Military Slang Questions

That is not correct. The French word "petit" means little and all of its derivatives such as small, short, or in a sentence "in a second", "shortly", etc. Two reasons why American soldiers thought the expression was "TT" is because 1). Americans didn't speak or understand French and 2). although most schooled Vietnamese (at that time) could speak French many could not pronounce the words properly. So ... Americans arrived assuming that the badly enunciated Vietnamese-French expression "petit" sounded like "TT" and so Americans assumed it was a Vietnamese word.

BTW: I am a Vietnam Veteran.
Calm down. I am not arguing with you. I simply said that we used the term "TT" and I told you how we used it. I do not speak or understand French and neither did most of the guys I knew there. So I was not intending at all to grapple about what you were saying about the French word, but instead simply stating the term we used and how it was used by us.

At least at the end of your diatribe, you admitted that the term was used, however incorrectly. How a simple post such as I made gets blown up into such a big deal is one of the irritating mysteries of forums. We can stop now. Also, I never questioned that you were a Vietnam veteran. Odd how some react to each other here. Disappointing to say the least. At the VA, we seem to have much more respect for each other, so I will be VERY careful which sub-forums I visit here. I am sorry it worked out this way. So calm down and move along, there is nothing more to fight about here.

Tony

Last edited:
Calm down. I am not arguing with you. I simply said that we used the term "TT" and I told you how we used it. I do not speak or understand French and neither did most of the guys I knew there. So I was not intending at all to grapple about what you were saying about the French word, but instead simply stating the term we used and how it was used by us.

At least at the end of your diatribe, you admitted that the term was used, however incorrectly. How a simple post such as I made gets blown up into such a big deal is one of the irritating mysteries of forums. We can stop now. Also, I never questioned that you were a Vietnam veteran. Odd how some react to each other here. Disappointing to say the least. At the VA, we seem to have much more respect for each other, so I will be VERY careful which sub-forums I visit here. I am sorry it worked out this way. So calm down and move along, there is nothing more to fight about here.

Tony
I don't see a "big deal" or "a lack of respect". Your frustration is imagined and unilateral.

Do you use "petit jury" in English? I didn't know that.

2939.04 Compensation - prohibition of repeated service in same term.

The compensation of grand jurors shall be fixed by resolution of the board of county commissioners, not to exceed forty dollars for each day's attendance, payable out of the county treasury. Except in counties of less than one hundred thousand population according to the last federal census, in which counties the judge of the court of common pleas shall make rules in the judge's own county applicable to subsequent grand juror and petit juror service, a person who has served as a grand juror at a term of court is prohibited from serving again, either as a grand juror or petit juror in that jury year in which the service is rendered or in the next jury year. The person is entitled to a certificate of excuse or postponement in the same manner as a petit juror. The court of common pleas may order the drawing of a special jury to sit at any time public business requires it.

2939.04 Compensation - prohibition of repeated service in same term.

The compensation of grand jurors shall be fixed by resolution of the board of county commissioners, not to exceed forty dollars for each day's attendance, payable out of the county treasury. Except in counties of less than one hundred thousand population according to the last federal census, in which counties the judge of the court of common pleas shall make rules in the judge's own county applicable to subsequent grand juror and petit juror service, a person who has served as a grand juror at a term of court is prohibited from serving again, either as a grand juror or petit juror in that jury year in which the service is rendered or in the next jury year. The person is entitled to a certificate of excuse or postponement in the same manner as a petit juror. The court of common pleas may order the drawing of a special jury to sit at any time public business requires it.
Amazing. I never knew that. Thank you. I guess it's one of those borrowed legal or semi-legal terms such as "force majeure" "par avion" and "modus operandi".

Amazing. I never knew that. Thank you. I guess it's one of those borrowed legal or semi-legal terms such as "force majeure" "par avion" and "modus operandi".
You are welcome. How about "Corpus Delicti", or "The body of the crime". This does not refer to a human body as some might think.

You are welcome. How about "Corpus Delicti", or "The body of the crime". This does not refer to a human body as some might think.
I've heard of it but I had to look it up just now to see what it means. Anyway, I was pretty sure it didn't mean a woman with a luscious body.

Back