Mincemeat pies

If you are willing to start from scratch this is an old fashioned one pie recipe for mincemeat.

Quick Mincemeat Pie from Mary C. Taylor, Lubec Maine

½ cup freshly minced beef
1 ½ cups chopped apple
½ cup seedless raisins
2 T butter
½ t salt
½ t cinnamon
¼ t cloves
1 T molasses
2/3 cup sugar
2 T water
1 T apple cider vinegar

Mix together the ingredients as listed and spread in a pastry-lined tin. Place a crust on the top and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes; then turn down to 350 degrees and bake until the center of the pie is well cooked for about 45 minutes.

British, American, Swedish, German, Canadian ....
I still don’t like it. I didn’t know it actually had meet in it. For some reason I thought it was called that since it was often made with lard. 🤢

I have always loved mincemeat pies, and my grandmother Bailey made the best homemade mincemeat. Since hunting season was in the fall, and we always had at least one deer for winter meat, she made the mincemeat with finely chopped venison bits and pieces, left over from cutting up the deer.
She not only made mincemeat pies for Christmas, but she also canned extra mincemeat, so she could make pies at other times of the year.

Now, it is really hard to even find a mincemeat pie in the stores, either fresh or frozen, and buying the little jars and boxes of mincemeat is very expensive.
And none of them have any actual meat in them, like real mincemeat is supposed to have.

I am looking at the recipe that Aunt Bea posted, and I think that I might try making my own mincemeat, and see how it turns out.
One of my favorite ways to use the canned mincemeat is in cinnamon rolls, instead of just adding plain raisins, and making “Cinnamince” rolls instead.
Both of my sons like mincemeat, but my daughter , Robin, will not touch it. She doesn’t even like pumpkin pie, although she will actually eat that on occasion.
She wants plain apple pie.

I've never tasted it ...never thought the ingredients combo sounded remotely appetizing. Don't like fruitcake with candied fruit either. I did, however, make a fruitcake one Christmas using dried fruit, pecans and brandy. The primary dried fruits were apricots and peaches. It was pretty good, but not so good that it inspired me to make it again.

Back