Mississippi changing state flag

Sunny

SF VIP
So Mississippi is removing the stars and bars from their flag. I'm wondering: what are they changing it to? Hopefully, something neutral.

So Mississippi is removing the stars and bars from their flag. I'm wondering: what are they changing it to? Hopefully, something neutral.

We don't know yet. There are a couple I really like, one of which celebrates MS's 20th state status. It seems to be the favorite according to social media.

It's been interesting to follow reactions on social media. Most of my friends are overwhelmingly positive and have wanted a change for years. I followed comments 'live' yesterday during the debate and vote. Most of the naysayers wanted another statewide referendum like the 2001 one to change the flag that failed. Most of those looked like they'd turn out to vote to keep the Confederate battle flag but not much else. One young girl accused me of "revisionist history" when I pointed out that it was the KKK that gave the flag its most negative connotations when they carried it as they burned and lynched. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Hospitality Flag 2 .jpg
    Hospitality Flag 2 .jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I went to a car show yesterday in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. There were all kinds of Confederate flags and stickers for sale and people were buying them.

I went to a car show yesterday in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. There were all kinds of Confederate flags and stickers for sale and people were buying them.

That's odd... I noticed protestors of Covid-19 measures at the Michigan capitol carrying them. All I can think is that people outside the South are using it as some sort of white pride thing. They obviously don't get its history as a Klan symbol ...or maybe they do which is frightening. The Southern heritage thing some people are hung up on down here, I kinda sorta 'get' ...until I think of what it means to my black friends. When I think of them, discuss it with them, there's no way I could ever support its continued use.

That's odd... I noticed protestors of Covid-19 measures at the Michigan capitol carrying them. All I can think is that people outside the South are using it as some sort of white pride thing. They obviously don't get its history as a Klan symbol ...or maybe they do which is frightening. The Southern heritage thing some people are hung up on down here, I kinda sorta 'get' ...until I think of what it means to my black friends. When I think of them, discuss it with them, there's no way I could ever support its continued use.
So, just to help everyone understand, Carlisle is just outside (not too far) of Gettysburg. Also, when you’re in Carlisle, you’re at the foothills of the Blue Mountains, which means that there probably was a significant number of rednecks in attendance. I don’t want to mislead anyone when I use that word ‘Redneck.’ They are good people. Well, most of them are anyway.

There was a fellow there that had a stroke and diabetes. He couldn’t speak, so he either pointed to certain things or wrote on an erase board what he wanted to say. He had a 1955 yellow Corvette sitting there for sale. Asking price was (is) $119,000.00. I’ll see if I can post a picture of it. Stand by.

Last edited:

From an old Robert Altman movie (Thieves Like Us): they could show a picture of the state bird (the mosquito)

Sorry to any Mississippians, it's one of eight states I've never been to.

No they didn't. Driving Dixie down was a Good Thing.

er, just a lame joke, although the song does take a positive view of the Southern cause, from the point of view of a poor, non-slave owning white Southerner.

So if the Dixie Chicks have changed their name to The Chicks (facepalm) and Lady Antebellum to Lady A (another facepalm) then somebody is going to take down this song from The Band.

And how has Little Feat's "Dixie Chicken" survived so long?

er, just a lame joke, although the song does take a positive view of the Southern cause, from the point of view of a poor, non-slave owning white Southerner.

So if the Dixie Chicks have changed their name to The Chicks (facepalm) and Lady Antebellum to Lady A (another facepalm) then somebody is going to take down this song from The Band.

And how has Little Feat's "Dixie Chicken" survived so long?

Will Dixie Cups be eliminated too? Everyone will need to start drinking from styrofoam! :ROFLMAO:

One of the descriptions of Pennsylvania is the there are two large cities, Philly on one end, Pittsburg on the other, and Alabama in between. In PA, we have a diversity of opinions. As to people displaying the Confederate battle flag, they don't use because it looks pretty. It's a symbol of white supremacy, and anti-governmentism. It's pretty much what the Confederacy stood for.

Back