good friend of mine who lives out of state.

She contacted a friend of hers and sent the picture along. Her friend contacted a similar site that I use called "Social Catfish" and they scanned the photo. (anyone can do this). All you do it right click the photo and select "Copy" and follow the simple directions by clicking on the picture and entering it in the box provided on Social Catfish. Likely if they are a fraud up to dozens of photos will pop up.
Dozens of photos came up on my man which indicated catfish.

I was shocked but not heartbroken. After all, I had "known" him only a very short time,
When you confront them they will vehemently deny it. They will start with all the pretty words they know got to your heart and caught you. They will have you believing that they were hacked, scammed, taken advantage of and the like. Don't listen it is a scam. Most importantly, do not send money in any form to this person or persons.

Many will post on a site that they are "animal lovers", and that they are widowed.

As hurtful as this could be to you, please take your man's photo many of them if you can and check out one of the Catfish fraud sites and follow the instructions. In the long run, you will not be sorry.
If your man does not come on the catfish site, it is not a guarantee.
The other thing I did with my new man is have him take a photo or scan of the front and back of a current driver's license and send the pics to you. This will offer you some protection and the genuine man will comply.

If he is anywhere near authentic, he will respect your efforts to protect yourself. I don't want to burst your bubble or hurt your heart but please check any man wanting a relationship with you this way.
Please , please, protect yourself. I know emotions are running high but you will find the right guy.

There are many of these scammers out there with enticing stories of who they are and what they are doing.
Before I left the site I was on, those interested in me had pictures attached to their profile. Two of them I checked out I reported and they were immediately removed from the dating site within seconds. The dating site will use there investigative tools to confirm.
Questions are welcome. PM me if you would like. Best of luck to you.💓:)

Last edited:
After reading the post by IFortuna, I'm really glad I found people to date (years ago) the "old fashioned" way. Dating sounds really complicated nowadays. And unsafe. Dating used to be fun.
Meeting someone in person is no guarantee either. You need to check them out on one of the crime or identity search sites to even see if their name is authentic and go from there. If you are seriously concerned, give the photo to the police and tell them of your concerns. It is easy to fall for someone who gives us "love" and attention. Always be careful and check out your man. If you can take pics of his DL back and front and back along with other reports, do so and give copies to family members. Also, if they are isolating you or not sharing you with family and friends, this is one big red flag. If they are asking for money, don't give it. It may start out small and the amount will grow over time.
This advice is for men as well who often get taken too. This is your life we are talking about. :) 💓

There is nothing wrong with you . . . However, I had a similar experience that may or may not be authentic in relation to you. First of all, consider where you met this new love. I suspect it was on a dating site. Please correct me along the way if I am wrong.

The man I met was on a dating site. I was head over heals. He told me he was vascular surgeon and "general doctor" in Syria on a 2 year UN contract that would be ending in April 2022. He is very good looking and I decided to share his photo with a good friend of mine who lives out of state.

She contacted a friend of hers and sent the picture along. Her friend contacted a similar site that I use called "Social Catfish" and they scanned the photo. (anyone can do this). All you do it right click the photo and select "Copy" and follow the simple directions by clicking on the picture and entering it in the box provided on Social Catfish. Likely if they are a fraud up to dozens of photos will pop up.
Dozens of photos came up on my man which indicated catfish.

I was shocked but not heartbroken. After all, I had "known" him only a very short time,
When you confront them they will vehemently deny it. They will start with all the pretty words they know got to your heart and caught you. They will have you believing that they were hacked, scammed, taken advantage of and the like. Don't listen it is a scam. Most importantly, do not send money in any form to this person or persons.

Many will post on a site that they are "animal lovers", and that they are widowed.

As hurtful as this could be to you, please take your man's photo many of them if you can and check out one of the Catfish fraud sites and follow the instructions. In the long run, you will not be sorry.
If your man does not come on the catfish site, it is not a guarantee.
The other thing I did with my new man is have him take a photo or scan of the front and back of a current driver's license and send the pics to you. This will offer you some protection and the genuine man will comply.

If he is anywhere near authentic, he will respect your efforts to protect yourself. I don't want to burst your bubble or hurt your heart but please check any man wanting a relationship with you this way.
Please , please, protect yourself. I know emotions are running high but you will find the right guy.

There are many of these scammers out there with enticing stories of who they are and what they are doing.
Before I left the site I was on, those interested in me had pictures attached to their profile. Two of them I checked out I reported and they were immediately removed from the dating site within seconds. The dating site will use there investigative tools to confirm.
Questions are welcome. PM me if you would like. Best of luck to you.💓:)
BIG THANKS IFortuna.
This is something i never heard of before......this is very valuable advice.....i going to try that.....as you say.....safety is the best policy.
May take you up on your PM offer....Thanks again.

If I were you I would Google, "Dangers of Internet Dating." The 1st really red flag is someone asking you for money before you even meet this person. Don't believe any "hardluck" stories. I met this lady who claimed to be a retired lawyer. She invited me for a drink. I told her I "don't drink and drive." Goodby retired lawyer and good riddance! They say there's more fish in the sea where that one came from!

MickaC,

Doesn't this sound a little too good? The only thing missing is being an Arabic prince. Why do I get the feeling he's going to have problems transferring his millions in German marks to Canadian dollars, but all he needs is a few thousand for a lawyer?
Open your heart, but hide your purse.

s this really supposed to happen in real life.

Nothing wrong with you.
But how do you know that any of those things are actually true about this person or group that is interacting with you?

This is not usually the way things happen in real life, to answer your question, in my experience, dear Micka.:confused:
There are ways to check out some of the info they gave you,

and you should either: simply forget about this one, which is extremely likely to be a fish line, with motives very different from yours....
OR, find multiple ways of checking this out further, before you give ANY personal info about yourself, please!

The simplest way to check at least something, is to put their info into a search engine, and see what comes up,
Or if they sent you any pictures, to right click on it, and let the Web search for each picture online, and see where they might have gotten it, in order to use on you, and on others.

You could also search the Internet for orthopedic doctors in Ontario, and see if you can go to a hospital's website, to see if that name is listed, and if any of the info given you, or pictures sent to you, match.

I wish this was for real. But that is very unlikely, and at the least, you should not assume it is, friend.

Last edited:
Even when we meet someone in real life, where there are a lot more ways to help you to figure out if it's a real person being truthful or not,

we should still want to know them a lot longer than a month, before we conclude anything. (Unless you know other trusted people, who know them)

And even if you met them locally, instead of an online thing telling you a story, you could still check out if things they tell you are true or not...

(such as, are there even any Ortho doctors in Ontario who do those trips; If so, it would be included in their professional Bio, as would family info, schooling, and usually a Photo.)

It is my view that you are feeling your own capacity to love, which is a wonderful thing,

but at this time, those feelings probably have nothing to do with what someone or some group, can write to you online.
Sorry, Micka, but I would really not give my heart, until you have much more info, and much more verification of that info about it. 💌💌💌💌💌

If it turns out to be a real person, and an honest one, and one that is good for you, then they still will be, after you have been more cautious and careful, for a more lengthy time. And they wouldn't mind that.

If I were you I would Google, "Dangers of Internet Dating." The 1st really red flag is someone asking you for money before you even meet this person. Don't believe any "hardluck" stories. I met this lady who claimed to be a retired lawyer. She invited me for a drink. I told her I "don't drink and drive." Goodby retired lawyer and good riddance! They say there's more fish in the sea where that one came from!
Yeah POF! Catfish can be reported and should be. Any legit dating site will remove them literally in a flash! :)

I guess you're behind the times.
I posted under ....there are no guarantees.....in family and relationships, back in October.
That endeavour failed.
And so, Try, try again.

I was single for decades after my only divorce, and dated a LOT; was in several relationships, none worked out. I finally just gave up on an actual relationship about 10 or 12 years ago.

And then, bam! One fine afternoon a neighbor named Michelle swatted me on the my behind while I was getting my mail, and several months later, we got married. Our 1st anniversary is coming up this summer.

Back